Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, well first of all I'll start with my name is Glenn I am 22 I am from Australia and I ride a 2010 V Star 650 custom :wink: I've owned my bike for about a year now and I love it. I also ride dirtbikes too :grin:

My problem I have when I bought my bike was only given 1 key.. thought to myself 100 times to get a spare key but being the lazy fella I am never got around to it and lost my only key :| well now I've lost my key and not having any keycodes or anything I decided to strip out my ignition barrel. Now I've been told by Yamaha that I cannot get a key cut from it because the keycodes do not show on the barrel. So the help I am asking if I take the barrel into a locksmith will they be able to make a key up from it? or am i **** out of luck and need to buy a new ignition barrel like Yamaha says? I've rang dealership they did not keep keycode on file either :( really want to get back on the bike again thanks guys!

Photos attached of my bike/s :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Welcome Glenn, from southwestern PA. That's kinda the northeastern part in the U.S. of A. Good to have ya aboard. Don't see why a smithy couldn't help ya as long as you or they have a blank. Do you have any salvage yards in your area? Maybe could get one from a wrecked bike that still has a key? Anyway, good luck in yer search.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Welcome aboard. You may be able to find one online as well, but it may take a while to get one to you.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
if you striped the guts from the barrel your gonna need the whole assembly now. around here in ct, it's like 50-100 dollars to make a key from scratch to fit an intact barrel. you can get an ignition, tank cap & helmet lock on ebay for less than the cost of making a key.

·
Administrator
13,274 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I decided to go by my own instincts and just took the barrel to a locksmith and he made one up from scratch for $6 ;) and wouldnt believe it works!! So happy :) so gonna go back and duplicate 5 keys now hahaha

Anyone that listens to yamaha and having to buy a new ignition barrel dont they are just trying to score money off you!! Basic tool knowledge and a good locksmith the rest is all gravy!

Atleast ive now found a forum for all my questions and answers thanks guys see you online on here now on :D

·
Administrator
13,274 Posts
So I decided to go by my own instincts and just took the barrel to a locksmith and he made one up from scratch for $6 ;) and wouldnt believe it works!! So happy :) so gonna go back and duplicate 5 keys now hahaha

Anyone that listens to yamaha and having to buy a new ignition barrel dont they are just trying to score money off you!! Basic tool knowledge and a good locksmith the rest is all gravy!

Atleast ive now found a forum for all my questions and answers thanks guys see you online on here now on :D

·
Super Moderator
6,393 Posts
Welcome Glenn, glad to have you aboard, and that you got your key issue resolved. A lot of great people here willing to help one another. Ride safely!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,315 Posts

what happened with the fuel cap and helmet lock are there separate keys now?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No still the same mate. From the metal thingys inside the ignition barrel the locksmith was able to make a exact replica of the original key. Being a custom and not a classic it has no master key.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts