Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Specifically Collingwood, Ontario, on the south shore of Georgian Bay, Lake Huron.

I am a "returning" rider, typical old guy (67) getting back to something I enjoyed in my youth.
I am purchasing a red 2014 V star 950 this afternoon, just got back from the bank and from buying a helmet, jacket, windshield and oil and filter.
Sorry, no photos yet, but it's red, and I'm sure you know what they look like!

I have never owned a cruiser before, just what I would call "standard" bikes, and I find the seating position odd, so low I feel I am sitting in a kid's seat. Fine for short people I suppose, but I am on the large side, 6 feet tall and 180lbs. Anyway, I damaged my left leg in a fall a year ago so I felt I needed a lower bike to make it easier to get on and off.
I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Another reason for choosing a cruiser was the torque; I did not want to have to change down two gears and wind the motor past 8,000rpm to get on the power band. So all in all, I am confident I've made the right choice.
Can't wait to get the ownership, insurance and plate, and go for a ride!

·
2,520 Posts
Welcome from the Maritimes, Simon, and congrats on the new ride. Glad you joined us. The 950 is a real nice bike. I'm sure some of our taller members here can recommend ways to make it more comfortable for you if you find it too constricting.

I got my 1100 a couple of years ago as my way back into biking. It was also my first cruiser and did take some getting used to, but now I love it. I'm a little shorter - 5'9 and it fits me perfectly. I call it my lazy boy on two wheels. lol Looking forward to some pics when you get her all dressed up!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Some of my favorite rides are up your way.

Enjoy the V-Star. Mine has served me well and I love the low and easy seating setup.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,502 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Welcome from Lower Ontario...London.. Congrats on getting back on a bike. I'm also 6' about 190 lbs and to adjust my 1300 I simply added an engine guard and highway pegs on the engine guard to extend my legs and be more comfortable. I find I flip out to the pegs pretty quick when riding just to be more comfortable and not cramped.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm not quite 5' 6"...71 yrs old. I am also an old guy getting back into motorcycling after a long absence. My 650 Classic fits me great so far. I don't have my bike licence yet. Years ago, I had the choice of paying the extra money to keep my bike licence. I regret not keeping it now. When I was riding, foot pegs were directly below the rider but the seats were a couple of inches higher. I did have an 83 Virago 920 cc model J which I rode a bit without a licence and the bike fit me perfectly. The 650 V-Star has foot pegs a bit more forward which feels strange but the seat is only 28 inches off the ground. I paid a ridiculously low price for my 650 Classic with windshield and luggage. From what I have read, the 950 is a great bike.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your replies and the friendly welcome!

I think I would prefer to raise the suspension somehow, rather than move my feet. this would also give more cornering clearance - I don;t want to get the nickname "Sparky"!
I also am thinking about getting a narrower set of bars. the whole riding position just seems odd to me.

Perhaps just a matter of getting used to this type of bike.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Dabluz!
(Guessing you enjoy a type of music originating in the Mississippi delta- I do too!)

I almost chose a 650, great looking bike and probably plenty of power for my needs, but I wasn't sure if I might want to do more highway riding in a few years, in which case the 950 would be more stable in the wake of a large truck and more relaxing at highway speeds.

The v star 650 seems like a great value for money.

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
I owned an off road (enduro) MC for most of my life.

Yes the one thing that is really different on cruiser bikes is: you cannot stand up on the foot pegs. Riding off road you are standing up as much as you are sitting.

takes some getting use to, but I like the riding position on my Vstar.

You can raise the seat up just a bit by cranking the monoshock preload up a notch or two. You will lose some of the high end on your shock when you bounce over a bump. The shock will be closer to the top, and the ride will be more stiff. If you have not checked it yet take a look, the previous owner may have it cranked down low.

Something else, if you have never ridden with a drivers backrest give it a try, or borrow someone's bike that has one. Once I put one on my bike there is no going back.

← see the photo of my bike with my trunk in my garage page.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi Dabluz!
(Guessing you enjoy a type of music originating in the Mississippi delta- I do too!)

I almost chose a 650, great looking bike and probably plenty of power for my needs, but I wasn't sure if I might want to do more highway riding in a few years, in which case the 950 would be more stable in the wake of a large truck and more relaxing at highway speeds.

The v star 650 seems like a great value for money.
Yes....I played blues music in bars for a while. I play guitar and harmonica. Our band was quite popular. At my age, I was concerned about the weight of the bike versus seat height. My wife does not want to ride so I don't really need more power. Here in Canada, maximum speed is 110 km/h. In the province of Quebec, the highest speed limit I have seen is 100 km/h (60 mph).

·
Registered
245 Posts
Simon.. you might be surprised at the lean you get with stock suspension.. I'd adjust the rear shock and stiffen it up before you raise the suspension. Also the bars are a common complaint.. Try the RSTD bars .. common upgrade for the 950 and 1300. Not as wide and more pull back so a lot more comfortable. You'll need new grips as the stock ones won't work fyi. Great upgrade for sure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts