Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - Getting back into riding after a 35 year hiatus. I picked up a 2008 VStar 1300 last summer, little bigger than what I wanted to restart with, but I am enjoying riding again. Can't wait for the warmer weather to return, I'm getting the mid winter twitch.

Glad to find this forum. The bike came with a Memphis Slim shield, wind issues start around 60-65. I never had this issue with my prior bike and Vetter faring. I suspect I will be buying a batwing this season. I will be leaning on most of you to find a proven setup. I want the fairing, not interested in the Sound systems. I have no desire to be blasting music as I ride, might force me toward Memphis Shades since most of the other suppliers setup their batwings with speakers.

Thanks Tom

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hi - Getting back into riding after a 35 year hiatus. I picked up a 2008 VStar 1300 last summer, little bigger than what I wanted to restart with, but I am enjoying riding again. Can't wait for the warmer weather to return, I'm getting the mid winter twitch.

Glad to find this forum. The bike came with a Memphis Slim shield, wind issues start around 60-65. I never had this issue with my prior bike and Vetter faring. I suspect I will be buying a batwing this season. I will be leaning on most of you to find a proven setup. I want the fairing, not interested in the Sound systems. I have no desire to be blasting music as I ride, might force me toward Memphis Shades since most of the other suppliers setup their batwings with speakers.

Thanks Tom
Welcome! You can learn a lot here! These guys are great. The memphis shades fairing is a really nice fairing. I just bought one for my 650 and it was around $300. I used HD quick release brackets that came off my dads old softail so I didnt have to buy a mounting kit. That runs you like $80 I believe. Love the fairing like I said, but it DOES NOT eliminate the head buffeting at high speeds. You will need to find the correct height windshield and possibly lowers on the fairing and forks. Unless you are dead set on a batwing I would buy some MS lowers and see if you can eliminate your problem with just those. There are tons of threads about lowers on here and all over the internet. Just use the search bar in the upper right to look at threads on the site. Post some pics of your bike, we love pics!!

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,051 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,254 Posts
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee Tom. I ride the 1300s little brother, the 950. I went with the MS batwing fairing, lowers and deflectors added to the fairing. I also went with the 12’ windshield as the 9’ created way too much head buffeting. I’m quite pleased with the setup I have now. Keep us updated on your progress. Ride safely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
981 Posts
Welcome from NC!

Getting back to riding is cool! I got back to it in 2016 after 18-year "break". Rode a Stryker for an year (same engine as V Star 1300) and traded it in for HD RK last year.

Please, share pics of your 1300!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts