Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered a pair of new Kuryakyn ISO Grips. Any tips from anyone for my first attempt at this. It seems pretty basic but I always tend to run into issues when it comes to DIY stuff. Thought I'd reach out to the experts for their knowledge before I dive into it.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Just added them to my VS650 last month. Throttle side is easy...took less than 15 minutes. Clutch side is a bit of a bear as it is glued on. Some cut the grip and peel it off. I worked a shishkabob skewer under the grip, sprayed in wd40 and it came off in one piece. Others have used compressed air under the grip. Just be careful of the new glue as it sets in less than 10 seconds. I dry fitted the new grip and it was tight and difficult to move. Another member recommended this glue instead as it has a longer working time. I went this route after reading a complaint on line that someone only got the grip half on before it set and he had to cut it off! I also added the throttle boss to stop hand cramps and love the grips.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just added them to my VS650 last month. Throttle side is easy...took less than 15 minutes. Clutch side is a bit of a bear as it is glued on. Some cut the grip and peel it off. I worked a shishkabob skewer under the grip, sprayed in wd40 and it came off in one piece. Others have used compressed air under the grip. Just be careful of the new glue as it sets in less than 10 seconds. I dry fitted the new grip and it was tight and difficult to move. Another member recommended this glue instead as it has a longer working time. I went this route after reading a complaint on line that someone only got the grip half on before it set and he had to cut it off! I also added the throttle boss to stop hand cramps and love the grips.

Thanks for the input. Looking fwd to getting them in the mail!!

Reactions: Keith Post

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
933 Posts
I'm planning on the same grips, so I haven't done the install yet. But from what I've read, make sure your throttle side is pushing and pulling freely before you button it back up. And if it isn't, figure out how to loosen it up. I found more than one reference saying it was a sticky throttle at first.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,592 Posts
No need to get nervous, just be aware that at times the new throttle tube might have some casting that needs to be cleaned up. Just check that the throttle returns before you jump on bike for a ride.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
933 Posts
Right, not something to steer you away, just something to perhaps save you rework. Excellent example Les gave above.

Someone asked if these were larger diameter. I assume they are, but more importantly to me, they are not cylindrical.

As I rode in the heat recently, and my palms sweat, it gets hard to hold that throttle. As I was riding, and thinking, I thought to myself that someone should make oval grips. Those Kuryakyn are somewhat oval, but not as much as I was envisioning. Someone also makes grips that are larger toward the center and taper to a smaller diameter out at each end, but that is not what I was looking for. Did not find what I was looking for, but these, along with their throttle boss, I think will be much better than stock. And they look danged cool too.

·
Registered
504 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have the cramp buster plastic palm rest on my stock grips and it does make a big difference. Unfortunately I have some arthritis in my right hand from where it was broken 2 years ago and so keeping it squeezed on the throttle causes some pain, I think it’s cause my hand doesn’t like closing that small. Problem when you have bear paw size hands I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
933 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
will do Bill... need to do a little research on a good cable lube first. Supposedly, this just seals off the cable end so you
can force lube into the sheath. Not sure... might have seen it in a Clymers manual.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Please post how that tool works for you. I had no idea such a thing existed, but I was wondering how to lube my cables. Please be my guinea pig. :)
I have been using the same tool for a couple of years. It works great once you figure it out. I can't remember the name of the lube I use but one small bottle has lasted 3 bikes.

·
Registered
373 Posts
How does the throttle boss adjust? Does it freely move one way but not the other? That’s how the Palm Buster works, pain when you got to wrap it all the way around to get less throttle.

·
Registered
504 Posts
How does the throttle boss adjust? Does it freely move one way but not the other? That’s how the Palm Buster works, pain when you got to wrap it all the way around to get less throttle.

my throttle boss mounts with four small allen screws thru radial slots to the end of the grip. The slots allow you to adjust the boss to a comfortable riding position then lock it in place with the screws. The slots are covered by a chrome end cap.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts