Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all!

I'm an old(ish) guy/new rider and as of 3 weeks ago, a happy V-Star 1100 Silverado owner. I have always wanted a motorcycle. Rode friends dirt bikes as a kid. Well, now that I have my official AARP card, I figured it's about damn time to actually get a bike. I bought a Honda VLX600 in May, took the Basic Rider Course in early June, and racked up several thousand miles in just a few months. But I quickly realized that Honda just wasn't going to cut it on the highway. The 2008 Silverado I found was very clean, low miles, unmolested, and underpriced...so I paid the man & rode it home!

Looking forward to learning more from many of you - I've been lurking for a few weeks.

Thanks!

Tom

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,309 Posts
Nice intro and nice bike Tom! Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee. I’m a kinda AARP guy as well. Lots of 1100 owners here and everyone is willing to help one another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2,387 Posts
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. I'm also an older guy who got back into riding a few years ago on an 1100. You picked a great bike and it sounds like you got a good deal. The 1100 is a good balance of power and maneuverability. You're going to have a lot of fun on it. There are many knowledgeable and helpful people here so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Love the name, by the way...lol.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
according to the "which bike do you ride" poll on this website the Vstar 1100 is the most popular model, by far

Im a former Cedar-Rapidian (late 1980s). You are going to have to leave the state to find some great motorbike roads. :^)

·
Registered
695 Posts
Welcome from Columbus, OH! Nice looking bike. As you will soon find out there are many ways on this forum to entertain yourself...subjects from technical, to travel, to sharing pictures, some spiritual encouragement, to jokes and some good natured barbs thrown in.. Enjoy!

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
^the great thing about a motorcycle is they are simple and just about anyone can work on them

the problem with buying a used motorcycle is they are simple and just about anyone can work on them,
and just about anyone does

unmolested is the only word that can be used in this context on a family friendly forum

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^the great thing about a motorcycle is they are simple and just about anyone can work on them

the problem with buying a used motorcycle is they are simple and just about anyone can work on them,
and just about anyone does

unmolested is the only word that can be used in this context on a family friendly forum
Yep - that's exactly what I meant. The only thing he added were the lower chrome wind deflectors and Battery Tender cable. My son's Honda was a wiring fire hazard when he got it last Fall.

I did order an engine guard last Tuesday (it will be here today) and promptly christened/dropped the bike on Wednesday! Amazed & very lucky there was only minor damage - a crushed turn signal and scraped mirror & lever. I tried to keep it upright, but that's just too much weight for an out of shape desk jockey like me to wrestle with.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
I did order an engine guard last Tuesday ...and promptly christened/dropped the bike on Wednesday! ....
were you sitting on the bike when it went over, or pushing it from one side... working on it?

the very first thing they taught us in the MSF beginners course (thats how I got my license) is how to get on the bike, and get back off without dropping it.

the second thing was: to move the bike sit on it and duck walk it...

because a lot of people drop their motorcycle when the engine is not running.

since you took the MSF course I would guess you dropped it making a slow turn?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yep - that's exactly what I meant. The only thing he added were the lower chrome wind deflectors and Battery Tender cable. My son's Honda was a wiring fire hazard when he got it last Fall.

I did order an engine guard last Tuesday (it will be here today) and promptly christened/dropped the bike on Wednesday! Amazed & very lucky there was only minor damage - a crushed turn signal and scraped mirror & lever. I tried to keep it upright, but that's just too much weight for an out of shape desk jockey like me to wrestle with.

Glad there was no major damage. I hope (knock on wood) I never drop the Stratoliner. Sparky is 760 pounds / 345 kilos of 'I am gonna need a crane' to get the bike back upright. There is a guy with a couple of kids who ride dirt bikes in some undeveloped areas of my neighborhood. His little girl has a tiny pink dirt bike with training wheels. I'm thinking training wheels might be a good investment - although any members of the Bandidos I might encounter here in the Houston area would fall off their bikes laughing and I don't want to be the cause of that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
since you took the MSF course I would guess you dropped it making a slow turn?

You guessed it - a slow maneuvering spill.

I was inching out of alley to a downhill street to see if a car up the hill was going to park or continue on. The alley was about a foot higher than the street. I don't think I even had the clutch out, but when I hit the bottom of the incline my wheel was slightly turned downhill. I must have grabbed the front brake for just an instant - just long enough to overcome my 240 lbs of "counterbalance" and then physics decided I needed a little schooling! It all happened so fast...and slow!

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
I dropped my Royal Star about a month after I got it. I missed a turn, pulled on the shoulder of the road, kinda pushed it back to get it pointed out into the street

there was a bit of a blind hill to my left, so I waiting till I was sure there was nothing coming (could see past it a ways) looked right, looked left, looked right, looked left, started pulling out to go left, looked right, looked left... was not looking where I wanted the motorcycle to go

it was on its side before I realized I had fallen over. The engine guard saved the bike and me from damage.

That was the day I named the bike Ursa (latin for She-bear). When I got the bike the previous owner said "there she is... she's a bear!"

He was right. Big. Strong. Fast. Heavy....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad there was no major damage. I hope (knock on wood) I never drop the Stratoliner. Sparky is 760 pounds / 345 kilos of 'I am gonna need a crane' to get the bike back upright. There is a guy with a couple of kids who ride dirt bikes in some undeveloped areas of my neighborhood. His little girl has a tiny pink dirt bike with training wheels. I'm thinking training wheels might be a good investment - although any members of the Bandidos I might encounter here in the Houston area would fall off their bikes laughing and I don't want to be the cause of that.
I had to Google the Stratoliner - that's a beast! Love the tail light on those. I bet it smoothly cruises at almost any speed!

·
Registered
254 Posts
I had to Google the Stratoliner - that's a beast! Love the tail light on those. I bet it smoothly cruises at almost any speed!
It does. Big change from my last bike which was 800 cc and needed at least one more gear (which it did not have) for good 2-up riding. The Stratoliner, and we are still getting to know each other, is very smooth at highway speeds. Amazing amount of torque.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,141 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quite a few Texans around here. My wife is from San Antonio, mostly. She was an Air Force brat and they finally settled in Texas. Our oldest is flight training in Del Rio right now. Not sure where the AF will send him next year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts