Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,414 Posts
Hi New girl! Welcome to the forum. Tell us a bit more about what's going on with your 1300 and do you have any pics of it? We love pics and we'll be glad to help anyway we can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will post pic of my baby girl, always willing to show her off. Been having issues with front end shimmy (which I've found isn't that uncommon). Hoping to surf the forum and get some possible ideas. Thanks for the welcome Keith....J.

·
Super Moderator
6,414 Posts
You're quite welcome, be sure to ask your questions in the Vstar section. I ride the 950, the 1300s little brother. I've not experienced any shimmying with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've not read about issues on the 950s....seems like the shimmy is a problem with the 1100 and 1300. I had an 1100 prior to my current ride, had no problems. I dread taking it to a shop, have some guys take a cursory look, then tell me there's nothing wrong, I'm blowing it out of proportion.

Being a female rider sucks when it come to repair shops.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,481 Posts
Welcome from Houston, Texas. What speed is you front end shimmer? Does it do is while holding constant speed, during acceleration or deceleration? Do you feel it in the handlebars or seat? Last time tires were changed? Last time brakes were changed? Have you added windshield or lowers?
New trunk or saddle bags? Have you recently changed rear shock preload? Last time belt was adjusted? Post as many details as you can to help diagnosis. Ride often and safe.

·
2,513 Posts
Welcome vstarjewel. We have a great bunch of knowledgeable and helpful members here. Post any questions you may have and I'm sure someone will be able to help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shimmy at 35 to 40 mph, regardless of road condition (want to learn how to defensively ride a motorcycle? Come to Michigan and try our roads).

Shimmy definitely in the handlebars. As I read elsewhere, and don't give me any s*** about this, if I take my hands off the handlebars for a moment it's clear that the front tire is shimmying.

Yes I keep my hands on the handlebars unless I'm trying to test for a shimmy in my front tire

New front and back brakes done about 2 months ago. New front tire end of last season, balanced,bead looked good no problems with mounting it.

No structural changes or additions. Same handlebars, windshield, bags, nothing new

BUT ...I will say that your comment in regards to the shocks intrigues me. one of the reasons I had the front brakes replaced is because I felt they weren't giving me enough stopping power. Now that they've been changed, it seems when I apply the front brake my front end goes forward and down quite a bit. Seriously wondering if the problem is in the front fork where the shock is.

And please bear with me, hope I'm using the correct terms for the parts .... not a mechanic 😂

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome vstarjewel. We have a great bunch of knowledgeable and helpful members here. Post any questions you may have and I'm sure someone will be able to help.
Thanks for the welcome North! Am hoping to find some interesting stuff here. Love my bike, always intrigued on how she works. :smile:

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Hope you find a solution. Read your other post, further regarding issue with your front end. Keep us posted. Curious to know what is causing it.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
447 Posts
Does sound a lot like my 950 was doing, the tire I had was bad, but I couldn't see anything wrong with it, except from dryrot around the side, nothing in the face of the tire. Replaced it, cause well, dryrot isn't good. Totally fixed up all the shimmy I had on my front end. But as I understand it, much anything on the front end can cause the problem, and make it hard to diagnose.

Well, either the tire fixed it, or just cause I took it all apart, adjusted, aligned, and re-tightened it all.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Welcome to the forum, New Girl! Hope you enjoy it!

Shimmy is usually caused by something unbalanced/loose or a combination of 2.

1. Tire. Unbalanced tire, flat spots, low pressure.
2. Fork. Leaking fork can cause it, especially when one side leaks worse than the other causing oil level variation
3. Steering head bearings. Loose or damaged bearings are very bad in this matter. It is very dangerous also.
4. Sometimes shimmy can be caused by rider's grip ("stiff" hands), but seems that's not your case.
5. I assume bike's frame is ok (not restored/bent), but in some cases that may be a reason

So I guess in order to troubleshoot your issue each item needs to be inspected and taken off the list if it checks good.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Its fairly easy to check the balance of the front tire. If you jack the bike up so the front wheel is just off the ground, take a piece of chalk and play "wheel of fortune" for a bit: Give the wheel a little push so it goes around more than once. When it stops mark the bottom of the tire with the chalk - then give it another spin... If the brake caliper is dragging a bit on the rotor, take off the two caliper bolts and remove the caliper out of the way.

If the wheel stops at random positions, and it slows down and just stops, then its balanced. If the wheel always stops with the chalk mark at the bottom, and especially if it stops, goes backwards, goes forwards... and then stops with the chalk mark at the bottom its REALLY out of balance. You can fix this yourself with stick on lead weights and get it really close to a neutral spin.

While you have the wheel up in the air you can grab it top and bottom and see if you can feel any play in the wheel bearings - side to side. You can also grab the forks from the front and see if there is any play in the steering bearings, or any slop in the forks. If you do this make sure the bike is solid on whatever is holding it up, so you dont push it over!

The shocks in the forks are usually ok unless they are leaking - and you can see the oil running down the side of the fork if its leaking.

The way you described the bike nose diving when you use the front brakes is normal if you suddenly brake hard with the front wheel. That is because the weight of the bike shift to the front wheel when you apply the brakes. You can slam on the rear brake as quickly as you want to stop suddenly, but you need to apply the front brake gradually (1 to 2 seconds) to allow the weight to load up the front forks, and then you can brake the front harder. If you hit the front brake very hard before the weight has shifted the front tire can skid (because there is less weight on it) and you will drop the bike. By braking the front gradually once the weight has shifted you can brake the front tire much harder, and it will be less inclined to skid and take you down.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with taking your hands off the grips: Motorcycles are self balancing - it will not fall over under any circumstances at speed, as long as the wheels are not locked up. The only thing you should need to do with your hands is steer the bike - motorcycles are not self steering - so if you take your hands off the grips the bike may not go where you want it to go... but it will keep going.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts