Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
But not new to Star bikes. I have had two Vstar 1100's, 3 Roadstars 1600's, A Honda Shadow 750, And a Royal Star Venture. Currently I own a 2005 RSTD my friend left me when he passed. A 2006 Stratoliner I just picked up. I also have a 2003 Electra Glide and a 2007 Victory Kingpin. Very new to the Stratoliner, I heard about the 3rd gear problems so I'm here doing some research.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Its my understanding that it was the 06/07 model years and not all of them.
How many miles does it have on it?

I just picked up an 08 Stratoliner S myself for travel. two weeks ago.
Also have a 01 Road star custom. And a 13 Raider S.

·
Super Moderator
6,300 Posts
Welcome from East Tennessee. Any pics you’d like to share with us? We love pics here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
It is my understanding that the third gear issue is like the loud minority meaning it does happen but is talked about more than it actually happens. It is the result of faulty metal used in the gear that causes the teeth on the gear to break. Have read where it happens on the bikes made in Canada which can be determined by the VIN number but not sure how. Sure google can help with that. I love my Stratoliner and would buy another without hesitation. Mine is an 08 that I bought 2 years ago with 17000 miles on it. It now has 32000 and i have had no problems at all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If your 113 has less than 50K on it I wouldn't worry, and like the OP said,
very damn few had a problem, it's talked to death and that's about IT

You have/had many of the same bikes as me. IMO this 113 is the best big cruiser I have ever owned.
It does everything I ask, and torque out the ying yang, you'll soon prefer it as your "go to" ride
I have a road king gathering dust here, may as well sell it, I have a RUSH slip on on my 113 (06 Roadliner "S")
as well as a Batwing, and a ED solo seat, (www.edseats.ca) comfort city, man. Has the Ultimate and Mustang seats beat hands down!

It's a Street Glide Look Alike, but as yamaha used to say
"IT'S A BETTER MACHINE". those who knock em haven't owned one
Show me a better machine and I'll buy it.

Enjoy your bad arse 113!

·
Super Moderator
6,300 Posts
I gotta tell ya liner, that is one healthy muscular looking bike, I’d be proud to be seen anywhere riding it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I gotta tell ya liner, that is one healthy muscular looking bike, I’d be proud to be seen anywhere riding it!

Liner here, aka tbird71, Man, this is a SLOW website, way too busy for my OUTDATED UNIT...

Thanks, I also put a Royal Star Backrest on it, the strato backrest sits 3 stories tall ruins the looks IMO

Yeah, this is the reason my Road King's gathering dust. Harley just doesn'y make a bike quite like this
for ANY amount of money, and believe me i've rode wm all. The ol 113 here is one of the best buys out there, 5 grand will get you a really nice one right now, and as you probably know they're worth far more
in riding enjoyment, enjoy, stay safe and have fun on YOUR torque monster! Gotta Love em!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bent;

Thanks!

Yes it's a stock Royal Star Backrest, I think 2000-2001? vintage
I got it off ebay, had to horse it in the strato uprights as it was a tad wider but got it to fit
The pad is leather! That stock strato backrest just didnt cut it for me

Hope everyone's enjoying the summer, and gettin some ridin time in
on those nice 113s

·
Registered
11 Posts
Liner...............
I was wondering how you like that batwing fairing that you have?
How's the low windshield treat you for wind buffeting ?
I am thinking about a Memphis batwing with a 6.5 inch spoiler windshield and wonder peoples thoughts .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Maineman;

The smaller windshields LOOK better, but you will def notice the buffeting.

I am now running a stock HD 10" windshield, and does much better.

If you get the batwing and want to get a taller shield do not buy one of
those cheap chinese ones...they will literally bend down over 60 MPH
Get a stock Harley shield, one item where you get what you pay for

·
Registered
11 Posts
I believe I will get the memphis shades bat wing wtih the 6.5 inch spoiler (curved) windshield . The spoiler is supposed to be like a 2.5 inch taller shield so 6.5 and 2.5 should act like a 9 inch windshield .
Thanks for the insight and congrats on a beautiful bike .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nothin wrong with a MS batwing, that 6.5 spoiler WS may be high enough, if not there's always the HD 10". (here's mine with the HD 10" WS installed)

You won't regret mounting that batwing. You'll now have twice the bike as a street glide at half the cost.
Post couple pics when done. We'd love to see it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts