Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined this forum. As a female new rider (as soon as I pass training course and get licensed) I am looking for feedback on a 2009 Star Custom V 650 with 1709 miles and only non-stock addition is passenger back rest. I have an extremely experienced friend checking it over for me. Is this as good a starter bike as we've been told and what immediate additions would ppl advise? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
116 Posts
That's a great bike! A friend of mine rode with us from northern Illinois to Ashville, NC and back on his and had no problems keeping up. He said he was very comfortable. Plus they are bullet proof. A great choice. And like Corsair said, you may just decide to keep it!

·
Super Moderator
13,073 Posts
howdy. the 650 is a great entry bike, and some people find it's enough power for them to not even need upgrading after several years and take it all over the country, both men and women. as far as additions, that's really a personal taste. i think most people start with a windshield if you don't have one. other than that, just take a look at what others do on their bikes on here and it may give you some ideas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks everyone, I feel welcome here and you've all been very helpful. I tried to add a picture of the new 2009 V650 Classic I bought vs. the used one I thought I wanted. However, I apparently need to learn how to do that as well as how to ride. The new bike of course had a warranty, and windshield, saddle bags and more while barely higher in price. It was hard to say who had more fun and was more excited, my friend or myself. He drove it home for me as his wife and I followed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
V star purchase

Hello

Not sure if you decided on the 650 but I ride an 1100 and it was my first bike. Not a whole lot of difference but perhaps a little more get up and go (I can keep up with my dad who rides a 1700). Curb weight is a little more but either would be a good choice.

Definitely get saddle bags. Where else do you put your purse? :D

If you have any questions, just let me know. I have been riding for about 4 years now.

Sarah

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello Sarah, thank you for your input and encouragement. My friend tried to get me to go larger, but as a newbie 650 was as big as I felt comfortable with, for now. He might be right, I might trade up next year :) We'll see. Mine came with saddle bags so that was one less add-on to concern myself with. Wow, we live close enough perhaps we'll meet up someday. Happy riding to you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts