Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all new member here from northwest Ohio. I have been riding an r6 since I was 18 (7 years ago). I hadn't been riding it much the past few years as my taste shifted more towards comfort and less towards insane performance. A couple months ago I rode a buddies road king and I started to get the itch for a cruiser but didn't want to spend the money or deal with the reliability of a Harley. I am die hard Yamaha and in all the years I owned my r6 I never had an issue with it. You cannot beat the performance and reliability of yamaha as far as I am concerned. So when I rode a buddies v star I was hooked. For the cost of these bikes you just can't beat the performance, looks, and quality. I picked up a 2001 v star 1100 custom last night. Really enjoying the thing in the little time I have had it. PO put on floorboards (which I would have done - like the look of the custom but the comfort of the floorboards), and drag bars (I would like to go back to stock), it has saddle bags, a sissy bar, and a windshield as well.

So I'm keeping an eye out for stock handlebars and risers as well as the highway bars. I need to measure to make sure the drag bars are the stock 1" (correct me if I am wrong) to make sure I won't have any issues with controls. I sure hope the PO didn't put a weird size on. I'm hoping to find someone interested in a trade for bars

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'd wager lots of money that they're the stock 1" size. You'll be able to pretty easily tell if they're different by simply holding a tape measure across the bar and eyeballing the width. If that proves difficult, just lightly close a crescent wrench across the diameter of the bar and measure that.

Welcome to the forum. There is a lot of great information to be gained here.

Also...pics or the purchase didn't happen! :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome! I didn't get the bike home till 11 last night so I just didn't have a chance to measure the bars or snag a picture. That is the plan tonight!

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Silly me...you did a lovely intro over here. And we'll give you a day or two to add pictures! Welcome again :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^no worries. I just commented on the other thread and was going to mention that I did give an intro but I guess you saw it now.

·
Super Moderator
6,086 Posts
Hi and welcome! Send those pics when you have the chance. Pics always gives others inspiration for their bikes. Ride safe and post often!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^voted on both

Here is a pic of the bike. After taking the sissy bar off, I think the drag bars would look better if I didn't have the windshield on. I still do prefer the feel off stock though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts