Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greeting all, I joined because I am wanting to learn more about the V-Star bikes. I am getting back into motorcycles after a 24 year break. I have not purchased anything yet but I am leaning toward a Vstar 650

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hello Mule. Is there any reason why you're leaning towards a 650? I came from a 600cc sportbike and went to the 950T. I do miss the power of the inline four. If you're looking at riding a lot on the highway I would recommend a bigger displacement like the 950 or 1100. RPM's are lower and it makes for a more comfortable ride. I'm not a big guy at 5'8'' and the 650 felt cramped on the ergonomics. If cost is an issue, I've found that the insurance on the 950 is dirt cheap (being under 1000cc helps), fuel mileage is also good at the high 40's. As far as engines, Yamaha makes a good product. There are plenty of people around with 100K and no major mechanical issues on the entire V-Star lineup.

·
Super Moderator
6,414 Posts
Hi Mule, welcome to the forum. Where in Ms do you hail from? I'm in the north end of the state.
Stose85 is dead on. I went to a 950 tourer from a 650 classic. The 650 is a great bike, yet I wanted more of a road bike, and the 950 fit that bill for me. Let us know what you decide on, and glad you joined us!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
mulefeathers

Welcome to the forum from Okla. I have both the 650 and 1100 and they are dependable.
The 950 seams to be the hot one, but it was only a gas vapor when I got my bikes.
Maybe if the 1100 EVER quits? My 650 is 10yr old and 50,000 miles from new with not
a nickle more spent on it for brake downs. It's smaller
mule.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well I was leaning towards the smaller bike just because its been so long since I ridden a motorcycle. I was worried about too much too soon and it get away. The 24 years is not an exaggeration. I'm in Madison. About 12 miles north of Jackson. I have found many 1100 around here for what I consider a reasonable price. I should add I'm 6' and 260 pounds. If that helps with any advice.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm 6' and 260 pounds. If that helps with any advice.
I would definitely say a bigger displacement is in order, just so you're comfortable. The 950 definitely doesn't have the power to get away from you in my opinion. I would venture to say, you'd have to get a Stratoliner to really run into trouble. Riding a motorcycle is just like riding a bike. I'm sure you'll jump right back into it.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
At 6'260 You would have to make changes right off the bat to the 650. Like you would have to move the
foot controls forward 6" and maybe some risers without pullback to get the bars up some and set the shock per-load to hard.

·
Super Moderator
6,414 Posts
Sorry, meant to say I was there about three weeks ago. Go to a dealership and sit on a 950 and a 1300. I'm 5' 11' tall, and with the mustang seat, I'm quite comfortable on it. Just a suggestion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Welcome from southwestern PA. No matter which one ya choose, the V Star is a good choice in as much as they require very little maintenance and run for a long time. I would suggest trying to get some seat time on each to see which one is gonna fit ya, if ya can. For me, I knew i wanted the 1100 before I even went and bought it. After just sitting on one, I knew that was the one. And sure you'll wanna make some changes to it for various reasons. And there's no shame in starting on something smaller and stepping up later on. Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts