Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I am just returning to motorcycles after a very extended time (30 yrs). I am planning on getting a new bike next spring or whenever the snow leaves here in New England. My last bike was a old Yamaha 750 and I had a Bonny before that. My interest is mostly in solo touring. All pavement. Most of my trips will be weekend with a few week long ones hear and there. I will also use the bike for commuting during the summer. I have been doing a lot of research I have looked at Gold wings and found them really expensive and huge, just not my style either. The Electra Glide is on the list as is the Victory Cross Country. Both bikes are very nice but the size and cost are pretty large. Someone suggested i look at the V Stars. I am interested in ease of ride and comfort for medium long days. Also reliability and maintenance. Consumer reports gave the Yamaha's the highest owner satisfaction. I assume it would be pretty easy to through a rack on the back for a piece of kit to make it a long trip tourer. Not trying to start any flame wars just an excited guy about to retire and looking for value and fun.

Thanks for everyone's time
Lonnie

·
Super Moderator
5,998 Posts
Hi Lonnie, welcome to the forum and glad to hear you're returning to riding. We have a great forum here with a lot of helpful members. I'd suggest going to a local Yamaha dealership and sitting on a few bikes and see how they feel. Depending on your size, a 950 or 1300 should fill the bill for you. Good luck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I too, returned to riding after 30+ years. When I retired I started with a Yamaha 250, then graduated to a 650, then on to a 950 and have now settled into a 1300 Tourer. All were good bikes and being a solo rider at 5'6" and 166 lbs, I think I have finally reached the ultimate for me. My wife doesn't ride but, thinks I have found the right one too. :wink:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Welcome from southwestern PA. I too returned to riding after a long spell. Probly bout 25 years or so. My last ride was a 750 Honda. Took a bit to get used to my 1100 at first, but now feels natural as could be. Couldn't be happier with it. Good luck in making your decision and keep us updated with what you decide.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Lots of returning people here. I also took a 25 year vacation. It was actually pretty easy to get back on and start riding.
Good luck finding something that fits your needs. Personally, I like buying in the winter when prices are lower.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Returned from extended period as well. Buddy of mine rides a Triumph America and it works for him. My VSTAR 1330 Touring , in my opinion, fits the range of easy short town riding or has plenty of power for highway trips and does very well with riding two up.
You can purchase the 1300 Touring Deluxe to get a few more options.
Very reliable and Elk is correct-now is the time to buy ( new or used).
I love the Stratoliner look but she is a big one.
Good luck on your purchase and ride safe.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I returned to riding after 25 years. My last bike was a Vulcan 750. I looked long and hard before I purchased my 950T, and love it. I ride 95% solo, the 950T is a very good solo bike, but is a decent 2up bike for the times my wife rides with me. IMHO the VSTARS are a great line, with the 950T being hands down the best "bang for you buck" bike out there. I can ride all day long with any of my friends that have Harleys and a few Goldwings in the group.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts