Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. New member here from Edmonton. I have a 2009 VStar 1100 Custom that I picked up in need of a bit of work. Not too educated on much past basic oil changes etc so I'm definitely going to have a few stupid sounding questions. Hoping this great community can keep me pointed in the right direction so I can get this bike on the road! Thank you all in advance.
Rick.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
thats what we are here for

before you do much of anything to the bike look in the gas tank with a flash light. If the bike has sat for more than a few months the gas could be gooped up from the 10% ethanol degrading into jell.

If the gas is not clear and esp if it looks like coffee, drain the tank and cycle the fuel pump with the line off the carbs to blow that out too. Dont start it up or ride it with bad gas, you dont want goop being flushed into your carbs. If you have already been running it, and now you realize the gas is bad, that is not the end of the world either....

Nearly all of the issues with bikes that have sat for a long time are the fuel decomposing, and 2nd is the battery getting too oxidized to hold a charge and start the bike.

Let us know what you think you are dealing with. Start a thread in the Vstar section with a title that addresses what you are looking at, like "No spark vs1100" or "Bike exploded 1100!". the more descriptive you make your thread subject line, the more people will see it who know how to solve any problems you have.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks KCW. Great advice. Went through the fuel system and everything short of the carbs checked out. Tank is clean and fuel that came out didn't look bad. Will be cleaning the carbs in near future so ill address any issues with those then. My questions will be much more basic to begin with and ill work up from there.
Rick.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
Unless you have reason to think the carbs are fouled, I would run a carb cleaner thru a few tanks of gas and see how the bike runs, and how new plugs look after 500 miles.

Its normally not necessary to tear the carbs apart on a stock motorcycle, unless the fuel went bad or there was rust in the tank. Unless you have experience rebuilding carbs you have a good chance of making things worse before you spend a lot of time and money to get them back together.

Changing your fuel filter on schedule, and regular use of a fuel stabilizer like Seafoam, or a yearly dose of carb cleaner should keep the bike running 100%.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,003 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,228 Posts
Hi Rick!
Welcome to the forum, lots and lots of knowledgeable members here and great advice to boot. Share some pics with us when you get the chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
And another welcome from Antioch California! As mentioned previously, pics are great. Good luck.

·
2,345 Posts
Welcome from the Maritimes. KCW has some good advice - if your gas is clean and it runs decent, don't mess with the carbs. Love to see some pics too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Welcome from Winnipeg, Lets hope for a long, warm and dry summer. Us Canadians need it after this long winter !!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts