Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

New exhaust needed

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Copperace 
#1 ·
I have just bought a V-Star 950 and I am wanting to upgrade the exhaust. I would like to have more sound out of it. I have been looking at the cobra slash downs for the 950 but can't make up my mind on what I want. Does anyone have any suggestions?

#6 ·
The fuel management system was a bitch. The rear of the tank has to be unbolted so it can be tilted up/forward to route the harness or the FI2000R-02 to the injectors. You also have to unplug/loosen alot of the wiring harness going under the tank to get the tank up high enough to get to the injectors. Then it's a finger tip operation to unplug the wiring harness to the injectors and plug in the FI2000R-02. I went through all of that trouble and realized I had the harness routed wrong so, I had to redo that part. I zip tied everything away from anything that'll get hot underneath the tank before lowering it back down. Everything else wasn't too bad after that. You'll want an extra set of hands to help with the tank and to help get the old exhaust off. I did everything else on my own. It was all worth it when I started it up the first time. People turn their heads and look for me when I'm coming down the road and I've had people move over to the far side of their lane when I was passing them.

Flip.

#7 ·
The exhaust installation is straight forward and simple. The fuel management is more complicated but not to a great degree. The best way to do that installation is to remove the fuel tank from the bike, that way all the components are easily accessible. That's the way I would do it.

#8 ·
Exhaust

Don't know what you are looking for in an exhaust but, there is a bunch of options out there...look for a while before you buy. Do you want loud? Soft thunder, long, short, radical, old school. Look around at other bikes and talk to owners. Most will love to tell you the story of their exhaust, or any other part of their bike.
The exhaust install is not all that bad. Just be patient and determined to get through it. Or find a friend who does this type of thing and have them help you. Prices on exhaust can vary widely so, look around before you buy.
I once bought a set off of ebay, they were used and had a few small scratches that were only noticed if you laid on the ground to see them. Anyway, shop and ask around...$150 including shipping.
The module is out of my option list. I just rejetted the carbs and have had no problems. Good luck, safe riding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.