Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I'm a new member from San Jose, Ca. New rider too. Did my CMSP late last year and got my license soon afterwards.

I just bought my 1st bike, 2013 Yamaha V-Star 950 Tourer. So far loving it. Nothing too scary has happened yet and the places I've ridden the drivers in the cars around me have been courteous and kind with my newbie self.

I've been on one group ride in Southern California that was great.

I plan on riding some more to work through the things that I need to, then take the intermediate class at the local CMSP training.

I've already experienced the great support and helpful tips of this Forums by reading about my type of bike as well as posting a few questions and getting great detailed answers. Thanks for that!

I look forward to participating more and hopefully able to help out other newbies that come along.

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
8,057 Posts
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Glad you joined us. We have many 950 riders here that I'm sure will answer any questions you have. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

Go to last page for current hunt :

Ride often and safe.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Welcome Neighbor. I'm in Antioch (retired and sold my house in Fremont) and my son lives in San Jose near the Kaiser Hospital / Santa Teresa Blvd.

The safety courses are always a great idea, kudu's for doing so. Most people in NCal are reasonably polite to bikes but you obviously have to keep your eyes wide open.

When you get a chance, please add some pics of your bike. We really like pictures here.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin. You can never have too much knowledge. safety is paramount! Don't ever get complacent, think like everyone on the road wants to put their bumper on your shiny bike. Glad you joined us the 950 family seems to be one of the happiest with their bikes.

·
Super Moderator
3,626 Posts
Welcome from Atlantic Canada, where I have to keep my jealousy in check that you can ride year round...lol. You found the best place to learn all about your bike and riding in general. Our members are always happy to help in any way possible. I'd love to see a pic of your ride too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Glad you joined us. We have many 950 riders here that I'm sure will answer any questions you have. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

Go to last page for current hunt :

Ride often and safe.

Thank you lesblank. I have gone through all those links and participated in the polls where able. Unfortunately I haven't even hit 200 miles yet on a bike. So I'll have to hold off on that poll for now. :D The Scavenger Hunt looks like fun and would be a great reason to get out on the bike and explore. I'm going to try to participate there when able.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome Neighbor. I'm in Antioch (retired and sold my house in Fremont) and my son lives in San Jose near the Kaiser Hospital / Santa Teresa Blvd.

The safety courses are always a great idea, kudu's for doing so. Most people in NCal are reasonably polite to bikes but you obviously have to keep your eyes wide open.

When you get a chance, please add some pics of your bike. We really like pictures here.
Hi Neighbor! If you or your son ever put together or know of a group ride that allows for newbie's please think of me and let me know. I'd be real happy to meet and join a bunch of locals explore the back roads here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome from Wisconsin. You can never have too much knowledge. safety is paramount! Don't ever get complacent, think like everyone on the road wants to put their bumper on your shiny bike. Glad you joined us the 950 family seems to be one of the happiest with their bikes.
Hi Deeksvstarclassic,

I have no problem being that annoying guy that continues to ask crazy questions. So for those that find it annoying, apologies all around.
I've seen youtube video's of being hit from behind at a stop. It's just one of things I'm worried about. So much I get hyper vigilant about when I come to a stop. Also I need to find better side mirrors. Either my body's frame is larger than the average rider, or the mirrors just suck and not allow to see anything behind me.

I lucked into the V-Star bikes. I went on a group ride in Orange County, Ca last last year and borrowed a V-Star 650 Classic. It was a nice ride. Fun too! I'm looking forward to more of them, but now I can bring my own personal ride with a bit more humph to it.

I did try other bikes. Sitting on them just didn't feel right. Either the seat was one long cushion, or the handle bars were too short together, or i was leaning too far forward which I'm not quite used to yet. This bike was just the glass slipper for me at this time. I'm sure as I get better at riding, I'll be eyeing other bikes more. I think I'd like adventuring in my future. Going out bike camping sounds like fun.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ditto on the pics and we’re glad you joined us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Keith Post!

I did post some picts I took at the dealership to my showcase. I'll be working on newer ones with all the changes I make soon. Just need to finish the changes (adding lower windshields, back luggage rack, etc...) then I'll do a new photoshoot.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome from Atlantic Canada, where I have to keep my jealousy in check that you can ride year round...lol. You found the best place to learn all about your bike and riding in general. Our members are always happy to help in any way possible. I'd love to see a pic of your ride too.
Hi NorthernRider,

Year round seems a bit more hardcore 3-4 months out of the year in San Jose, where its cold and rainy. Right now the temp is averaging around 45-55 degrees, which for this Southern California Boy is too cold. I rode my bike back from the dealership on Saturday and the tips of my fingers where ice cold. That was with two pairs of gloves on.

I don't know how anyone else does it in this weather or even colder. They are much more badasses then me or just need to ride that much more and I tip my helmet to them.

So far I've learned about possible issues with my bike that I don't think I'd be able to find anywhere else, other than from other riders that have the same bike. I'm deeply appreciative to the members here that have helped so far. I hope to roll that usefulness forward with other new members.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Welcome from Columbus, OH! I also have the 950. I really like the bike. As an older rider it fits me well. I have the confidence I can maneuver the bike without many issues. I added passing lamps and a Kuryakyn R/T/B converter for the rear lights. It makes the rear turn signals running lamps as well as brake lights. It is an upgrade I would recommend. You will need to change out your rear bulbs and lenses but it is worth it! Be safe out there!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome from Columbus, OH! I also have the 950. I really like the bike. As an older rider it fits me well. I have the confidence I can maneuver the bike without many issues. I added passing lamps and a Kuryakyn R/T/B converter for the rear lights. It makes the rear turn signals running lamps as well as brake lights. It is an upgrade I would recommend. You will need to change out your rear bulbs and lenses but it is worth it! Be safe out there!
Hi Redbird!

Thanks for the recommendation. I've been eyeing passing lamps and the Kuryakyn R/T/B. Saw them in a youtube vid of a guy's modded 950. I like most of what he did and just put together a shopping list. I hope to purchase them soon and then I'm going to talk to my local Bob's Garage to install them as I don't want to mess with the electronics just yet.

While at it I've been debating changing the lights to all LED. I've read/heard different things about doing it though for the headlight. Some Pos/Neg. Not sure what I should go with at the moment. Have you done this or considered it?

·
Super Moderator
3,626 Posts
I usually ride into the mid 40's, which is April to early November around here. Below that it can drop quickly and ice can form, plus if we get even a 1/2" of snow they salt the roads and that crap isn't getting on my bike. Mid 50's is a little cool, but around early April if we get warm days like that and we've had some rain to rinse off the salt, bikes start showing up on the roads (mine included).

And yes, this is a very informative and helpful forum. I've joined a few over the years and a lot of times when you ask a question you get "that's been asked before, do a search". I've never seen that happen here. You'll get an answer and maybe a link to a thread with more information. That's why I'm still here, even though I've sold my Yamaha and ride something different now. It's the people that make this forum so great.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
8,057 Posts
Hi Redbird!

Thanks for the recommendation. I've been eyeing passing lamps and the Kuryakyn R/T/B. Saw them in a youtube vid of a guy's modded 950. I like most of what he did and just put together a shopping list. I hope to purchase them soon and then I'm going to talk to my local Bob's Garage to install them as I don't want to mess with the electronics just yet.

While at it I've been debating changing the lights to all LED. I've read/heard different things about doing it though for the headlight. Some Pos/Neg. Not sure what I should go with at the moment. Have you done this or considered it?
Just changed all my lights to LED. I'm on a different bike than you but results will be the same. Changing to LED was the best upgrade I've done in years. Here's link to what I did:

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Hi Redbird!

I did an LED upgrade to my headlight and I like how bright it is but not how it lights up the road. I do need to change the reflector so I am sure that would help out. The R/T/B kit is a simple plug and play. Very simple to install. Just separate the plug, insert the converter box, plug it in and on you go. I would not do this until you have the right bulbs to go in the sockets and the rear lens covers. Custom Dynamics sells the lens covers and the LED bulbs are 7507. The rear turn bulbs have a weird pin config on them. They are offset about 30 degrees which are different than the ones you see in stores. I think the 1156 bulbs you can get in the stores the pins are 180 degrees from one another. Some have said just filing off one of the pins is good enough but I want to make sure the lamp is going to stay in the socket so I just worked until I found what I was looking for. Perhaps @Keith Post will weigh in with the exact bulbs needed. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
you are doing everything the right way

congrats on taking the riding course and getting your license

you got a great bike. I would hold off on changing anything until you put a few thousand miles on it.

Dont worry about LED bulbs until one burns out, you dont really save anything putting LEDs on a motorcycle, unless you really want to max out your spare alternator power for a stereo and have to count every amp of current being used

If you change the headlight to an LED you must get a full replacement with the matching reflector. If you want the headlight to just be brighter get a SilverStar Halogen bulb and try that first - it will be brighter and will last at least a year - plug in replacement with your OEM reflector.

The only thing I caution you on is the group rides. I would avoid them till you have more riding experience, and then I would only ride with small groups of people that you know well.

Big group rides with strangers have a habit of becoming a motorbike dominos demonstration.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
PS: for riding in cold weather goto walmart and get a pair of spit leather (brown) gloves - look in the garden section for a lined pair. Get the ones that cover your wrists.

You have a windshield which will cut down the wind blast in the cold. You need a good wind-break layer in the cold, unless you have a leather jacket designed for motorcycles. Textile jackets usually come in either one layer for summer riding, or a three layer version that lets you take out the windbreaker layer, and the insulation layer to cover from 40F and up.

the other thing that helps is something to cover your neck from the top of your chest to just under your nose, if you have a full face helmet. Something like a turtle neck shirt you can pull up over your mouth.

and a pair of pants (jeans) one size larger in the waist so you can wear two pairs when its cold.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts