Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
Greetings, I have had my 2007 XVS1300 since 2014, I ride casually on weekends, been browsing few forums finally registered here. I’m based downunder in Melbourne, Australia.

Here’s a photo from a while back, have put on lowers and sissy bar since.
Love this bike, had upgraded from XVS650, haven’t been riding much lately.
Stay safe.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin. Nice bike that is a great color. I don't get to ride much either was 38*F when i came in the house tonight. Burrr, but my time is coming soon. Glad you found us there are a bunch of real nice guys around here. Stop by often,

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Welcome from Columbus, OH! I am also held captive by this crazy weather...It gets real nice on days that I have something to do then gets nasty on days I have free time....Me and mother nature are not on speaking terms right now!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Beautiful bike. Same color as my 2010 950. 'bout how many miles have you put on it? I have been thinking about trading for a 1300. A few extra horses would be nice.
Hi,
Have only done about 10k miles, never tried the 950, for me the upgrade from 650 to 1300 was a big jump in performance, carby vs efi, shaft vs belt, air vs water cooled.

1300 does not feel too heavy and has been easy ride for cruising, here in Australia max legal highway speed is 100kph (60mph) with heavy penalties for speeding.

I say give the 1300 a test ride one day to compare with the 950.

cheers

·
Registered
2010 Vstar 950. Candy Red.
1,054 Posts
Hi,
Have only done about 10k miles, never tried the 950, for me the upgrade from 650 to 1300 was a big jump in performance, carby vs efi, shaft vs belt, air vs water cooled.

1300 does not feel too heavy and has been easy ride for cruising, here in Australia max legal highway speed is 100kph (60mph) with heavy penalties for speeding.

I say give the 1300 a test ride one day to compare with the 950.

cheers
It was a similar transition for me from 650 to 950. EFI was sweet. The shaft to belt transition was basically unnoticeable for me. I had 3 rear flat tires on the 650. No flats on the 950 yet. Probably doesn't mean anything, but strange.

Hard to believe the 100kph limit. Makes sense in town, but y'all have so much open road. Why the limit?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was a similar transition for me from 650 to 950. EFI was sweet. The shaft to belt transition was basically unnoticeable for me. I had 3 rear flat tires on the 650. No flats on the 950 yet. Probably doesn't mean anything, but strange.

Hard to believe the 100kph limit. Makes sense in town, but y'all have so much open road. Why the limit?
Australian road speed limit is one sensitive topic, yes, we are a big country with wide open spaces but we do have lot of wildlife as well crossing over at times. Condition of the roads and driver/rider behaviour is another challenge. People don’t know how to drive to road conditions and we have big trucks sticking to the overtaking lane and not giving way on the highway. Then we have the penalties for speeding from fixed and mobile speed cameras everywhere, you can get fined for going 2kph (1.2mph) over the legal road limit, this distracts lot of drivers as they constantly are checking their speed and not looking at the road ahead. As you can see this quickly becomes an interesting topic for discussion 😃, anyways it’s not end of the world, it’s a beautiful country, good cultural mix of people, nice variety of food cuisines and great coffee as well in Melbourne, we welcome anyone and everyone to come and visit us.

enjoy your 950 and good to know the tyre flats have gone since the move.
cheers

·
Registered
2011 Yamaha VStar 650
425 Posts
Welcome from Southern Indiana! Nice looking bike you have there.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Australian road speed limit is one sensitive topic, yes, we are a big country with wide open spaces but we do have lot of wildlife as well crossing over at times. Condition of the roads and driver/rider behaviour is another challenge. People don’t know how to drive to road conditions and we have big trucks sticking to the overtaking lane and not giving way on the highway. Then we have the penalties for speeding from fixed and mobile speed cameras everywhere, you can get fined for going 2kph (1.2mph) over the legal road limit, this distracts lot of drivers as they constantly are checking their speed and not looking at the road ahead. As you can see this quickly becomes an interesting topic for discussion 😃, anyways it’s not end of the world, it’s a beautiful country, good cultural mix of people, nice variety of food cuisines and great coffee as well in Melbourne, we welcome anyone and everyone to come and visit us.

enjoy your 950 and good to know the tyre flats have gone since the move.
cheers
Hey! It's spelled TIRE. 😊
Sounds like we share a few common problems. Trucks (and other buggerers) hogging the overtaking lane (passing lane here), general bad driving, and wild life on the roads are things we suffer from here too. The speed enforcement is much easier to live with here. Out on the interstate highways we all speed. 5+ over the limit is generally considered safe everywhere in Texas. I've found that to be true in all the nearby states too. Traffic is frequently running much faster than that. Enforcement is sort of arbitrary. Getting caught is more a matter of bad luck. The good thing is that even the state troopers are generally only stopping people who are 10 or 15 over the limit or worse in normal conditions. In west Texas the highway limits are 80 mph if I remember correctly. The loop around Austin is 80mph. 75 on many of the roads. Those are from 4 to 6 lane highways.

·
Registered
2001 VStar 650 Classic
496 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Southern California. This is a great forum, there are quite a few experienced guys in this forum willing to share their mechanical Vstar experience with the rest of us.

I have an amazing 2001 650, which I enjoy riding every second. Summer is a little early to the South land, I've been riding four times a week to work. This morning when I left my house at 6AM to go to work it was 72 degrees F ( 22 C ) and the high for this afternoon is in 99 degrees F ( 37 C ) range.

·
Registered
2001 VStar 650 Classic
496 Posts
here in Australia max legal highway speed is 100kph (60mph) with heavy penalties for speeding.
Here is CA the Max speed limit is supposed to be 65mph on open road - freeways. However when I hop on the freeway and merge with traffic at the speed limit i feel I am about to get run over, cars are going way faster than that. So I am forced of open the throttle a little bit more to level with the traffic, somewhere around 75mph or 80mph, my 650 does not have a problem reaching those speeds. If a Highway Patrol officer gets on the freeway when everybody is going at 80mph he'll usually pick one car to pull over and write an speeding ticket.

Reactions: graybeard

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Here is CA the Max speed limit is supposed to be 65mph on open road - freeways. However when I hop on the freeway and merge with traffic at the speed limit i feel I am about to get run over, cars are going way faster than that. So I am forced of open the throttle a little bit more to level with the traffic, somewhere around 75mph or 80mph, my 650 does not have a problem reaching those speeds. If a Highway Patrol officer gets on the freeway when everybody is going at 80mph he'll usually pick one car to pull over and write an speeding ticket.
Same in TX regarding enforcement. Regardless of the limit or what kind of road I'm on, when I'm on the bike, I go at whatever speed I have to in order to keep people constantly passing me. Usually that means keeping up with the car in front of me unless they're flying (or going too slow to suit me). I'd rather risk the ticket than have cars constantly approaching from the rear.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts