Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying my first bike. (street anyway)
Have a V-star 1100 custom on hold, going to buy it in two weeks.
it has 95k on it and its an 02

My question is . . . how many miles do these motors usually live for?
Imagining it is properly and timely maintained and not abused of course.

·
Registered
178 Posts
i would search craigslist

bikes are almost free now, and that is a LOT of miles on the wires, cables, wheel bearings.

it may be in good shape, but do some comparison shopping, because you will be an OWNER once it is yours.

have you taken the MSF and all that?

got a buddy who can go with you who rides?

pray about everything.

ride safe

·
Registered
57 Posts
Looking at buying my first bike. (street anyway)
Have a V-star 1100 custom on hold, going to buy it in two weeks.
it has 95k on it and its an 02

My question is . . . how many miles do these motors usually live for?
Imagining it is properly and timely maintained and not abused of course.
HI,

Is that a misprint? 95K or 95,000 miles?

I wouldn't even touch that one, unless the owner can show documentation that the engine has been completely rebuilt or replaced.

There is a whole list of possible problems that could arise by not even reaching half of that mileage number.

All bearings Cams and valves, Clutch, springs, pistons rings etc; etc; and I am only scratching the surface here.

IMHO, stay away from that bike period! unless you want to spend a whole lot of money for a complete rebuild.
By the time your done, you probably could have bought a much newer bike.

Dennis

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh thats not what I wanted to hear

Supposedly the previous owner has tons of documentation showing great maintainence.

I haven't seen it yet, going to look at it this weekend.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have done nothing but searching for the last few weeks. everywhere. . .

This one is from a dealership and I talked him down $1000 to a miniscule $2900

still worth it????

Again how many miles might the motor take?

·
Registered
57 Posts

still worth it????

IMHO, No! stay away!

The life of the motor depends on too many factors, how hard was it driven before you, did they tow a passenger, are they mostly highway miles, did they use the correct oil, has the clutch been replaced, did they go heavy on the throttle, have the valves been re-lapped, and so on and so on. If it has cam chains and tensioners, when were they replaced? ask them to show you the service schedule in the manual, and you will see exactly what I am talking about.

Do you get my drift?

There are really too many miles on that bike, thats one of the reasons the dealer has dropped $1k.

Keep in mind that most cars depending on the make and model usually need quite a bit of work by the time they get too 100K.

Keep looking, like I said before, check for documentation that shows that they have complied with the manufacturers service schedule, and keep in mind that it still does not mean that the engine and drive train parts have been replaced. most parts could be just at the limit of its service life by now.

Let me ask you this, would you buy a car with 100k on it and expect not to have to do any repairs on it soon?

Don't let impatience drain your wallet.
Play it safe, it's your hard earned money at stake here.

Just my two cents here, and I have been riding bikes for many years.

Dennis

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for your advice guys, I am totally rethinking it now. . . . and yes impatience is my enemy here, I have wanted one for many many years and the wifey, bless her heart, has finally allowed it.

I will not buy this bike now and thanks for your advice!!!!

You all may have just saved me some headaches!

·
Registered
19 Posts
DO NOT BUY!!!! YOU ARE ABOUT TO GET ROBBED!!! :eek: 95k miles on a bike!!! :eek: Out of curiosity how old are you buddy? My guess is this guy is scamming you because you are young!

·
Registered
178 Posts
lol I am old. . . . 37
you spelled it wrong ...you are...ANCIENT.. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

$2900 is not a lot of cash, and if that is all you have spend,

i would offer $2000, and hold a few bucks back for maintenance, just in case.

i am telling you, that dealer gave NOTHING for that bike on trade, and no one else is looking to buy it
so you can beat him down on price

but, if that is all you can afford, you might buy it and get a few years service out of it.

if you can wrench some, you might be ok

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can wrench pretty well ha ha, I did my yamaha 100mx rebuilds at least 4 times in the backyard long before I was old enoughto know what a playboy was. . . . I could clean a mikuni before I could spell it!
I am willing to go $3500 if I have to . . . I think I will hold out and get what I think to be a good bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I myself live on the 650 V-star ebay page. I still don't have my bike but I am working on it! It is impossible to get a loan these days and thanks to being laid off 7 times in 3 years my credit is shot! The bad part is the fact that now I have a stable job and I am climbing out of the hole, I have direct deposit and I am willing to set up automatic bill pay, yet no bank will touch me. :mad: GOD IT SUCKS!!! :mad: Oh well, I will just keep pecking away at it and eventually I will have my bike.:cool:

·
Administrator
15,486 Posts
how would you feel about a car that had 95K miles on it? not too many people crazy about that, so just think that a bike with 95K miles is probably similar to a car with 250,000 miles. does that sound like an attractive vehicle? he can have an encyclopedia of documentation for you, but unless you just happened to find that cash under a seat cushion, find something else.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a 2003 V-Star 1100 with 27,000 miles on it for only $3300. It runs great!!

I wouldn't pay $2900 for one with 95K miles on it. $1000 maybe. But for $3000 you can get a bike with fewer miles on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts

still worth it????

I am new at this also, heck I don't even know how to ride, never ridden in my life and I just picked up a brand spanking new 07 left over with 0 miles $7,200 (about $8K after tittle, tax, registration and inspection) NO down payment and I'm only paying $154 a month for the next 66 months, so I would put those $2K as a down payment, do you know what to do if your ridding solo and this old bike breaks down? don't get me wrong the new ones can break down as well but it is not likely, I was going to buy a beater for $500 thank god i didn't the day they where bringing it over it had tranny issues, i would have been in a big hole.
my $0.02

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was looking at an used bike and after looking at the maintenance due soon and tires, new seat etc... i purchased new and making monthly payments. I am safe from major expenses for a few years anyway. The bike you are looking for is way too expensive. This should not be more than 1200 if it has 95K or in miles 57,000 miles. try to get something below 40K. My two cents

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ha ha I bought a better one two weeks ago.

had 11k on it I gave $3500
It is immaculate, runs perfect and has lots of upgrades, I am thoroughly pleased with it.
It also came with sissy bar and 30-second windshield.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts