Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all. I'm a new bike owner. 2010 Yamaha VStar 950. No miles yet. Just purchased the bike from a friend. Always wanted one. Looking forward to taking the local course and getting my license. Love to have some input from experienced riders on how to begin and will need instructions on how to maintain my new ride. Been in construction for 40 plus years and my hobbies are golf, guns, fishing, and my family. I'm from the Columbia SC area

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,039 Posts
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Glad you joined us. A safety course is a great start. Ride like you everyone wants to run you over, always have a planned way out off an unexpected situation and never drive over your comfort level. For maintenance here is free download of repair manual.

Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

Go to last page for current hunt :

Ride often and safe.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin. The 950 is a very popular bike her and everybody that has them loves them. I see we have similar interests except i don't golf. Is this your first bike? I am fortunate i started riding in my teens. Had a lot of bikes and settled on my 1100 Classic last spring. Safety courses are very good place to start. expect cages not to be paying attention. ALWAYS drive defensive keep your eyes up and moving. I can say the world is more dangerous since cell phones. There are a lot of great people here with a lot to share. Stop by often. Ride careful and often for me because i am hibernated.

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee!
You’re not too far away, are you in Richland county?
Wife and I each have 950’s and we enjoy them, easy to maintain. I’d recommend the MSF course if you haven’t already considered attending.
There’s a decent aftermarket for the 950’s, but shop around if you decide to do some mods. Here’s a pic of our bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2,357 Posts
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. As you can tell, this is a very active forum and our members will often go out of their way to help with any issues you may have. Lots of knowledge here so feel free to ask any questions about your bike or riding in general. I have to warn you, riding is an addiction that will only grow over time, but we're here to help with that too ;)

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Welcome @dpeters from North Carolina! Your not far from me at all. About 2 hours.
We’ve got quite a few riders in this area who get together and head out to the mountains for a ride once in a while.
Hopefully you can make it to our rally in Waynesville this year. It’s a great time had by all and we’d love to see you there!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Welcome from Columbus, OH! I have a 950 and love it. As a newer older rider I find it fits me well, has just enough torque to get the blood flowing. But I enjoy the cruising part of having a cruiser style of bikes...leave the crazy riding to the crotch rocket crowd. Looks like you have passing lamps already. I would recommend the Kuryakn R/T/B converter for your rear taillights if you do not have it already. It changes the rear turn signals to running lights and brake lights. In addition to the kit all you should need would be some new red lenses and new LED bulbs. The lenses are available at Custom Dynamics and the bulbs are 7507. Probably can not get those local. There are lots of them on line for a reasonable price. Also would recommend a new seat if you still have the stock one. They can get uncomfortable after awhile!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome from Columbus, OH! I have a 950 and love it. As a newer older rider I find it fits me well, has just enough torque to get the blood flowing. But I enjoy the cruising part of having a cruiser style of bikes...leave the crazy riding to the crotch rocket crowd. Looks like you have passing lamps already. I would recommend the Kuryakn R/T/B converter for your rear taillights if you do not have it already. It changes the rear turn signals to running lights and brake lights. In addition to the kit all you should need would be some new red lenses and new LED bulbs. The lenses are available at Custom Dynamics and the bulbs are 7507. Probably can not get those local. There are lots of them on line for a reasonable price. Also would recommend a new seat if you still have the stock one. They can get uncomfortable after awhile!
Thanks for the great suggestions! Do you have any specific recommendations on a new seat? I will definitely get that converter.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome @dpeters from North Carolina! Your not far from me at all. About 2 hours.
We’ve got quite a few riders in this area who get together and head out to the mountains for a ride once in a while.
Hopefully you can make it to our rally in Waynesville this year. It’s a great time had by all and we’d love to see you there!
When i get more comfortable and confident on my new ride I would love to get together with y'all.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. As you can tell, this is a very active forum and our members will often go out of their way to help with any issues you may have. Lots of knowledge here so feel free to ask any questions about your bike or riding in general. I have to warn you, riding is an addiction that will only grow over time, but we're here to help with that too ;)
I am definitely looking forward to developing my "addiction".

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome from Wisconsin. The 950 is a very popular bike her and everybody that has them loves them. I see we have similar interests except i don't golf. Is this your first bike? I am fortunate i started riding in my teens. Had a lot of bikes and settled on my 1100 Classic last spring. Safety courses are very good place to start. expect cages not to be paying attention. ALWAYS drive defensive keep your eyes up and moving. I can say the world is more dangerous since cell phones. There are a lot of great people here with a lot to share. Stop by often. Ride careful and often for me because i am hibernated.
Yes this is my very first bike. Thanks for the tips. I plan on riding often and will stop by here to share my experiences.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee!
You’re not too far away, are you in Richland county?
Wife and I each have 950’s and we enjoy them, easy to maintain. I’d recommend the MSF course if you haven’t already considered attending.
There’s a decent aftermarket for the 950’s, but shop around if you decide to do some mods. Here’s a pic of our bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am actually in Lexington County. Those are great looking bikes! I will be taking the local course in February.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Thanks for the great suggestions! Do you have any specific recommendations on a new seat? I will definitely get that converter.
I have heard great things about the Mustang brand of seats as well as other brands. I still have the factory seat. They are expensive so I am saving up for a new one. Hopefully by this riding season I will be able to spring for the new seat.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
finding a long distance riding seat is one of those things like trying to find the perfect windshield configuration to stop head buffeting

there is no one-size-fits-all answer

everyone's anatomy is different, so a seat that is great for one person may be worse than the stock seat for someone else

just as there are different size and shape helmets, jackets, boots - a seat needs to match the rider

I followed the DIY seat modification website suggestions and contoured the foam in my stock VS650 seat - it went from 1 hour max to being comfortable for 2 to 3 hours. If you are thinking of buying a different seat take a shot at modifying your stock seat first - worst case you will screw it up and have to buy a new seat, if you were going to buy a new seat anyway you have only spent a few hours of your time

the stock seat on my 2000 Royal Star is great the way it is -so even from one model to the next there is a lot of variation

The one thing I discovered by accident is putting a drivers backrest on the bike REALLY makes a big improvement in comfort and your feeling of security. You will not slide off the back of your bike at 80mph with a drivers backrest - by far its the best mod I have made to my bikes - it looks odd when the bike is sitting by itself, but does not really stand out when you are riding it. Having just a little bit of something you can lean back into lets you rest your lower back muscles, so its not like you are trying to sit up straight on a bar stool all day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts