Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new to the forum in southern ohio... had my heart set on getting a bike for some time now... I think im going to pick up a v-star... It will be my first bike in a few years.. had a honda hurricane in highschool but nothing special...

what would you guys consider a good deal on a used v-star? I dont need anything spectacular... its going to be my first bike in some time... would like an 1100 but would settle for a 650 if it was a good deal for the first couple years... jsut need it to have enough power to lug my big self aorund... know what i mean

·
Registered
281 Posts
Welcome. Each market is different. Here V Star prices run anywhere from around $3K on-up. I don't see much price differences between the 650 and 1100 in my area. But then again, bikes are really big in my state especially in the central and west coast regions. Make sure whichever bike you decide on; to review the maintenance records. Unfortunately a good number of bikes in the pre-owned market will probably not have much in detailed maintenance records but use the same common sense you've relied on when buying a used vehicles in the past, as those lessons learned also crosses into motorcycle purchase. Check out things like hoses, tires, fuel lines, etc. and see if they match what the seller is representing (e.g., upkeep and maintenance, actual mileage, etc.). Another option is to get a qualified Yamaha motorcycle mechanic or someone that really knows the in/outs of these bikes and have a pre-purchase inspection done. The V Stars are well built motorcycles and if properly cared for will last a very long time. Good luck with your search.

·
Super Moderator
13,065 Posts
howdy. be sure to vote for bike of the month and submit your own for voting once you get it.

http://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7

good advice on getting a mechanic to check out your potential ride. if you're just looking for something used to ease back into riding, i think you'll be fine with a 650. be sure to consult Kelly Blue Book when looking at prices to get an idea of what you should be paying. i think most on here will tell you that they are good solid bikes and don't cause too much maintenance or problems and have plenty of power for around town.

if you're a larger guy and think you're gonna want a bigger bike down the road, then i wouldn't bother looking at 650's since you'd only be costing yourself some trouble and money by having to upgrade again in the near future.

and get any owner to give you a detailed history of the maintenance/oil changes/issues/previous accidents or lay downs on the bike when you first meet them

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi Mate
Welcome to the forum, hope you find the bike you are looking for some good advice from the previous posters but I would go bigger if at all possible, not that I have had a 650 but think you will just be getting used to it and then moving up to a bigger bike.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Welcome aboard good luck on your bike hunt you made a wise choice on a vstar.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
new to the forum in southern ohio... had my heart set on getting a bike for some time now... I think im going to pick up a v-star... It will be my first bike in a few years.. had a honda hurricane in highschool but nothing special...

what would you guys consider a good deal on a used v-star? I dont need anything spectacular... its going to be my first bike in some time... would like an 1100 but would settle for a 650 if it was a good deal for the first couple years... jsut need it to have enough power to lug my big self aorund... know what i mean
G'Day Pooh and welcome.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
big thanks for the welcome guys... Im going to tool around a little and see what i can learn... I am stuck between the v star and maybe honda shadow or like...

I am leaning towards the 1100 for sure... If i can find one cheap that is... Anything i should look out for in particular? Problems with certain years? that kinda thing?

dont get offended guys... but now that you have owned the bike for some time do you wish you would have had a honda or other brand? not saying either one is better.. Just pumping you guys for knowledge

I just wanna make sure i make the right call :D

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Welcome from Washington. Not sure how big your 'big self' is, i'm about 200lbs and the 1100 hauls me around just fine for general use. I don't think the 650 would have what i need to get me up and down the hills we got out here without pegging th tack. I've had mechanic (certified Yamaha) friends say they've seen these motors with close to 100k miles and still running good. We still see 198? Viragos running around, don't we?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts