Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought my bike in Jan and proceeded to make it into a bobber. Took 2.5 months and about $1,500 to get it to where it is now. Here is a pic of the bike when I went to buy it sitting in the PO's garage. I will post an updated pic tomorrow in the daylight.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Welcome to the forum Scary! I originally bought my bike for the same reason....just couldn't make myself change this bikes original beauty. Can't wait to see the pics.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Roads

Scaryslow,

Welcome, wonder how the roads are up your way and how long the riding season is? I have sometimes thought of a ride up that way. The roads on the way would be a big question also? I think they are getting better but don't really know. Or would I be better off to take the ferry?

Dave

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Welcome aboard to the mother ship. Your in for a lot of fun and info. can't wait to see the other pic.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi Scaryslow
Welcome to the forum, like the others said looking forward to the pic's. Enjoy your time on here with us mate

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First off let me say thanks for the welcomes and corny Alaskan jokes. :D And secondly, the roads here are fine just really bumpy at times. Rear suspension is almost a must. Riding season took off this year at the end of march and will end mid-oct. There is a select few who put studs on and ride all winter! If you ride up here take the Alcan Hwy, just be prepared and careful but you will love it and it is worth the ride! Now onto the new pics!

Removed front fender, rear fender replaced w/fiberglass bobber fender from SScustomcycles.com (highly recommended for cool stuff), headlight is ebay special $60 and it was plug-and-play :cool:, drag bars from the local Yamaha shop, front tool bag was free for helping a friend work on his harley! Haha silly harley owners :D Some stuff you cant see are oil filter relocation (making oil changes a breeze) and a Maxair flamewire kit (this made the BIGGEST difference in starting and battery life, I HIGHLY recommend this kit). Also did a Cleever clutch lever, which is sweet!

I have blacked out everything I had time to do, I was kinda in a hurry to make sure it was ready to ride and didnt want it to look like crap. Seat was from ebay. Took maybe 10 mins to weld the seat mounts up and an hour or so of measuring. Springer seat plus stock suspension equals super comfy!

Here you can see the cover behind the trans was removed and I relocated the fuel pump up to where the air injection system was. Then I trimmed the plastic that was down there away with a Dremel. This is still a project but I get to ride it everyday. Current plans in the works are; exhaust, taller front wheel, remove lower fork covers, custom leather side bag to cover the left side where I took that cover off, and some more black paint (want the whole thing black). My idea for this bike is Less-is-more kinda deal. I loved the look of the bike (except the seat) and almost didnt change anything...but thats just not my way! Also, I wanted to do what I could for the least amount of money without looking cheap. That meant going for the product that cost just a little bit more and spending more time on details.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Looks awesome Scaryslow. I love to see a work in progress. That double suspension would definitely would be an ASSet up there. Kinda got me to thinking about that Maxair Flamewire kit. You gonna stick with the floorboards or go to pegs?
Keep up the great work and keep us posted with pics as work continues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys, so far I'm gonna stick with the floor boards. I like the way they look and feel plus I have so many other things I want to change first. Things that really bother me are the first to go, etc. etc.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi Mate

I'm also very intrested in the Maxair FlameWire kit, My bike has on a couple of occasions not fired up first time and sounds like the battery is dead
Then after switching the ignition off and back on it fires up as if nothing was wrong. I think may be the possition that the pistons stop in when switching the engine off but I am not sure.:eek:

If the FlameWire cables are delivering more power to the starter motor will this affect the life of your starter motor?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Before the Maxair kit my battery had to sit on the charger if I didnt start her for a few days. NOW, after the upgrade I havnt needed the charger at all on the same battery. Start ups are easier and faster than before. Like I said, this kit made a huge difference and cant say enough good things. And it only took maybe 30 mins to install. More juice to the starter will not hurt it. According to Maxair's site, it will increase the life of your starter because the starter now doesnt have to work as hard or as long as it used to.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts