Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
933 Posts
my throttle boss mounts with four small allen screws thru radial slots to the end of the grip. The slots allow you to adjust the boss to a comfortable riding position then lock it in place with the screws. The slots are covered by a chrome end cap.
Right, so as I understand it, the throttle boss is really just a palm rest. Does not rotate once you've installed it, but you rest your palm on it and rotate the throttle with just your fingers.

I ordered one yesterday, but haven't got the grips to go with it yet. I believe those are going to be a father's day gift, so I'm looking at a couple weeks delay :)

·
Registered
504 Posts
actually, I now use my palm to press down on the boss to control the throttle. My fingers are doing almost nothing but resting lightly on the grip or covering the brake. I find it very comfortable and no more cramps from squeezing the grip to maintain throttle.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
actually, I now use my palm to press down on the boss to control the throttle. My fingers are doing almost nothing but resting lightly on the grip or covering the brake. I find it very comfortable and no more cramps from squeezing the grip to maintain throttle. View attachment 94811
Those are nice i road my friends vmax and it had one. My bike has a throttle lock i never use.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
933 Posts
SWMBO took pity on me today, so I installed these grips. Have no fear, not a big deal. The throttle cables are little fiddly to get connected up, but simple enough. Gluing the left grip, also nothing to it. The glue is cyanoacrylate (Super Glue) which I'm sure we've all used before.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,592 Posts
Have the same ones without throttle stop. Thinking of adding a throttle stop, but I've got cruise and not sure it would benefit that much. But when I'm on the road and having to alter my speed frequently it might be handy, but I'm cheap.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Hey fellas. I ran into an issue while trying to install my new grips. I couldn't get the butt of the grip off. I used a pick and took off the
end circle that has a big Allen head. All of my T handle Allens were too small. Is that how you get the butt of the grip off is by loosening
them? This is the first grip job I have done so I'm new to it. I just figured it would slide off with the grip. This is on the throttle side. I had
everything apart ready to install the new just couldn't get the chrome but of the grip off. If that is the case does anyone know what size Allen
the 1300 takes?

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
933 Posts
It's a bar end weight. Yamaha calls it a Grip End. Same part on my 1100 as on your 1300. I kinda miss my bar end weights with the new grips. They are a functional thing, not just a pretty end cap. Can't honestly say I feel it though. More in my head than anything.

Takes an 8mm hex. I would try to find a regular short allen wrench rather than a Tee. Hopefully yours are not corroded in there too bad. The threads are very fine.

·
Administrator
3,523 Posts
One of the best tools I bought when I got my VStar was a metric Allen key socket set. Cost me $25 and I use it pretty much every time I work on my bike. So much better than the key wrenches.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks guys. I do like adding more tools to my arsenal.

Purchased a kit. should be here this week.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Got my hex drive set in since my t handles didn't go up to an 8. Purchased a tube of Grip Lock to give me that extra time to play around with the clutch grip to get it perfect. It sets up in about 30 seconds. Got it done tonight. I like the feel & the look.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I rode it to work today and I could tell a huge difference. I operate overhead cranes and forklifts for a living. So anything to make my hands more comfortable is well worth it.

It's a bar end weight. Yamaha calls it a Grip End. Same part on my 1100 as on your 1300. I kinda miss my bar end weights with the new grips. They are a functional thing, not just a pretty end cap. Can't honestly say I feel it though. More in my head than anything.

Takes an 8mm hex. I would try to find a regular short allen wrench rather than a Tee. Hopefully yours are not corroded in there too bad. The threads are very fine.

View attachment 95461

View attachment 95462
I can tell what you are talking about when it comes to the weights. I'm sure I will get used to it. Had no clue they were there before removing them. They are pretty heavy.

·
Administrator
3,523 Posts
I rode it to work today and I could tell a huge difference. I operate overhead cranes and forklifts for a living. So anything to make my hands more comfortable is well worth it.
I operate a reach stacker to load 53' containers on rail cars so I get that. Working a joystick all day can be tiring.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I operate a reach stacker to load 53' containers on rail cars so I get that. Working a joystick all day can be tiring.
I'm 37 years old. Have been doing this line of work going on 17 years. I'm already showing the signs of carpal tunnel or Arthritis. My family has a strong history of Dupuytren's disease usually by the age of 40. My right hand I can already see the tendon bulging out which is a sign of it. So I know surgeries are in my future. So I do stretches to try to keep my fingers straight as much as I can. Going to start sleeping with paddles to try and keep my fingers straight as long as possible. lol

Reactions: Boog

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
933 Posts
Kuryakyn does make bar end weights, and I'm surprised to see that they are compatible with the throttle boss. On sale right now too. But I don't think I need them, and don't really want the bars to be longer either. I like the look though.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Kuryakyn does make bar end weights, and I'm surprised to see that they are compatible with the throttle boss. On sale right now too. But I don't think I need them, and don't really want the bars to be longer either. I like the look though.

Yea I like the length of my grips now. My skin on my hand would sometimes get pinched between the stock grip and the weight.

·
Administrator
13,897 Posts
21 - 39 of 39 Posts