Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, so I picked up this super clean Vstar yesterday. I think I was a little "starry eyed" when I was buying it. I knew it needed a front tire but I didn't see the back was deteriorated as well. Here is what I have done to the bike so far. I replaced both the front and back tire with Dunlop 404's. Made a HUGE difference in the handling in ride. I replaced engine oil, oil filter, and final drive oil. I replaced both of the spark plugs.

When the tires were getting installed, they commented that the front brake pads were "saturated" with fluid and they think it might be fork oil, though no signs that the seals are leaking, may have been a past issue that was fixed but left the brake pads in their deteriorated condition. I had thought the brake fluid or a brake bleed would help, but I wound up pulling the caliper off and cleaning the whole assembly. Still does not work that well. So last on my list is to throw on some new pads. That and I have an air filter on the way.

Anything else you would do? The bike is otherwise very tight and smooth, runs and rides VERY well. I can see why they are so popular. I have had older ones but this 08' is a LOT better than the older models I have had.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
sounds like you got it well covered.

if the air filter is grey like an old teeshirt then replace it. You will be surprised how much power you get back.

How many miles are on the bike? If it might have been sitting awhile, put 4 ounces of Seafoam in a full tank of gas, it will clean out any gunk in the carbs.

depending on what the odo reads, you might want to change the fuel filter (under the gas tank).

when you replaced the rear tire, if you did it yourself, did you look at the spline on the drive shaft? The 60% moly grease tends to look black and nasty, but that's how it suppose to look. If you happened to wipe it off and put some other kind of grease on instead, you need to get some 60% moly and re-grease it. If you are not sure what kind of grease is on the drive shaft (if someone else changed the tire for you) ask them, or check it.

Since you will have to pull the wheel off you should check the rest of the splines in the final drive while you are at it. If the bike has less than... maybe 20k miles the final drive splines should still be ok.

650 CC & D

EDIT: just realized you did not say which Vstar you got. Not all are shaft drive, some have belt drive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bike has 10400 miles. I did not do the rear tire, although it looks pretty easy, I had no way of breaking the bead or installing the new tire. The final drive oil was pretty dark, that surprised me a bit. Engine oil was clean and full and the oil filter looked great. I haven't pulled the air filter, waiting till the new one arrives.

I am looking for some brake pads, but otherwise, looking forward to another ride tonight. : )

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
changing the tires is a lot of physical work if you don't have the machine. It can be done with big C clamps and tire irons and a bottle of windex.

If you have final drive oil then you have a shaft drive - 650?
the final oil is usually dark and smelly right out of the bottle, 80W oil is heavy stuff to begin with.

If you took the bike to a Yamaha dealer or other well trained bike shop, they should have known what to put on the drive shaft spline. If you took it to 3 finger Joes Garage, you might want to stop in and ask him "oh... btw....what kind of moly 60 do you use. If he shows you a tube of bearing grease, then you need to get the moly.

With only 10k miles on the bike, the rest of the final drive splines will be fine. Its just the one that is exposed when you pull the wheel off, that you need to worry about someone wiping off the good stuff and putting bearing grease on it.

for now you are good, if you feel the front brakes are solid then ride ride ride.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Dude, you are supposed to jinx me..... I had it done at the "fancy" place, but, that is not always the place you find the best techs, although in this case I feel pretty confident, but I will ask to be safe. They carry EVERYTHING and a tire change on a 10yr bike prolly not high priority. If you say its important, I am on it though. : )

And I did not know you could get a belt on an older one? I like belts.

·
Super Moderator
3,292 Posts
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. Some VStars are belt drive, like the 950, 1300 (?) and Road Star .The 650 and 1100 are both shaft drive. You never did say which one you have.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2007 1100 with 27,000 miles. I installed new tires last week and my driveshaft looks great. Applied fresh grease and checked all my specs. I did notice the driveshaft seal located at the hud is stretched out. The spring around the seal is also needing replaced.

It appears that 27000 miles is the time for that and fork oil to be changed. No leaks yet, but id rather replace it before repairing it. I installed new brake pads front and rear also. Still using my factory rotors! Both front and the single rear. I always install pads before they get to low and apparantly it has been good for my rotors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, laces are gangsta! They are pretty dirty, I will probably touch those up in the morning, having fun getting it cleaned up and dialed in...

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
SD1, you got a vstar 650, the model is called "Custom" which I think is a stupid name for a model, almost as stupid as my 650 model "Classic".. How can a stock bike from the factory be custom? Marketing people - that's how. IF you notice in my garage photo, all the badges and labels have been removed from my bike.

the 650 and 1100's look almost the same from a distance. the 650 has rear fender chrome support rails that go all the way to the frame. On the 1100 they are only about 1 foot long and look like a piece of trim.

I like the bigger front wheel on the custom, it has a sorta dirt-bike look to it, like you could ride it anywhere (but I would not recommend that, you cannot stand up on the pegs on these bikes).

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
you said you had older ones, you mean older Yamaha models or an older Vstar?

something you may not be aware of: Vtwins on Harleys are long stroke low reving engines. These vstar bikes have a shorter stroke and are designed to rev higher. Your bike hits its peak HP at 55mph in 4th gear and 70mph in 5th gear, but if you want you can ride it all the way down to 30mph in 5th puttering thru town at a steady speed.

If you take the bike out on an open road, shift into 4th at 30mph and hold the throttle wide open its a rush how the power picks up when you hit 55 - the stock airbox literally growls like a wild animal. Kick up into 5th gear and it will do it again wide open at 70mph.

people tend to lug these bikes around because they are Vtwins, and never find the peak HP when accelerating.

you may need to put that new air filter in the bike to get the full effect, if it has never been changed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you said you had older ones, you mean older Yamaha models or an older Vstar?

something you may not be aware of: Vtwins on Harleys are long stroke low reving engines. These vstar bikes have a shorter stroke and are designed to rev higher. Your bike hits its peak HP at 55mph in 4th gear and 70mph in 5th gear, but if you want you can ride it all the way down to 30mph in 5th puttering thru town at a steady speed.

If you take the bike out on an open road, shift into 4th at 30mph and hold the throttle wide open its a rush how the power picks up when you hit 55 - the stock airbox literally growls like a wild animal. Kick up into 5th gear and it will do it again wide open at 70mph.

people tend to lug these bikes around because they are Vtwins, and never find the peak HP when accelerating.

you may need to put that new air filter in the bike to get the full effect, if it has never been changed.
I have had older Vstars, this is my second 650 and I have had 2 1100's. I like the narrow front end with the lace wheel but honestly, if it has two wheels and a motor, I will ride it. And yeah I have not been beating on it, but I def know to get it up in the rev range, even when I am going slower (this bike isn't exactly quick) but its fun to keep it on the boil and blast around. I would like to have a tack, but I will use your 55mph marker and see what happens!!

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
there is a popular website that will tell you the RPMs for your specific bike based on what gear you are in and your speed.

I forget what its called, but if you google its not hard to find.

Top speed on the 650 is about 102mph on a stock bike, and I have been told it has a rev limiter, but I have not been able to confirm that.

·
Registered
186 Posts
102 mph? I have had 3 650's, a classic, a custom, and now my wife's classic. I have never had one to go more than 96 mph. I would assume that it would be due to my size, but I am currently 50 lb heavier than when I had the first two, and my wife's still hits 96.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
I would think its more aerodynamics, you probably have to be lying flat on the tank with your nose on the speedo to hit 102.

Going down a big hill with a tailwind might be easier, but I think that's where the rev limiter kicks in.

Or maybe its just the HP limit of the bike. In 5th gear the HP peaks at 70mph, at 100 its rolled off back down.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts