Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI To all,
I¨m a retired American living near Mexico City. I have traveled nearly all the states of Mexico for the past several years. I have info and tips for anyone wishing to trip south of the border.
My bike is a 2003 1100 Silverado. I just bought it in Fresno, Ca and drove it back home. 2945 miles by way of Nogales.
I would be happy to correspond with any rider who wants info.

Good roads,
La Madrugada

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
new member mexico

Old Mexico is fading away. The images you recall from those old westerns are just about goneto be replacedd by unpainted concrete. Yes there are problems in Mexico just like there are problems in the USA. You are as likely to be shot in Mexico as you would be in your home town, if you live in a highly urban area. I have been here for 12 years andd never have I been robbed or molested. I just rode from Nogales to exico City by way of Morelia, Zihuatanejo and Acapulco. The roads are good, the people are helpful and kind to strangers, knowing the language helps.

Thanks for the welcome. I look forward to talking with more of the members as time goes on. I am not a wrench so I need help from time to time.
Keep your lid on.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
new member mexico

I should add that I do a lot of bloging about Mexico. You can find me by just typing.......mexicodrifter.....on Google.com. Happy reading.

·
Administrator
13,658 Posts
howdy. be sure to vote for bike of the month and submit your own for voting

You are as likely to be shot in Mexico as you would be in your home town
Ciudad Juarez. no place in America is that bad. i was recently planning a trip from Austin to California and was going to purposely choose a route that went around El Paso because of all the trouble going on in that area at the time and near the border there.

only place in Mexico i've ever been is Auna. maybe the country gets bad press, but any place that is publicized like some places in Mexico makes me weary of taking a trip

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the continued "!Beinvinedos", Welcomes:D. Nice to be acknowledged. I don`t know all the answeres to the question about violence in Mexico. But I do know this. The American press loves to ride a story. If you live your life by what the press says then you probably won`t do much of anythng, riding, walking, talking to your nieghbor, or driving to work.

I have lived here a long time, 12 going on 13 year. Mexico is a beautiful country to ride. It has a special charm beyond the resort towns and 2nd largest city in the world. The charm lies in its people. I have met a lot of folks in my life and these are some of the best. Warmhearted and giving. They are willing to take the time to say "HI" :). But they are also very conservative.

If you want an experience beyond the borders of your own mind,:eek: then come south of the border, way south of the border and visit the real Mexico.
Keep safe,

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
No pasa nada!
You're right on the money about the media. I can't stand them.
Don't think I'll get that far south on the scooter but who knows what opportunities lie ahead.
Glad to have you around. I think you have thick enough skin to put up with the likes of us. Feel free to poke some fun our way, we welcome that too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts