Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I just wanted to say hello. I just bought my first motorcycle two weeks ago on May 23rd a week after taking an MSF course. I bought an '09 Black Cherry V-Star 950 Tourer. I ended up getting a good deal on it. I bought it new for 9919.00 OTD with a three year service contract. I'm in the process of breaking it in. I dropped it off at the dealer on the 3rd for the 600 mile check up. This 1/3 throttle thing is killing me:(. Let's just say I've spent alot of time on two lane back country roads putting along at 45-50 mph. I just got back from a 169 mile round trip to the Wichita Mountains in Oklahoma for a Meers Burger with a coworker and his wife who both ride. Again we took it easy on the back county roads to get there except for having to get on the interstate a couple of time for a short distance to get to those roads. We averaged 50-65 mph depending on the headwind. I have a total of 793 miles total on the bike in just over two weeks after buying it. I hope to get to the 1k mark by the end of this week. Oh, in case anybody was wondering. I do plan on modifying it with parts inbound:p.

Flip:D.

·
Registered
178 Posts
cool

we took the bikes to church tonite and out for a pizza after.
always fun.

keep us updated on your parts, and you should take pics and post "how to's" up on here, helps some the new guys.

welcome!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Welcome to forum. Congrats on your new black cherry V Star 950 T, that's what I have. You don't have to baby your bike all that much, you can crack into it to 75, 80 mph every now and again to "stress" and "heat" up the engine for a mile or so then return it to a slower speed to cool it down, that breaks in the engine at the speeds that you'll invariably ride at sometimes. I took it easy for the first 200 miles then I went on the interstate quite often to do the heat up and cool down method, I didn't ride like I stole it but on the other hand after the first 200 miles I rode it pretty much faster than what the owners manual states, it's too much of a conservative approach. Yamaha is suggesting that as a CYA type thing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks everyone!

I'll have all of the miles on it by thursday. I plan on leaving at the crack of dawn and maybe stretch it out a little farther. The bike seems to make good power from what I've tapped into thus far. My Cobra Slashdowns are inbound and should be here by the end of this week. I already have my Cobra FI2000R-02 at the house. I also ordered a Thunder mfg Tornado air cleaner for it but, that's three weeks back ordered. Over all, I'm crazy about this bike and riding in general. I can't believe I waited this long to get into riding. I'll try to post pics in a few days.

Flip.

·
Administrator
15,486 Posts
you're going head first into the after market parts. PICS PICS PICS.

the sarge is right. you don't have to take the 1/3 throttle thing so literal. you can go normal speeds as everyone else during this breaking in period. you just don't want to go 100PM or open the throttle wide up to see what your best 0-60MPH time is. just take it easy on the acceleration and vary your speeds as much as you can no matter if you're going 40MPH or 60MPH.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have my Star saddle bag guards already mounted except for a hex bolt that secured the front saddle bag bracket to the frame. I accidentally rounded it out trying to get it off. I don't know what kind of Popeye forearmed worker they had on the clock at the factory when my bike was built, but those hex bolts were really tight. I managed to get it off with the dealer giving me a chrome replacement until a replacement bolt comes in. I work tomarrow but am off weds. I hope to mount my Star engine guard then. I just hope the bolts on the floor boards aren't going to be that tight. As far as the after market goes, I had like 7800.00 to put into getting a bike. Yamaha gave me a 5.99% APR for 5 years but I had to finance 5000.00. I wrote a check for 4919.00 and used the left over to customize it. So, why not go all out:p?

Flip.

·
Administrator
15,486 Posts
I don't know what kind of Popeye forearmed worker they had on the clock at the factory when my bike was built, but those hex bolts were really tight.
my sentiments exactly. there are a couple nuts i couldn't get off because i was doing the same thing and i'm too cheap to invest in a power drill.

I just hope the bolts on the floor boards aren't going to be that tight.
i had to take off my right floorboard to make an adjustment and it was pretty easy to take off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts