Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently purchased a VStar 950. Moving down from HD Dyna - of many years. Interesting change.......seems to be a nice lighter bike, and sufficient for my present level of riding. Hope to become more familar with the bike through this forum.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Welcome aboard.It was not a move down but a big step forward.If your hd was an older one then it was still naturally aspirated,were as the 950 is equipped with new state of the art fuel injection.Don't under estimate the star bikes,they are very well made.Post some pics of your new scoot.Ride safe and keep the shiny side up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome aboard message + photo

Welcome aboard.It was not a move down but a big step forward.If your hd was an older one then it was still naturally aspirated,were as the 950 is equipped with new state of the art fuel injection.Don't under estimate the star bikes,they are very well made.Post some pics of your new scoot.Ride safe and keep the shiny side up.
Thanks for the welcoming......have about 200 miles on this 950....see already I'll need to replace the OEM seat (any suggestions?), and along with that, the OEM 16" windshield will have to be replaced for a 20" one - (any suggestions other than that?) - have to cut that wind buffeting....16" is too short. Other than those two issues the bike seems to be working out well......a little short on torque, compared the Dyna, but I'll get used to that. I'll see if I can post a photo of the 950.

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,683 Posts
i recommend the mustang seat. i've put almost 20,000 miles on mine and it still holds its shape. it's ridiculously comfortable. every bike owner i know that have sat on mine have said it's the most comfortable seat they've ever sat on. i put over 800 miles on it one day and the only part of me that wasn't aching or fatigued was my butt. so yeah, i'd recommend it. mine is the wide studded seat.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bevo 1981.........Thanks for the info on your Mustang Seat.........I've seen that seat on the Mustang website......it's a looker. Should I decide to go with Mustang - it will be with studs. You mentioned 'wide studded seat', are there choices in width of the seats?

In the small snapshot (of your bike) it appears you have a tan seat cover - are there color choices too?

Thanks
Lee

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hdeater113 - I just noticed your forum name (hd eater) - clever. When I earlier stated I 'moved down' from a HD, I was referring to displacement......not quality. In my earlier days, I've owned FOUR Yamaha bikes - two 650s......one 750 (twin)...and one 750 four cylinder. LIked them all......the twin cyl 750 (with counter balancer) only was sold for 2 to 3 years. Bad engine design, but a wonderful bike before they began destroying their crankcase. The four cyl 750 was the most confortable and road worthy bike I've owned. Bought it in 1982 and traded it for my first HD in 1989. Sooooo, I have little doubt I'll enjoy owning my (now) 5th Yamaha. Just wish four cylinder bikes could still be found......loved that torque......loved that sound!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Welcome leeanders! Good choise of bike. I'm a proud 950T owner. I know what you mean about the old 4 cylinders, I had a 1982 Yamaha 650 Maxim, what a great little bike that was, ran great and ran strong for years, was still great when I sold it. wish I still had it as a second bike.

·
Administrator
13,683 Posts
bevo 1981.........Thanks for the info on your Mustang Seat.........I've seen that seat on the Mustang website......it's a looker. Should I decide to go with Mustang - it will be with studs. You mentioned 'wide studded seat', are there choices in width of the seats?

In the small snapshot (of your bike) it appears you have a tan seat cover - are there color choices too?

Thanks
Lee
there are no color choices. i had mine customized by a seat guy. as far as width choices, i guess there's wide and normal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts