Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm actually on my way to look at a 2007 1300 Tourer in a few hours. I was lurking here looking for known issues and things to look at when buying this bike. Assuming we can come to a price I should be the proud new owner of a nice used V Star by the end of the day. The current owner has addressed the low end surge and replaced the seat and put on RSTD bars. I'm thinking of punching the tank, other than that, I'm open to suggestions to mods and fixes. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,091 Posts
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee Sid. The 1300 is a great ride and I own it's little brother, the 950. A lot of us, not all, do the typical mods of aftermarket exhaust, and free flowing air intakes. Vstar's come pretty lean from the factory. Let us know if you purchase it and share some pics with us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Welcome, Sid. The 1300 is a beautiful bike. Good luck with your negotiations and let us know how you made out.

·
"Loose Nut"
4,650 Posts
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Post some pictures first chance you get. Ride often and safe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, made a deal. We finalize the paperwork on Thursday. I'll get some pictures up then. I was too happy with the deal to think of taking some today.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi, I'm actually on my way to look at a 2007 1300 Tourer in a few hours. I was lurking here looking for known issues and things to look at when buying this bike. Assuming we can come to a price I should be the proud new owner of a nice used V Star by the end of the day. The current owner has addressed the low end surge and replaced the seat and put on RSTD bars. I'm thinking of punching the tank, other than that, I'm open to suggestions to mods and fixes. Thanks
welcome! i'm also in the buckeye state. what do you mean by "punching the tank"?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I'll have to find the post again, but there's a mod where you punch three holes in the filler neck of the gas tank and it not only allows the tank to fill more quickly, it allows it to take a little more than half a gallon extra in gas. So it give you a little extra range before having to stop for fuel.

·
Registered
87 Posts
thanks for the link on the tank filler mod!

i have a '13 1300 Deluxe and I easily get 43mpg. my filler is in original factory condition. my low fuel light usually comes on at approx. 160 miles most of the time. using a conservative 40mpg and the listed Fuel tank capacity 4.89 US gal that is a total range of 195 miles. the owners manual also notes the Fuel Reserve amount(when the warning light comes on) is at .98 US gal or 39 miles. for me, i don't see the need to punch the tank. other than my Cobra Speedster X-tra longs exhaust i am running an all factory set-up.

a fuel warning light coming on in the 130s sounds really low to me. am i missing something? does my Cobra exhaust make that much of a difference compared to stock exhaust. i purchased my moto used and it did not have stock pipes when i got it so i don't have any exp with oem exhaust.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the link on the tank filler mod!

i have a '13 1300 Deluxe and I easily get 43mpg. my filler is in original factory condition. my low fuel light usually comes on at approx. 160 miles most of the time. using a conservative 40mpg and the listed Fuel tank capacity 4.89 US gal that is a total range of 195 miles. the owners manual also notes the Fuel Reserve amount(when the warning light comes on) is at .98 US gal or 39 miles. for me, i don't see the need to punch the tank. other than my Cobra Speedster X-tra longs exhaust i am running an all factory set-up.

a fuel warning light coming on in the 130s sounds really low to me. am i missing something? does my Cobra exhaust make that much of a difference compared to stock exhaust. i purchased my moto used and it did not have stock pipes when i got it so i don't have any exp with oem exhaust.
I probably wouldn't do the tank mood except I'm playing on hitting the desert next summer and fuel could be an issue. The whole reason I started looking at bigger cruiser-tour bikes is that I've decided that before I'm too old I want to see Yellowstone on a bike and I might as well make it into a lap of the country while I'm at it. I'm going to take possibly two months and do a few hundred mile days so that there's time for sight seeing. I think the stock range is probably more than enough between breaks, but once in the desert idk how far it'll be between gas stations.

These are the first pics of the bike. Actually I lifted them from the ad. I need to take some myself...well, I know myself well enough to know that I'll, no doubt, end up taking way more than anyone needs myself.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts