Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! I'm currently still driving a cage, but have decided that in the spring I will be getting a V-Star 1100 Classic. I'm 45 years old, and got my first bike in 1985. It was an 84 Honda 750 Nighthawk S. What a bike! From there, things went downhill. I sold the bike to pay my community college tuition and ended up picking up a 84 500 Shadow. I sold that bike a few years later and bought a 78 Honda 500 later on. For years I went without a bike until I grabbed a little 81 Yamaha 250 Exciter. I felt real bad for that bike. I weighed in at 250 lbs at the time, and that little bike had to haul me all around the city. You could almost hear it crying. I eventually sold that bike, realizing that I would need something bigger.

I've been looking at the local classifieds, reading reviews, looking at forums, and looking at a lot of bikes. I spoke to some of the local guys about their experiences, and have decided that the V-Star 1100 Classic is the only bike that really calls to me right now. There's just something not quite right for me about the Shadows (although if I wasn't going to be driving it with my wife as a cruiser I'd consider a Sabre), and the Suzuki line didn't have anything that appealed. Never been a Kawi fan. Harley is overpriced - the only one I can afford is the Sportster, and I don't like the styling.

I've decided to sign up now so I can research more and participate in the forums. This has to have been the hardest year for motorcycle fever in my 27 years of riding! Waiting until the spring will kill me!

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
Clicker 666? The devil you say...:eek:

Welcome to the forum. There are several clamdiggers and lobster lovers here, and "O Canada" is well represented.:)

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the best forum in town. You wont regret your decision with a 1100. Hope to see you next summer as I plan to take my 1100 silverado down your way.

Keep the shinny side up :)
Are you planning on doing the Cape Breton Highlands drive? That's one of my planned trips once I get the bike.

I'm thinking I might end up having to get a Roadstar. Between my wife and I we usually tip the scales at near 400 lbs. That doesn't leave a lot of room for luggage on a 1100 Classic.

Thanks for the welcome guys!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Welcome aboard clicker.
My wife and I travel on our 1100 classic without many problems. A good set of saddle bags, tail bag and careful planning and you're all set. I believe the max weight for the 1100 is 440 lbs. The Roadstar isn't really much higher. Either one will accept an aftermarket spring to take up the load.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome aboard clicker.
My wife and I travel on our 1100 classic without many problems. A good set of saddle bags, tail bag and careful planning and you're all set. I believe the max weight for the 1100 is 440 lbs. The Roadstar isn't really much higher. Either one will accept an aftermarket spring to take up the load.
Good to know, thanks! The price premium on the used Roadstars and Liners is a lot higher than the V-Stars. I don't want to go too nuts on the initial outlay, although the credit card will probably get a workout on the mods - but over time lol.

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
Hey clicker we'll have to talk over the winter to see if we couldn't meet up on the trail. I went to the site you posted and let me tell ya I'm sold. Now the boss needs to let me have vacation time ...
Be careful going over there! Word has it that the last time Stratowart did a maritime tour he came home with a case of crabs!:eek:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I saw Strat in a bar over there; didn't know he's a musician. He was an organ player in a band but he got real mad during the gig because he got crabs on the organ :)

Yes those crabs are giving Stratowart big problems, he said to me, "Hey Aussie, I think I've got crabs but I'm not sure" I said, "Well are you walking sideways"? He said "No", I said, "Well I reckon you've got a dose of Lobsters then"

DISCLAIMER: THE WRITER ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE LAMENESS OF THIS JOKE

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Welcome from where ever i may be

Can i join in on the fun?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys! We'll see how everything plays out, I don't even have the bike yet! I will be getting one though, we'll just see who's selling them when the spring comes. I hate to wait, but I really don't want to register/insure it for a month or so of use.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Thanks guys! We'll see how everything plays out, I don't even have the bike yet! I will be getting one though, we'll just see who's selling them when the spring comes. I hate to wait, but I really don't want to register/insure it for a month or so of use.
Now is the the time to get a deal on left-overs though. I used to work in Insurance but, I don't recall how it works up in Canada. I know here I just break my coverage down to comprehensive only over the winter.

Oh and what it is about Honda twins is that they sound like doo-doo. :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Now is the the time to get a deal on left-overs though. I used to work in Insurance but, I don't recall how it works up in Canada. I know here I just break my coverage down to comprehensive only over the winter.

Oh and what it is about Honda twins is that they sound like doo-doo. :D
I'll be buying something around 2000-2004 anyhow, and going to dip into my RRSP a bit to buy it. :) I'll be paying my oldest son's tuition (divorced) this coming year, so I'll apply those credits to the RRSP hit.

Method to my madness. The pain of waiting sucks, but it's got to be done. This has been the worst season of bike fever for me in years, especially with the abnormally warm beginning of fall we're having.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts