Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about a 2nd bike for a long time. I went on PCP Motorsports website and found a 2007 Star Classic $4290.00 3976 miles candy red 650cc Shaft drive which I really like after a belt failure. I will post pics after I pick up my bike this weekend

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Sounds like a very good 2nd bike so you don't have to rent a cage should something else happen again. Congrat's !! Looking forward to the pics. Also curious your opinion of the power difference between your 1850 and the 650.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've been thinking about a 2nd bike for a long time. I went on PCP Motorsports website and found a 2007 Star Classic $4290.00 3976 miles candy red 650cc Shaft drive which I really like after a belt failure. I will post pics after I pick up my bike this weekend
Great bike !

I still take my 650 out over the others. They are so much fun; can't wait to see pics and hear YamahaPat'a stories that will follow. Congrats !!

·
Super Moderator
4,608 Posts
That sounds like a great mix of bikes. One for local runs and one for the open road. Definitely keep us informed on your riding impressions.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sounds like a very good 2nd bike so you don't have to rent a cage should something else happen again. Congrat's !! Looking forward to the pics. Also curious your opinion of the power difference between your 1850 and the 650.
I can chime in there. I've got an '01 650 Classic and a '14 Strat. The difference in power is Huge. (So is the weight!) The 650 is basically my commuter/run an errand bike and the Strat is my weekend/trip ride. I would guess that, through the first 2 or 3 gears, if the 650 was full throttle, you'd have to keep the Strat under 1/2 throttle to not pass it. Also, I can cruise through town on the 650 at 35 MPH in 5th gear and just twist the throttle when I cross into a higher speed limit zone; easily. The Strat doesn't seem to like 5th for anything under 40 - and doesn't even like to accelerate in 5th until you hit 45. Not that I'm knocking the 650! It will still get up on the highway and run like a trooper - I know I've been up into the 70/75 MPH range, just to keep up with the flow. Would I take it much higher than that? Probably not. The Strat I've had up north of 80 (but I was on an uncomfortably short on-ramp and over-shot my target speed); don't think I've ever hit 90 but, at those speeds, I'm not really looking at the speedo until I've rolled off throttle.

Yeah, they're both Yamaha V-Stars but, beyond that, with an almost 3x difference in displacement; there's not much comparison.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
That’s a pretty bike. Like someone said, I’d bet it makes a great little commuter or errand bike and probably gets great gas mileage. Sounds like your getting a good deal on it too. Congrats!

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
$4300 is on the high side for a 12 year old bike, esp if its a naked 650 like that rendered image

one of the problems with really low mileage older bikes, they tend to have the original tires and little to zero maintenance done to them, so everytime you work on it, you will have to replace the orings you dinker with, the front shocks might need new seals, shafts might ooze a bit, the cables will need to be lubed, the front brakes flushed... all those things you would normally do over the last 12 years if the bike was being rode on a regular basis. Also have to consider if it has been parked dry for several years, if the tank is rusted, carb gaskets and orings dried out.

If the bike has been completely gone over, and it has two new quality tires on it, then $4300 is a reasonable price.

You should be able to find a well maintained 650 in good condition with good tires, for about $3k.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
thats more like it! Its loaded up like a 650 Silverado.

If you are going to ride it locally, take the windshield off, at least for a while, and see if you like it better that way.

You would not get it for $3400 but I would have taken that blue Freaking Japanese Rocket 1300 in the background for a test ride.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's in pristine condition. I like that the dash is not digital and the dealership has been through it. This is the third bike I have bought from them and they know that I bought 7 bikes from my last dealer. I always get a good deal but I work at it

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
the one difference you will find on the 650, it has a lower cylinder compression, and you can lug it around and it will not knock on you, unless you try to climb a steep hill in 5th gear at 30mph.

I love that about the 650. I can putter thru town in 5th gear at 30mph, take corners in 3rd gear, as long as Im not trying to accelerate as fast as possible. Its very satisfying to ride thru a village at 30mph just puttering along, and then when the speed limit changes to 55, crank the throttle and let it wind out all...the...way... to...70 in the same gear.

My royal star will not tolerate that, it knocks and studders if I lug it too low, esp in the 0.75 overdrive 5th gear.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I downloaded the manuel this evening insurance is in place and I'm wondering how often I will put the wrong octane in the wrong bike.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
The next time I buy a bike, I'll go there and bring you along to work the deal! Looks good. I'm curious for your opinion of the performance difference.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Keep in mind today one of the greatest risks that causes an accident, is riding a bike you are not familiar with.

Always take your time with a bike you have not rode before, take it easy.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Spent the first 10 mi between the dealer and my place just going through neiborhoods getting used to the clutch and feel of the bike. Jumped on the fwy a couple of times plenty of power. I tend to bog it out a little not having the power of the Strat but that will be done tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
I think you will enjoy the 650 for around the town use, options are always good.

Great color, what is it called?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts