Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Welcome to the forum Bill. You have a challenge with your bike, we can help ;). But before we do that, please tell us more about where your from in Florida, how long you've been riding and where are your favorite spot to ride. Just so we get to know you a bit better. Oh and I almost forgot; post some pics of that bad boy.

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I live in St Aug. I have been riding for only 4 months. I bought a 750 honda good bike but at 6' 4" I felt tight. I know the jump to a 1700 may not have been the smartest. But I love the look of the Big Air Cooled engine and the long frame. Im 55 and want to live a bit longer so Ill stay off the throttle. Pitures to come.
I have rebuilt a couple of cars but know nothing of bikes. My concern is that the there seems to be a bearing or gearing noise at the front of the bike. The sound seems to change in turns, so I was thinking the front wheel bearing. But the bike has only 7000 on it.
Maybe the sounds are normal, but now its all I hear, and I have Vance pipes so its not a quite machine. Thanks Bill

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Welcome Bill!

I'm sure we could all hear the noise and identify it - if only we had some pics :D

If you've rebuilt cars I think you'll find the bikes are very workable. Fewer parts, easier to get at, and faster to repair.

In the front end there isn't much that can cause a grinding noise. Start by getting the front tire off the ground (If you don't have a MC jack yet, now is a good excuse). Spin the wheel and listen. Grab it at opposite sides and see if it has any play side-to-side. Worse case scenario, you may need to pull the front axle, drop the wheel, and inspect the bearings.

I agree that at only 7,000 miles bearings should be fine, but stranger things have happened. Maybe a severe impact, pot hole, curb strike, etc.... By the previous owner.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My thoughts too

I will be getting a jack this week. I was thinking just the same thing. I will post the results. Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts