Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - I'm new to the forums and wanted to pick your mind about something.

I just bought my 1st bike, 2013 Yamaha V-Star 950 Tourer with 15k Miles.

Not knowing the past maintenance besides the dealerships oil change and safety inspection, what type of initial maintenance should I have performed on it? Oil, Spark plugs, brake fluid, etc...?

I am in an area with a bunch of different Bike specific mechanics. Some are dealerships, and others are just Bob's Garage type places. I was able to get a warranty for fender to tail light when I bought the bike, but it would only be serviced at an authorized dealership. Do you think going to Bob's Garage (who BTW has outstanding ratings on Yelp and Google) cause me any issues with the warranty in the future? Or should I just stick to the local dealerships?

Appreciate all help, feedback, comments you provide.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
If you have a warranty and there is a Yamaha dealer near that would sound like my plan. As for me my bike is a 2001 with 35000 miles i would do Bob for all the stuff i can't do myself. In 40+ years i have never had to do that.. There are a lot of 950 owners here that will have a ton of info for you. Welcome from bike in in hibernation Wisconsin

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
10,524 Posts
Noticed this is your first post. Might want to visit the New Members Introduction section so we can get to know you. The required maintenance is in the repair manual, free link below, look at section 3, page 1 -3 for quick maintenance schedule. If it was me I would bring all maintenance up to date to ensure safe and enjoyable riding.

·
Administrator
14,789 Posts
if you prefer to get regular maintenance done at a cheaper shop, like oil and tire changes and such, it should not have any effect on your warranty. anything that would need some kind of fix or repair then i would recommend using the fancy warranty to pay for it. as for what should get checked out now, follow the owner's guide for periodic maintenance. if you're not sure when the last time anything has been done on it, i absolutely recommend an immediate oil and brake fluid change, check brake pads, tires, and anything else in the manual it says to check within the first 15,000 miles. and at 16,000 miles is when a valve clearance/spark plug check should occur so might be a good idea to check that while you're at it. if you have some tools and a willingness to save some money, there are numerous youtube vids that are very helpful in several maintenance procedures.

the only recall that i'm aware of that has been performed for the 950 occurred up to model year 2012 so nothing to worry about there, though it is well known that the 950 has inherent issues with drive belt tension due to the factory specs recommending it be tighter than necessary. the manufacturer recommends 3mm-5mm of belt tension but as countless 950 owners will attest due to issues with belts or pulleys or pulley nuts needing to be prematurely replaced, the bike much prefers a belt tension around 7mm or a tad more. the dealership will most likely only stay within the manufacturer specs because that is what they are supposed to do, and you might be fine leaving it there as not every single 950 owner runs into problems, but it is recommended by a lot of us who have seem our problems go away by loosing the belt tension.

·
Super Moderator
7,863 Posts
Deeks, Bevo, and Les are all correct. Introduce yourself on the new members section, and get an owners manual. Both the wife and I own 950’s. Easy to work on, and Bevo is correct about the belt tension from the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome! Thanks everyone.
I knew I came to the right place for these questions. I appreciate the great answers.

I've setup an appt with the local dealer for a safety inspection and possibly the 16k maintenance. It should cover the most of what is needed for now. As Bevo suggests, I'll probably go to the cheaper more reviewed garage going forward unless something is required for warranty. Just at first might as well have the dealership look at it so I can say the main maintenance was done at the dealership if it ever comes up.

For the belt tension, what is the symptoms of the too tight belt? Is it just the extra maintenance and wear on pulleys and pulley nuts?? Anything come up during ridding that I should watch out for?

I've read the Manual, downloaded it to the iPad and Phone for reference in the field. Purchased some small crescent wrenches, socket set, multi-screwdriver, Power On Demand Battery jumper with air pump. All things I'll carry with me.

Anything else that I should carry for on the road repairs? Zip Ties?

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
10,524 Posts
I've got saddlebags and carry a pretty complete road side repair kit. Luckily for me I've helped other bikers more than I've needed it. Other than what you have listed I carry: zip ties, piece of bailing wire (for non Texas people, similar to thin coat hanger :ROFLMAO: :LOL:) electrical tape, short piece of electrical wire, spare fuses, tire plugs, quart of oil and Allen wrenches. My emergency saddlebag also has two rain suits, mine and wife's, spare gloves and side stand puck. I think that's all. It almost fills up the saddlebag, but with my luck, if I don't have it, I'll need it. I know some of you are thinking, "he's on a Harley now and needs all that to fix it". Other than stator repair all other repair items have been self inflicted. ?

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
I'm on an 1100 but I would assume the 950 has a similar small pack of tools under the seat area behind a easily removed cover. I mention this so you don't duplicate what's already there in case you hadn't found them yet.

BTW, this is not my bike, this is a 950 listed on cycletrader.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got saddlebags and carry a pretty complete road side repair kit. Luckily for me I've helped other bikers more than I've needed it. Other than what you have listed I carry: zip ties, piece of bailing wire (for non Texas people, similar to thin coat hanger :ROFLMAO: :LOL:) electrical tape, short piece of electrical wire, spare fuses, tire plugs, quart of oil and Allen wrenches. My emergency saddlebag also has two rain suits, mine and wife's, spare gloves and side stand puck. I think that's all. It almost fills up the saddlebag, but with my luck, if I don't have it, I'll need it. I know some of you are thinking, "he's on a Harley now and needs all that to fix it". Other than stator repair all other repair items have been self inflicted. ?

Thank you. I got some more to add to my kit.

I still need to get a rain suit for the current rainy season, but it only rains here for like 2-3 months in the year and I don't want to lose out on anytime to ride. Also I don't want to fear any type of weather (severe weather as an exception) that I could encounter in riding and need to experience it and work through it. (Typing this more for me then anything else :D )

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm on an 1100 but I would assume the 950 has a similar small pack of tools under the seat area behind a easily removed cover. I mention this so you don't duplicate what's already there in case you hadn't found them yet.

View attachment 90804

Thank you!

I checked out my bike. No cover, but there is a key lock that releases the riders seat. Under it is the battery and a space for what looks like a small tool packet but it's not there. I'll see if Ebay has one to replace it.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Thank you!

I checked out my bike. No cover, but there is a key lock that releases the riders seat. Under it is the battery and a space for what looks like a small tool packet but it's not there. I'll see if Ebay has one to replace it.
I hate when people keep them rather than pass them with the bike. Having said that my bike came with them but i am afraid to look to see what is in there because you can never get them all back in. I am pretty luck most of the bikes i have bought have had the tools.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found one on eBay. I’ll try to put it back in. But still have the other tools in my saddlebags.

I did notice that under the seat is a helmet lock. Does anyone use this or do you use something else?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I don't use mine because the bags are in the way. I have seen threads here where they moved them to the back rack which would work for me. All my bikes thru the years have had them but i never really used them. I just set it on the back rest.

·
Administrator
14,789 Posts
For the belt tension, what is the symptoms of the too tight belt? Is it just the extra maintenance and wear on pulleys and pulley nuts?? Anything come up during ridding that I should watch out for?
main symptom is a squeaky squealing sound which means it might be too late to avoid having to replace something. i started hearing a squealing at the 30k mile mark and found out that my belt had been stretched out and had to be replaced. i started hearing squealing again around the 40k mile mark on my 2nd belt but luckily this was remedied by spraying chain lube along the edge of the belt and i haven't heard it again since.

i use the helmet 'lock' tab on my bike if i don't want to bring my helmet inside with me somewhere. that's what it's there for.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
main symptom is a squeaky squealing sound which means it might be too late to avoid having to replace something. i started hearing a squealing at the 30k mile mark and found out that my belt had been stretched out and had to be replaced. i started hearing squealing again around the 40k mile mark on my 2nd belt but luckily this was remedied by spraying chain lube along the edge of the belt and i haven't heard it again since.

i use the helmet 'lock' tab on my bike if i don't want to bring my helmet inside with me somewhere. that's what it's there for.

Wow thanks for the info. Thats something I'll be sure to listen for.

Also thank you for the link. I did find a kit on eBay. I'll add it to the bike to complete the original set. Not sure if there is something else I'm missing that originally came with the bike. I'd like to have everything so that when the time comes I can pass the whole bike with everything along.

How hard do you find pulling up the seat every time you want to lock your helmet?
I guess it would just take practice to get used to it, but was wondering. I also have a gun lock for the helmet as some others have suggested. Just not sure which to use for security, as well as ease of use for me.

·
Registered
2001 VStar 650 Classic
510 Posts

View attachment 90804
That's a good looking 950..

Reactions: Keith Post

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
the only tool that is valuable in the stock tool kits is the spanner for adjusting the preload on the rear mono shock

the rest of the tools are functional, you could get a spark plug off or tighten up your axle nuts with the little tools in there, in a pinch

but if you really want to be able to work on your bike away from home, start buying a real tool set with the sockets and allen bits you need for your bike

and the first thing you should get is a torque wrench

of course none of this will fit where the factory tool set goes

I dont carry any tools on my bikes - I do my best to keep the the bikes 100% all the time, and so far Ive never had anything come loose. The only tool Ive used on the road is the 5mm allen wrench for adjusting the angles on the windshield and the fork deflectors, for the infinite task of trying to get them just right and eliminate head buffeting. I keep that in my jacket pocket, with the spare key for the bike.

The most useful thing I keep in the factory tool storage compartment is a zip lock bag with $20, various bandages, neosporin, Advil, earplugs, antacid pills...
I figured out years ago if I ever lost my wallet 100 miles from home, or my debit card quit working, what would I need to keep from having to call home?

I figure the $20 will get me 4 gallons of gas (240 mile range) plus lunch at BurgerKing, or anything else that might come up on a day trip.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I went to two different companies today. One Motorcycle Garage and the other a local dealer service center. Both gave the V-Star 950T a clean bill of health as well as a quote for the 16k maintenance.

I took the opportunity to ride around part of San Jose and was throughly enjoying the time. I was able to attend to some chores which was great to do all the while having fun. Who knew chores could be fun.

I've been adding to my tool kit that is in one of the saddlebags. Everything is in a small tool bag I picked up at homedepot. Got a socket set, multihead screw driver, select few crescent wrenches (Useful so far as the damn mirrors keep moving), zip ties (multisizes), electrical tape, flashlight, and a leatherman.

Thank you everyone for the great information. Its all very helpful.

If you want, I took a few pictures today and updated my Showcase at Red Betty, the 2013 Yamaha V-Star 950 Tourer

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the only tool that is valuable in the stock tool kits is the spanner for adjusting the preload on the rear mono shock

the rest of the tools are functional, you could get a spark plug off or tighten up your axle nuts with the little tools in there, in a pinch

but if you really want to be able to work on your bike away from home, start buying a real tool set with the sockets and allen bits you need for your bike

and the first thing you should get is a torque wrench

of course none of this will fit where the factory tool set goes

I dont carry any tools on my bikes - I do my best to keep the the bikes 100% all the time, and so far Ive never had anything come loose. The only tool Ive used on the road is the 5mm allen wrench for adjusting the angles on the windshield and the fork deflectors, for the infinite task of trying to get them just right and eliminate head buffeting. I keep that in my jacket pocket, with the spare key for the bike.

The most useful thing I keep in the factory tool storage compartment is a zip lock bag with $20, various bandages, neosporin, Advil, earplugs, antacid pills...
I figured out years ago if I ever lost my wallet 100 miles from home, or my debit card quit working, what would I need to keep from having to call home?

I figure the $20 will get me 4 gallons of gas (240 mile range) plus lunch at BurgerKing, or anything else that might come up on a day trip.

I'm hoping that I can pair down the toolkit I take with me and leave most of it behind and give myself some more saddlebag space.

Great idea for the emergency pack in the tool storage including the cash for gas and food. I'm going to adopt this for this bike. Thank you.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts