Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm in the UK. I recently bought a 2002 1100 dragster. I've had it a couple of weeks now. I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I have a question concerning what appears to be clutch slip when accelerating hard in 3rd or 4th gear. Is this normal?

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
The clutch should not slip when the lever is released.

Check the free play in the clutch cable, at the bottom end where it goes into the engine case. As the clutch wears over time you lose freeplay, and it can wear to the point of slipping.

If you loosen the cable up and its still slipping, then you may need to replace the clutch disks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesn't slip if I engage 1st gear and hold the front brake on or going up a steep hill in top gear. Only under acceleration.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home/maintenance-repairs/clutch there is also an adjustment at the engine end of the cable. you have to remove the cover. there is a rod with a locknut on it loosen the nut and make sure there is a quarter turn of play in the rod and tighten the locknut.when you loosen the nut back the rod off a hair then turn roughly a quarter turn untill you feel resistance then back off one quarter turn.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,032 Posts

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
because of the ratio of each gear, the clutch has the most torque on the plates when you are accelerating hard in 5th gear, and the least when you are in 1st. Its very easy to have the engine wide open at 70 mph in 5th gear, hitting the peak of the HP curve, and pretty much impossible to hit the peak of the HP curve in 1st gear.

Another thing to check is to make sure your clutch cable isn't binding or hanging up.

Also when you are accelerating hard in 4th and 5th gear, make sure you are not pulling on the clutch level without realizing it, like putting your foot on the clutch pedal in a car... When you are riding a motorcycle WFO and you have a death grip on the handlebars, its easy to not realize you are pulling the clutch when you don't want to.

·
Registered
133 Posts
We are getting a lot of use out of the 1100 starting process lately haha. Thanks for throwing that up there Nick.

Welcome to the forum Crossey. You will find all kinds of good info and good people in here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts