Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I brought home my latest addition today: XVS1300 2007

This is several firsts for me. Largest-displacement bike I've ever owned, First fuel-injected bike I've ever owned, first "darkside" bike with an auto/flat rear tire, first bike <10 years old I've ever owned.

A few issues I'm debating

1) Air filter. Are pods even relevant on a fuel injected bike? If so are any adjustments needed (aka like on a carb bike when you re-jet?) OR will just replacing the stock filter with a K&N be sufficient to add power?

2) Replace pipes? I've been very happy with my Cobra pipes on the VS 1100. Not thrilled with the sound of the stock pipes, and as always free-flowing is better (right?)

3) That car tire on the back. Feels weird to me, which is as-expected. The conventional wisdom is it take a while to get used to "the new normal"... But my gut is to go get an MC tire put back on (e.g. the Commander II's I have on my other bike and am very happy with).

I can already tell you I'm very pleased with the power, gearing and seat/position vs. my 1100 (but don't get me wrong, the 1100 is still a bike I love... and whether it stays or goes is up in the air...)

·
Registered
418 Posts
The 1300s are pretty good bikes right out of the box. If it doesn't have a Jack's O2 mod on it, that would be the first thing I would do. It makes it behave better at low RPMs. Someone did torque curves on the 1300 with and without a pod. The two curves were very close up to about 3200 RPM. It all depends upon the rider. My 1300 (2015) with just the Jack's O2 mod and a different windshield work great for me but, that's me. Ride it a bit and see how she behaves. Congratulations. Augie :smile:

·
Administrator
13,705 Posts
just replacing your air filter shouldn't add any significant air to your fuel mix, thus should not give you any additional noticeable power. if you're wanting to add power, then you're probably looking at replacing your air intake. the stock is pretty obstructive.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks @bevo

FWIW, I had the rear "car" tire replaced today. Only took me a day or so of riding to say... uh... "no". 100% improved since the replacement. No dis to the 'darksiders' among us, YMMV. If my riding was heavily interstate long-range, straight stuff I mighta kept it. For my riding style, definitely no.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I went with the Cobra PowrFlo air cleaner/k&n filter, with the Cobra Slip on muffler, and a Cobra processor (3 manually adjustable PODS) when I had a 1300. I think the air cleaner change made the most difference in performance, but the slip on muffler was a really nice sound difference.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Congrats....

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went with the Cobra PowrFlo air cleaner/k&n filter, with the Cobra Slip on muffler, and a Cobra processor (3 manually adjustable PODS) when I had a 1300. I think the air cleaner change made the most difference in performance, but the slip on muffler was a really nice sound difference.
Yeah, I ordered up the Cobra slip-on strictly for sound. The stock is just a bit too wussy for my taste. Don't need straight-pipe roar, but having listened to stock vs. slipon online, I'm sold.

·
Super Moderator
6,783 Posts
Congrats on your new to you ride. You'll enjoy the Cobra slip-on, great sound but not obnoxious and it won't make the neighbors angry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,681 Posts
a car tire on a motorcycle?! thats nuts.

The original owner of my 650 wore a flat center into the back wheel - I think he was afraid to use the front brake
and I could feel that on corners, leaning it over that 'edge'.

Whats more, central PA is motorcycle heaven! If you lived in Iowa where all roads run straight across the entire state then...

no... car tire is just nuts!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
a car tire on a motorcycle?! thats nuts.

The original owner of my 650 wore a flat center into the back wheel - I think he was afraid to use the front brake
and I could feel that on corners, leaning it over that 'edge'.

Whats more, central PA is motorcycle heaven! If you lived in Iowa where all roads run straight across the entire state then...

no... car tire is just nuts!
I changed out the car tire within 48 hours. Didn't take but a couple rides to know THAT was going.

Having said that, there's lots of true believers that swear by them and 'will never go back'... I don't 'get' it and certainly didn't 'feel' it. I suppose if you ride a goldwing only on dead-flat-straight interstates out in the great plains... then maybe???

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I've been running a car tire on my 1100 Classic since I got it and love it. Handles great, even in the twisties. And there are a lot of them in the southwestern PA area. I guess it's an acquired taste.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been running a car tire on my 1100 Classic since I got it and love it. Handles great, even in the twisties. And there are a lot of them in the southwestern PA area. I guess it's an acquired taste.
I'm the first one to say 'to each their own'

For me, it's not a taste I even wanted to acquire: I could 'feel' it transitioning on and off the flat, and just hated that.

For you it's great and you're happy with it. Great!

KC

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
caseyjones,

is that the short or tall upright back rest on your bike?
Honestly, I have no idea.

If you held a gun to my head and made me guess, I'd say "tall" since the windshield is definitely the tall one, and I find the backrest fits me well at 6'1"... But that's just a guess.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts