Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,
I'm in the process of buying a '97 Royal Star on layaway from a local dealer, $3995, super clean, 28k miles, needs nothing. I've paid about 1/2 of the price already, hope to have it paid off by end of Sept. and get in a month or two of fall riding in New England.

I have a question regarding suspension set-up, I've heard that as delivered the suspension is set too soft and the handling wallows. However the fix is to adjust the suspension stiffer. Now, I am approx 185 lbs (so call it 190 lbs fully outfitted with gear) and my GF is approx 150'sh. Granted she won't be riding with me ALL the time, but would prefer to 'set and forget' the suspension.

My riding history started out sportbike/standards, but my last bike was a '97 Honda Magna 750 set up as a bagger. A good bike but a bit small for extended rides with the GF.

Anyway, can someone recommend good settings to sharpen up the handling, given the weights mentioned?

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Welcome from one MASShole to another. LOL!
Althought I'm also a part time MAINEiac.

Sorry but not having the same scoot as you I can't make any suggestions on your suspension.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hello Green00zrx, I know Lowell, Mass. I was therre a lifetime ago. lLived in Boston for long enough to love it.
While you are waiting for your bike, I suggest you crusie the internet for a shop manual. They usually run between $10 and $30 bucks. You will get loads of info and how to and you will be ready for your ride in style.
AS for your suspension, just up it one notch and ride it awhile. You can always go another if you want but I think one will do it.
Ride Safe

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Welcome aboard . I would ride it 1st sounds like your pretty light. Just a thought.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just picked up a 2005 and I am really happy with the ride vs. the cruiser I just got rid of. The "05" has air ride(dont know about yours?)and the manual says 0 PSI is standard so I figure I can always go stiffer. I think it said up to 7 psi.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts