Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, hello all! My name is Mike, and I own a 2000 Vstar 1100 Classic. I am doing somewhat of a bobber project with it. 2 years ago, I took the baffles out of the pipes, and did not rejet the carbs as recommended. It still ran all season perfectly fine. Last year, I put 16" ape hangers on it, along with new cables. In order to do this, I had to take a lot of parts off of the bike. When putting everything back together, I accidentally switched 2 of the fuel hoses around. One being the hose coming out of the gas tank, and the other being the front carb fuel hose. For a very short time, the carb hose was coming straight out of the gas tank. It ran for about 30 seconds, then sputtered out and wouldn't start. After troubleshooting and discovering my stupid mistake, I switched the hoses back to where they were supposed to be. Ever since then, the bike runs like junk. It idles rough, it sputters when throttle is applied, and backfires heavily when coasting and often even while cruising. On top of that, I forgot to put stabilizer in the tank in the offseason. Since then, I replaced the fuel filter, air filter, drained the old gas and put fresh gas in, but it is still running rough. I have a feeling, due to the symptoms, that it is running lean. I haven't been able to find anyone else as stupid as me on the internet who switched the hoses around the way I did, so I thought I'd throw the problem out to you guys. Any suggestions would help tremendously! Thanks

·
Registered
491 Posts
As much as I know you don't want to hear it, take it from me (and most of the others here) clean the carbs. My 99' 1100 was running like crap as well and I spent about $100 on parts I didn't need. Took the time to clean the carbs and rejet them accordingly and with the exception of a little bit of high idle while moving, she's running great. I just have to get off my butt and make a manometer so I can sync the carbs and turn the PMS screws out a smidge and I should be golden. :)

eGo

·
Super Moderator
6,013 Posts
Hi Mike, I'm in agreement with eGo. Some of the earlier carbed bikes can be a bit sensitive. My 07' 650 classic was that way. I know it's a pain and time consuming, yet I'd clean the carbs as well. Just my 1.5 cents worth.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts