Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Just thought I'd introduce myself. Name's Nick, I'm an Engineer living in Western Tennessee. Picked up my new 09 V Star 950 on Monday with 0 miles on the clock. Loving it so far! Enjoy...

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
Actually, given Tennessee's nickname, you can't be JUST an engineer. You have to be a Volunteer Engineer. FTFY:D:D:D

Welcome to a tightly (often too tight :D) knit worldwide group of social misfits and meandering metrics. :)

Do NOT, under any circumstances, pay any attention to Bevo's admonitions...:D

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Hey Nick, welcome.

And a fellow engineer to boot. ME? EE? (anything but a software engineer I hope - LOL)

Also I'm glad to see you got the color right.

And I don't want to know what that puddle is on the floor next to your bike...lets just leave it as "you really love the 950" and move along.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, given Tennessee's nickname, you can't be JUST an engineer. You have to be a Volunteer Engineer. FTFY:D:D:D

Welcome to a tightly (often too tight :D) knit worldwide group of social misfits and meandering metrics. :)

Do NOT, under any circumstances, pay any attention to Bevo's admonitions...:D
Thank you very much. I belong to a Ford Escape forum as well, and we are a close "family" as well. Hopefully, this site will treat me the same.

Hey Nick, welcome.

And a fellow engineer to boot. ME? EE? (anything but a software engineer I hope - LOL)

Also I'm glad to see you got the color right.

And I don't want to know what that puddle is on the floor next to your bike...lets just leave it as "you really love the 950" and move along.
Yes, I love the Tommy Blue.

And the puddle is WATER that was dripping of my car. I had nothing to do with it!!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like you'll fit right in around here :D

Good :D

Took her out last night for about a 20 mile ride. Got lost for a second, and quickly found out where I took a wrong turn. I've been down here for a year and a half now, and still learning my way around!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Congrats on a great looking bike and welcome to an awesome site. This is a good place for information and getting ideas...because we all have plenty of those for our bikes.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Welcome Nick!

It is this color I wanted for my 950! :) (But the delivery time was too long and I'm not patient enough :D). It is also beautiful in blue, flaming!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the compliments guys. It's much appreciated.

I'm looking for a good helmet. Anybody recommend a good online dealer for good prices and brands. I know Bell, Shoe, and HJC have good reputations. Any others?

·
Registered
923 Posts
I have a G-Max GM55S and love it. It's a half helmet with a built in visor. Good price and one of the top rate from the reviews I've found. It also comes in different colors/patterns.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Welcome Nick,
I'm new too, very nice looking bike and color. I'm interested in your helmet question also. I have a half helmet but I'm looking for a full faced one too. I might go to my local Yamaha dealer today to look at what they have. I know Jay Leno likes wearing a full faced one too. I just bought a 07 Roadliner from someone in TN, it hasn't been delivered yet though.:(
Joe

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
I'm looking for a good helmet. Anybody recommend a good online dealer for good prices and brands. I know Bell, Shoe, and HJC have good reputations. Any others?
I use an HJC FS-15 full face with the pin-lock system. After many years of experimentation, this is the best helmet I've ever used. Very stable to 75mph and allows you to turn your head fully sideways without slipstream-induced neck strain. Slight buffet begins around 80.

If you ride in high humidity, cold, fog and rain, I highly recommend the pin-lock system. I've used the Fog City glue-in anti-fog inserts which are finicky to install but very effective when you get it right, but the Pin-Lock allows you to quickly change inserts to a variety of shades in addition to the anti-fog. I use only the clear anti-fog insert as I ride at night. Most high end HJC helmets come with the Pin-Lock anchors installed. Inserts run $25-$30 and worth every penny.

The FS-15 is well ventilated and comfortable winter/summer.

I can recommend both the Motorcyle Superstore and Leatherup. You can generally find 15% off coupons at Leatherup and I've never had a problem with their goods or customer service. They ship very quickly.

Regards:)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the info Springer. I'll definitely look into the FS-15. It's a little higher in price than I'd like to spend. The FS-10 looks like a decent buy as well.

Still considering the AFX. It's a good price for all the features (internal sunshade).

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
Thanks for the info Springer. I'll definitely look into the FS-15. It's a little higher in price than I'd like to spend. The FS-10 looks like a decent buy as well.

Still considering the AFX. It's a good price for all the features (internal sunshade).
If you're not fashion conscious (I'm not when it comes to money:D) this is a heck of a price for an FS-15:

http://www.leatherup.com/p/HJC-Full-Face-Helmets/HJC-Helmet-FS-15-TERROR-MC31/59355.html

You'll note that some of the less popular colors are on sale. Last year I grabbed a horrible yellow one at a good price. What the heck, I don't have to look at it when I'm riding...:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts