Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all.
After riding a 2007 Honda VTX 1300S for the last two years, I decided that I needed more bike, so I happened into a local dealership that had a 2008 Stratoliner Midnight.....well, I just had to buy it.
It has Ultimate seats with back rests and a V&H pipe...sweet!
She has all the power I need for my wife to come along now, and bringing it home from the dealer yesterday I was mightily impressed! The VTX was a tad anemic for double up riding.
Anyway, I'll be reading all of the threads here for tips and advice.

Dave.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Good move

Dave,

The 1300 VTX is a nice bike but, bigger is always better, well almost always. You did good.

I moved up from an 1100 in 06 when the model was new. Lots more acceessories available now. The bike has plenty of power but many want a little more so they go with air changes and a fuel controler. My Stratoliner has stock exhaust which has gotten louder and a Mustang seat. Bucks lowers to cut turbulance behind the windshield. Have 42,000 miles troublefree.

I seldom run it hard but, wife and I pulled out of a restaurant the other day a bunch of bikes there, mostly Harley's. I just had to run it out in first gear. It still impresses me.

Dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FLRider...nope, you arent the FNG anymore! Hopefully I wont be for too long.

linerdave....yeah, I cant wait to get to ride everyday. The weather isnt reliable enough this time of year in the desert. I think the wife and I will take a nice weekend trip up the coast when the weather gets normal....as far as normal go's!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi I am a new guy to this site too I have a 07 Midnight I have 34,000 miles on mine. The only complaint I have is tires but I found a guy in Santee that charges $84.00 to mount & balance. I live in the Cuyamaca mts @ Guatay I work in San Diego. Good Luck Oh you are going to want to change the stock seat I have the Mustang and its great.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imakeuc.....Hi, I guess this makes yo the FNG now :).
Anyway, thinks for the input but my bike had Ultimate seats with the drivers backrest when I bought it.
So far the Ultimate is very comfortable for me, although I havent gone more than 30 miles at one time. I'm taking a ride with my son today of about 100 miles in a big loop so that should be a good test for my butt / seat combination. I planned on getting the Mustang seat for my VTX1300s, but never did. Now that my son has bought the Honda, we'll see how his rear end handles it's stock seat.
Theres another thread talking about seats and most seem to love their Mustang seats a lot....maybe he'll decide to get one after today!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I got my 06 Stratoliner S used in 07 (it was a new 06 sold in 07 and then ridden on several cross country trips putting almost 15,000 miles on it is less than 6 months). I paid $12K. It came with Passing Lamps, Mustang seats, Power Cmdr II, Long Speedstar pipes, passenger floor boards, high backrest, engine guard, saddle bag guards and rails, and luggage rack. I also got the original exhaust and original seats. I had the Power Cmdr II custom mapped last summer ==> 86.9 HP and 116lbs torgue. Also, it came with the full extended warranty -- good till October 2011. (not that I needed the warranty because I have had 0 problems in the subsequent 19,000 miles I have put on it.

My previous ride was a 2001 Yamaha Roadstar Silverado.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bowhunter...I wasnt trying to make a deal out of the FNG thing, I know we are all new sometime!

We just got back from a 100+ mile cruise, and my butt is a little sore but thats to be expected until I get used to the seat. The boy's rear end is sore, but he's ready to go another 100+ again.
We went north on Route 66 to Barstow then across the 247 to Highway 18 in Lucerne, then west back to Victorville.
BTW, the Slash X Cafe on 247 is still open and it looks like business is going fine.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Hi, all.
After riding a 2007 Honda VTX 1300S for the last two years, I decided that I needed more bike, so I happened into a local dealership that had a 2008 Stratoliner Midnight.....well, I just had to buy it.
It has Ultimate seats with back rests and a V&H pipe...sweet!
She has all the power I need for my wife to come along now, and bringing it home from the dealer yesterday I was mightily impressed! The VTX was a tad anemic for double up riding.
Anyway, I'll be reading all of the threads here for tips and advice.

Dave.
FNG here. Brought mine home yesterday, Midnight, Ult seats, after market tour box, Dave. '08, stock pipes.

Coming off a 'busa. LOVE that bike but, no good for two up for a big, old guy like me plus it buffets the hell out of me on the highway.

Tested a FLHTCU, V star 1300, Road King, Concours, k1300gs, r1200rt, Buell Uly and r1200gs.

I just new I was not a cruiser guy; sport tour. Of that group, there were only three I never wanted the ride to end; both beemer r's and the Strat. I was SHOCKED how well it handles hilly back roads central Maryland. The only thing I can complain about is the eyeball/head vibe on the highway but, it ain't as bad as the HD's.

Other than that, comfort, stability, 2 up, storage, turns damn good and that engine, man.

R1200Rt was runner up.

So, howdy folks!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Turbulance

Larrry,

I have trouble convincing some but I feel lowers are the answer for the turbulance that shakes your head around. I have Buckslowers.com. They will work with the engine guard you ask about. Don't know why, maybe they force the air to come in through the small opening between the headlight and windshield, and the windshield and the lowers, so less air gets in. But without them on both my Liner and my V Star I had this problem. The air comes in under the windshield and turns up violantly.

http://www.buckslowers.com/

Dave

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Guys, what Dave says is so true. If you have a buffeting problem you will be totally surprised at the difference I believe. They(lowers) don't look like they could do much with all that wind,(at least to me) but they made a night and day difference on my 1100. Give them a good look, I think you will be happy with the difference that lowers make. I have not heard of dissatisfied users. Ride Safe.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Larrry,

I have trouble convincing some but I feel lowers are the answer for the turbulance that shakes your head around. I have Buckslowers.com. They will work with the engine guard you ask about. Don't know why, maybe they force the air to come in through the small opening between the headlight and windshield, and the windshield and the lowers, so less air gets in. But without them on both my Liner and my V Star I had this problem. The air comes in under the windshield and turns up violantly.

http://www.buckslowers.com/

Dave
Dave, hey, no problem convincing me. Hell, all I gotta do is splay my legs out from a normal grip on the tank and it TOTALLY changes the air flow to not just my legs but, to my torso and head.

Thanks!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Waiting for my "new" blue '09 Strat to be delivered this afternoon. My first bike since my '77 Suzuki 750, way back when. I'm almost 60 now, so I am a little "concerned" about handling. I sat on many and drove a few bikes before convincing myself that the Strat made the most sense. First, I don't think I'll ever need more bike than this. The engine has more displacement than my wife's first car, for criminey sakes). Second, it felt the lightest and easiest to manuver (sp?), which is comforting.

I have read a LOT of posts about changing exhaust, ride height, seats, handlebars, etc. and it kinda "scares" me into thinking I might have made a mistake. Is the Strat "rideable" for someone like me who hasn't been on a bike for more than a few miles in over 30 years? I'm afraid to even take a passenger along until I'm sure I can handle the bike. Can somebody make me feel better about buying a bike at my age, and this bike in particular?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Waiting for my "new" blue '09 Strat to be delivered this afternoon. My first bike since my '77 Suzuki 750, way back when. I'm almost 60 now, so I am a little "concerned" about handling. I sat on many and drove a few bikes before convincing myself that the Strat made the most sense. First, I don't think I'll ever need more bike than this. The engine has more displacement than my wife's first car, for criminey sakes). Second, it felt the lightest and easiest to manuver (sp?), which is comforting.

I have read a LOT of posts about changing exhaust, ride height, seats, handlebars, etc. and it kinda "scares" me into thinking I might have made a mistake. Is the Strat "rideable" for someone like me who hasn't been on a bike for more than a few miles in over 30 years? I'm afraid to even take a passenger along until I'm sure I can handle the bike. Can somebody make me feel better about buying a bike at my age, and this bike in particular?
If all you ever road was a 750 and, as I read this, I am not sure you actually test road a Strat, so, I can't make you feel better about this bike; it is a BIG bike and way more than you are used to.

The power is not an issue. It only gives you as much as you ask for.
As long as your are deliberate and smooth with your inputs, throttle, clutch, braking, it is predictable and consistent. Not the smoothest bike I ever road, clutch and throttle but, very predictable and consistent.

Straight line riding and curves won't be an issue for you either; really good, stable, easy turning bike.

Where I think you will struggle is in parking lots and tight, slow speed turns and stopping on odd angles, gravel under foot, etc. It's heavier than you are used to and it will feel, I think, awkward and huge at low speed. Until you get used to it.

I would urge you to spend a lot of time in an open parking lot doing slow speed circles, lot's of stopping and starting, quick stops, figure 8's and whatever else you can think of to get used to the bike. If you could handle your 750 like you were at one with it, you'll get there with the Strat in relatively short time.

Everyone I've let ride mine, the only thing I tell them to watch is when coming to stops to be very deliberate with their footing.

There is no performance need to change pipes unless you want a louder bike.

If you are average height and weight, I think you will be more than fine with ride height and the bars. if you are larger, I think you will love it. You can change all that stuff later to preference if you really aren't happy. Same with the seat. I ride a lot and the Ultimate Seat I have makes me happy. It came on it but, I would expect the stock seat will be fine unless you really start racking up the miles.

Once you get used to it at slow speed in tight spaces, I predict you will love it.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
You did good

Grid user,

I will be 68 in two days. I have no trouble with the Liner. While is is 750 pounds, some heaver than your old bike. Some of the difference will be offset by the better balance and lower center of balance. I had an 1980 Honda 900 in line four and this bike is easer to ride than that bike. Liners are a very good handling bike one of the best. You did not make a mistake. No way.

Larry put it well on most. A buddy of mine goes to a business parking lot that is not used on weekends and rides those tight circles and stopping and starting. If you can find one might be a good idea.

These forums have lots of good info but, there is to much emphases on changes and problems. The average bike never comes up here.

So just get out and ride.

Dave

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
No way you made a mistake. This bike feels and handles like its 200lbs. less. You will know right away that you made a great choice.

Roadliner_Raider

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for the ideas. I am going to enroll in a 2-day bike safety course at the local CC. It's only $160 and would give me a break on my insurance. I've ridden it about 90 miles, so far. I'm following the book and keeping it @2,500 rpm most of the time (break-in). Highway driving was relaxing and fun but in-town was harrowing. I've not felt that out of control in a long time. I was going the speed limit and drivers were tailgating and shooting me dirty looks as they passed. It was like they were saying: "hey, you're a hotshot motorcycle rider, why are you doing the speed limit?!?" I'm sure it will get better, but I hope I don't get reckless because I let someone get under my skin.

I'm going to head to a parking lot in a few minutes and practice the slow-speed stuff and turns and such. That was a good idea. I'm also having trouble figuring out what gear I'm in as I slow down. I guess that will come to me in time.

While I'm here, does anyone have an ideas on how to get and send cell phone calls? My wife got kind of frantic yesterday because I was gone so long and she thought something bad had happened to me. I finally checked my messages after getting fuel and saw she had called. I looked around the forums for ideas but there were mostly people making fun of the posts where people were asking the questions. I thought one of those helmet intercoms with blue tooth might work, but I'm not sure if it's too much "stuff" hanging off you when you ride, or if it really works. I don't want to start answering and talking on a cell phone when I'm riding, but I'd at least like to see when someone calls me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.