Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening all, My name is Joel. I live in Moorhead, MN. I purchased my first "real" motorcycle today; a '12 VStar 950. I purchased it as a form of entertainment for my wife and I, and I will ride it on nice days to work. I plan on doing some louder pipes as this thing sounds like a 4 wheeler right now, along with getting rid of the blinkers and getting an integrated tail light. I also plan on removing the factory decals and the tank bumpers. I want to do something with the front blinkers as well. any idea's or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Also, just for fun, I am wondering what everyone else paid for theirs? I got mine for 6200 plus a 90 doc fee. I also picked up the Y.E.S. warranty for $510.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Your one of the lucky one's. We just about reached our 950 quota for the week; but you made it in :D. You'll be getting more ideas on modding your ride than you can shake a stick at. They're tons of great folks on here that all want to help, get your CC info and buy you some of the nicest stuff for a 950.

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Welcome to your new home :) Please wash up for dinner :confused:

·
Registered
782 Posts
Welcome to the forum.. I hope you can find the answers to all your question. There are a lot of people who have done crazy mods.
That's a great ride..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have had my bike for all of 5 days and its rained for 3 of them. I put 150 miles on yesterday and have about 220 miles on the bike total now. I have leanred a few things...
1. cover your face- Got pretty bad wind burn yesterday, but I'll be damned if I am going to put an ugly windshield on.
2. Check forecast for Wind first, rain second.
3. Wishing I would have bought a bigger bike after the first weekend with it. ugh.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Welcome to the 4m.

Why do you already wish you had a bigger bike? You are still in the break-in period. If you are following that, you should be babying it until the first service. After that is when you get a real sense of what it can do and how far you can take it. Then, once you get to modding on the performance side, it will feel like a different bike all together.

I also got the '12 950 for my first bike, not my first real bike, but my first EVER bike. I see it staying with me for at least as long as the Y.E.S. term I bought.

Have fun and ride safe!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome to the 4m.

Why do you already wish you had a bigger bike? You are still in the break-in period. If you are following that, you should be babying it until the first service. After that is when you get a real sense of what it can do and how far you can take it. Then, once you get to modding on the performance side, it will feel like a different bike all together.

I also got the '12 950 for my first bike, not my first real bike, but my first EVER bike. I see it staying with me for at least as long as the Y.E.S. term I bought.

Have fun and ride safe!

I am not a big believer in break in periods on internal combustions engines. Although I am new to bikes, I have done my fair share of engine building and modification to import cars. The motors that last the longest are the ones you set your rings on right away it seems. Im going to run 3 or 4 tanks of gas and then change the oil. Out of the box, I'm going through the RPM range fully.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Welcome Joel!

You're from the greatest named town in all of MN :D

Make sure you post up some more pics as you start the mod process.
It's not the only odd town name we have here. Don't forget Nimrod, Embarass, Ironwood, Beaver Bay, and then there is always.. Climax, MN.

I don't mind living in MN, but we have some weird people up here.

·
Super Moderator
13,206 Posts
Agreed with the break in period. Should only be in the first 20 miles or so and then you don't have to baby it at all. Just make sure you change the oil by the 600 mile Mark.

How do you plan on avoiding the wind by checking the weather forecast? With no windshield or face shield you are going to get wind with whatever speed you are going.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Agreed with the break in period. Should only be in the first 20 miles or so and then you don't have to baby it at all. Just make sure you change the oil by the 600 mile Mark.

How do you plan on avoiding the wind by checking the weather forecast? With no windshield or face shield you are going to get wind with whatever speed you are going.

I'm talking wind as in how fast the air is moving when you are standing still. Here, with no hills, crosswinds can really mess with you when riding on a highway with fields on both sides of you... I know this is foreign to people who aren't from the midwest, but we have NO hills in my area, so the wind blows across the plains undisturbed.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Welcome to the insanity Joel! :D

You don't have to live in the Midwest to experience bad cross winds. I live in the Bay Area and I am guaranteed heavy crosswinds in certain areas regardless of the weather... You just learn to live with it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
1 - 18 of 18 Posts