Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day. Have had my V Star for several years now and am running into what I think are some fuel issues. It's a 2002 650 and, as far as I know, the fuel filter has never been replaced nor the carbs cleaned. I was thinking of running fuel system cleaner through as a start. When I give more throttle than needed, it starts cutting out.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
You can certainly change the fuel filter (its right under the left side of the fuel tank) for a few dollars, get a bottle of Seafoam from Walmart (about $9) and put 5 ounces in a full tank of gas, and while you are at it, look at your air filter. If its not white like paper get a new one (an OEM air filter is about $25).

if you want to save some money, get all your stuff from an online suppler, like BikeBandit or Revzilla. While you are there get 4 or 6 spark plugs (they are about $2 each) and replace your plugs.

If you do all that, and run the full take of gas with seafoam through the carbs, and you are still having issues, then you might need to consider taking the carbs off to clean them.

In general you should never need to clean the carbs on a motorcycle, if the bike is properly prepared for storage, but there is a certain point where it will not run well enough for a fuel treatment to do any good.

Once the jets or PMS are clogged, nothing is going to flow thru them to clean them out.

One other thing to check - make sure fuel is not running down the right side of the bike when the engine is running - the float overflow tube comes out right between the cylinders on the top of the engine case. If your floats are sticking then gas will overflow. You might be able to fix that with Seafoam in the fuel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. Just ordered the fuel filter. Hard to come by parts here in Labrador. I was checking into the Kleen Flo TKO 2000 Fuel System Cleaner. It's $26 a bottle here, but it would last quite a few fill ups. I fuel cleaner like this a bad idea to run through the system? We have no Walmart here nor Seafoam.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
I havent used Kleen Flo, but Im sure its fine. Follow the directions - some people dump the whole bottle in the tank thinking more is better - dont do that!

I buy a pint of Seafoam in the fall to stabilize the fuel over the winter, which only takes 5 ounces in 5 gallons. I use the rest in any vehicle that does not seems to be running right, or for no reason at all just to use up the bottle by the end of the year.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually found SeaFoam here at Napa. Only cost $12. Looks like it’ll take a quarter of a can to treat the tank full. There are good reviews on the stuff.

·
2,468 Posts
Welcome from NB, csonni. Glad you joined us. KCW knows 650s so you can take his advice to heart. Post a pic when you get a chance. We love pics here!

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,337 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,364 Posts
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee. Any pics you’d like to share with us? Keep us updated on your progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts