Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 28 years old and have been riding motorcycles in the dirt and on the street since I can remember. I have had dirt bikes and sport bikes in the past and wanted to get back into the hobby.

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a 2007 Vstar 1300 tour and was loving it after taking off the windscreen. It has 2100 original miles on it and was covered in the garage. I went everywhere on it and was getting comfortable. I went on a bunch of short rides with my girlfriend on the back and she was loving it as well. She has been riding dirt bikes her whole life and her family rides so she is a seasoned street passenger.

On Sunday, we (my girlfriend and I) and my buddy (riding a Victory) started in Fair Oaks, California and road to Ione, Commanche, and all over the back roads. We decided it was time to head home and jumped on Twin Cities Road to head back to HWY 99. Everything was great. The road is long and very straight and I was following him at the speed limit. All of a sudden, the back of the bike kicked out and we were wobbling. There was no way to save it so I mashed the breaks and put us in the grassy shoulder. We went down at what I think was about 35mph.

I am a huge proponent of All the Gear All the Time so we were both fully suited up with full face helmets. We both got up and walked away. She has a sprained shoulder and I have a couple of broken ribs from hitting the handlebars. We both know it could have been a lot worse.

My question is, has anyone on a Vstar ever had this happen? I went back to the spot where is happened and did not find any gravel or oil. I also have never had this happen on any other bike. I had checked the tires and pressure before the ride.

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The only time I've heard that kind of thing described it was a flat tire. Maybe a snall-ish animal that was able to get off the road? I'm sure others will have a better idea of what it could have been. Glad you are mostly OK.

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
Hey ns,
First off, glad you both were able to walk away with only minor injuries. I had a similar incident a very long time ago on my Honda dream 150. It was my rear tire that went flat rather quickly. I had checked my tires right before this happened, so I was stumped at the time. Again I'm glad you're both ok. Was there any damage to your bike?

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have an 09 Vstar 1300 and can say I've never experienced such. There may be a more experienced Op that can point to a cause but these bikes aren't known to have any inherent problems. Are the tires original? I'm assuming they are considering the low miles. I'd replace them immediately as they've aged out, regardless of the minimal prior use.

I'm glad you and your passenger walked away and hope your injuries heal quickly!

·
Registered
62 Posts
i'st glad your in pretty good shape but now you'll find out that you'll end up sleeping in a recliner for the next couple months as i when i went down last summer, 2nd time in 45 yrs of riding. the only thing that comes to mind is being the bike is 5 yrs old i would be suspicious of the tires being somewhat dry rotted. i change mine every 2-3 yrs tops. better safe then sorry. now a word of advice, don't laugh, cough or sneeze or you'll think you just died an went to hell. good luck an get well quick.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Have you checked EVERYTHING in the rear of the bike itself? Are any fasteners loose, bearings/bushings worn? I would go through the entire bike, or pay someone to do it and pretty much inspect everything.
Most importantly I'm glad to hear you guys are ok. Obviously it could have been much worse.

·
Registered
421 Posts
You didn't actually say it, but it sounds to me as if the rear tire failed. Just as a matter of interest, I think I would want to weigh the bike, front and rear, with the same load it had on it. That is, you and your girlfriend, with whatever you were wearing at the time, plus anything you might have had in or on the bike (saddlebags, whatever). I would then look at the sidewall of the tire for its load rating. It is easy to overload a motorcycle or its tires.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The tires are original but had no signs of cracking. The bike is at Capitol Yamaha in Sacramento now. I am having them go through the entire bike to see if there was any mechanical malfunction as well as replace all of the broken parts. Insurance is taking care of the parts and pieces. I am also going to have them replace the tires.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, the tire wasn't flat after the accident. I am thinking a car moving the opposite direction kicked a rock in my direction?

·
Registered
882 Posts
No, the tire wasn't flat after the accident. I am thinking a car moving the opposite direction kicked a rock in my direction?
As you're a dirt rider you'd have had no problem if it was rocks, sand, any debris, even a little oil as you would have instinctively powered through and not panic'd.

Rule of thumb on the street is 4 years for tires no matter how few miles are on them. That it wasn't flat seems to say the tire wasn't compromised, dry rotted but, that would other wise be my guess.

If not the tire, something has to be wrong with the rear.

·
Registered
46 Posts
:( Up until January I owned a 2009 V-star 1300 and racked up 38,000 miles including a trip to Sturgis and back (3900 miles in 8 days). I ran a Shinko Radial oversize tire with 31T primary pully. I have found the 1300 to have a low center of gravity and very stable platform to ride on.
Three years back my brother and I had taken a weekend trip to Midland, TX for a VFW commanders run. On the way home we had to avoid I-20 due to weather so we took another route further south. I was on the frontage road heading east approaching an intersection with an entrance lane heading south. I was watching for traffic coming out from under the overpass and didn't see the patch of diesel spilled all over my lane. Needless to say I had a moment of weightlessness as the bike slid sideways before going down. Luckily I wasn't going fast so I just kicked off the bike and tucked in. Banged my helmet against the pavement a few times but came out with only a few bumps and bruises. My brother was on the inside of the lane so he missed the puddle. I was so pissed off that some idiot would spill that much fuel and not call it in so the DOT could at least cover it up.
I have had other vehicles from approaching lanes kick up rocks and debris that has hit me or my wife. The last time was from a truck three lanes over tossed a rock that hit my hand. Even with gloves on it still hurt like hell.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I'd be interested in seeing the inside of the rear tire to see if there is damage that can't be seen from the outside. Glad you guys made it out relatively unscathed.
I was wondering about that but assumed that with what he describes it would have lost air or just blown.

·
Registered
882 Posts
My brother was on the inside of the lane so he missed the puddle. I was so pissed off that some idiot would spill that much fuel and not call it in so the DOT could at least cover it up.
This past Sunday I was coming off the Blue Ridge Parking at Waynesboro, VA, taking a left to go South on 250 and hit an enormous pile up of road sand and the dirt bike skills took over saved it easy.

As I understand it, oil, there's nothing you can do.

·
Registered
46 Posts
With all the drilling and oil exploration here in west Texas, I've been observing a lot more oil on the road than usual. Really have to be on your guard. Recently went on ride with HOG group and almost had a repeat performance. Diesel spilled on access ramp; luckily we were going slow so no one went down. Bit faster and we would have had a pileup.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Re: New Bike-Went down on Sunday

Have been following this thread for a few days, now. First, grateful to read you and your girlfriend are ok after mishap.

Concern that no one on the forum has suggested anything to do with alignment of your bike??? The G.M.D. Computrack is used, not only for racing bikes, but to set up a chassis optimization on any bike and it will also indicate chassis setups that work well for a particular motorcycle. This particular company has the means to accurately check every aspect to your bike's chassis alignment. It might be an answer to the mystery as to why the back wheel wobbled uncontrollably and the tire did not go flat????

G.M.D Computrack-(866) 332-2244

Safe riding~YammyV

·
Registered
417 Posts
What was the road surface like? With no blowout/flat tire, I'm curious if there was a groove, patch edge or expansion joint in the road. The wobble you describe could have been caused by a gouge in the road or possibly debris.

Without being there it is all speculation anyway.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Glad you escaped that one with nothing terribly serious. I've gone down twice, but at crawling speeds, nothing hurt but pride.

Only time I have ever known that to happen for no reason is grooved pavement from the road crews scraping up a street before repaving. But I'm still a new rider. Even at slower speeds it'll send me in whichever directions it wants to, but you just go with it and don't fight it.

Its more predominate on my 950T than it was on my 650. (Same patch of road, they've been working on it for over a year I swear).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts