Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't own a Vstar.....yet. I have a '97 Shadow 1100 ACE.

We are looking to trade the shadow, and I happened to stop at a Yamaha dealer yesterday and fell in love with the 950 Tourer. Came home and the boss said ok :D

What can people tell me about the 950. The one thing we don't like about the ACE is the vibrations from the engine. This bike is noted for it's vibrations, and we want to get away from that.

What are some of the likes and dislikes about the 950? I've heard that people would like a 6th gear. I had a 750 Shadow like that.....it was wound pretty tight at 70mph.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Welcome to the 4M.

I don't have the 950 but the majority of members on here seem to be split between the 950 and the 1100. So you should be getting more opinions than you can possibly need.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's exactly what I am hoping for! I would rather have too much information than not enough.

The dealer told me the power-to-the-road of the 950 T would be comparable to my 1100 ACE. If so, then it would be sufficient for my needs: Two-up on mostly 2 lane highways and back roads, with an occasional short interstate jog.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I got a 2010 950t last year.First time back on bike in 25 yrs. I love it great power handle great. The only thing didn't like was the seats after 2400 mile last year I put new Mustang seat on it this spring. I have 300 mile on new seats much better ride.

·
Administrator
13,665 Posts
howdy. feel free to vote for bike of the month and submit your own for voting

http://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7

and please take our census

http://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5655

what i can tell you about the 950 is that it is a bike that was forged by the gods themselves. it's pretty much the best invention since the telephone. vibration doesn't really start up until you hit about 70mph. for a vtwin, it's not too bad. and while a 6th gear would be nice, you get nice acceleration all the way past 80 before it starts to slow down.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I think any star line up would be a great choice.I don't ride a 950 my self but have done a lot of reading on them and everyone seem to like them. The seat issue seems to be normal for all bikes. The vibration is better on the stars but still there cause it's a v-twin thing. Honda's really seem to be the worse besides hd.Goodluck on your choice and we hope stay around a while.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts