Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined the forum from Iowa. Quit riding back in 86, had a Suzuki L back then. Bought a 2008 Road Star this spring, good to get back on a bike. Look forward to riding and getting together virtually on this forum to help each other out if I can. Including a shot of the 08 Road Star.
Tire Plant Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
14,492 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Hill Country. Congrats on getting a nice looking bike. Ride often and safe.

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, 1982 XS650 Heritage Special, 2022 Roadking
3,535 Posts
Hello @jranders and welcome from Virginia. I once lived in Omaha and enjoyed riding both sides of the river. That RS will treat you well. Looks great too.

·
Premium Member
2008 Yamaha Road Star Silverado (Gray, hard bags, etc.)
1,291 Posts
Welcome from another Iowan. What part of the state? I'm in the eastern part near Iowa City/Cedar Rapids. I too have an '08 Road Star. Mine is the charcoal gray version.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome from another Iowan. What part of the state? I'm in the eastern part near Iowa City/Cedar Rapids. I too have an '08 Road Star. Mine is the charcoal gray version.
I'm in western Iowa, near Denison/Carroll area. Does your Road Star have any kind of aftermarket "tuner" on it? Does it have the 02 sensors in the exhaust pipes? I am have trouble with mine "missing" and from what I read it may be the Power Commander 3 the former owner installed.

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
You two from Iowa ever been to Anamosa to the National Motorcycle Museum? What a great place I was there 2 days and didn't see all of it.

Reactions: Brad_G

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
I'm only about 30-40 minutes from there. Sadly I've not been in the museum part yet. Did attend a retirement party in their banquet hall. Was up there a few weeks back when J&P Cycles were having their bike night. I like to go to bike nights and walk through looking at all the bikes and what the owners have done to them. I was sadly disappointed at J&Ps. When I arrived there were only 27 total bikes. I hope part of it was they kept changing the night and it may not have been well advertised.

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
I'm in western Iowa, near Denison/Carroll area. Does your Road Star have any kind of aftermarket "tuner" on it? Does it have the 02 sensors in the exhaust pipes? I am have trouble with mine "missing" and from what I read it may be the Power Commander 3 the former owner installed.
I still have the stock exhaust so the O2 sensors are intact.

A member of the Road Star Clinic picked up an '08 a few months back. Said he was running into an issue with it stumbling and not running right. His issues were at highway speeds. He had a power commander V on his bike. He talked to the manufacturer and got a "zero tune" mapping and downloaded it. Basically eliminating the tuner with the exception of raising the rev limiter. He didn't like the stock 4250 rev limit. He also pulled his obnoxiously loud pipes and put stock pipes I believe with the O2 sensors. His bike now runs smooth and doesn't have the issue any longer. He's wondering if his bypass plugs for the O2 sensors were the problem. Once back to actual O2 sensors and running the OEM tune the bikes been running great for him. I know the carb'd guys like the tuners, but it seems on the fuel injected bikes they've been the case of more problems than solutions. But that's not first hand knowledge, just the chatter I've heard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I still have the stock exhaust so the O2 sensors are intact.

A member of the Road Star Clinic picked up an '08 a few months back. Said he was running into an issue with it stumbling and not running right. His issues were at highway speeds. He had a power commander V on his bike. He talked to the manufacturer and got a "zero tune" mapping and downloaded it. Basically eliminating the tuner with the exception of raising the rev limiter. He didn't like the stock 4250 rev limit. He also pulled his obnoxiously loud pipes and put stock pipes I believe with the O2 sensors. His bike now runs smooth and doesn't have the issue any longer. He's wondering if his bypass plugs for the O2 sensors were the problem. Once back to actual O2 sensors and running the OEM tune the bikes been running great for him. I know the carb'd guys like the tuners, but it seems on the fuel injected bikes they've been the case of more problems than solutions. But that's not first hand knowledge, just the chatter I've heard.
Thanks for that feedback, I plan to pull the Power Commander and install the 02 sensors, trouble is I don't have the ones that would have been taken out and it appears everyone is "out of stock" on new ones, at least for now. As for the 4250 rev. I'm okay with that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You two from Iowa ever been to Anamosa to the National Motorcycle Museum? What a great place I was there 2 days and didn't see all of it.
I have not been there, driven by when I went to J&Ps, plan on stopping next trip I have to Cedar Rapids area for work. (not that much further)

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
I have an 01, straight pipes jetted for them , it's carbed so no problems. Mine would do better with the power commander, but not for the money to just change it out.

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
If you go by J&P first they used to give a discount card for the museum. J&p along Barber who has the museum in Birmingham started that museum.

Reactions: Brad_G
1 - 18 of 18 Posts