Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hey there Matt, welcome to the forum from Virginia. I'm an MSF instructor. If you take the Beginner Rider Course at nearly all places that offer it, they provide the bike for you. Most every location will have 250's as they are small, cheap to purchase and cheap to fix as well as easily maneuverable for most people. If you're going to hop on your own steed and just "learn it on your own", be careful, stay in empty parking lots and such. As KCW stated, steering a motorcycle (which is at least moderately important) is a bit different that you may think when traveling at speeds above a fast walking pace.

Most courses in most places are offered for between $150 and $300 depending on the location. Go and use their bikes. If you drop it (other than during the evaluations) then they just pick it up and you keep it pushing. You will not be the first, nor will you be the last to drop one of the bikes. Not to mention, since they've been gently loved and slightly modified by many other riders before you, they are perfectly imperfect. That said, when you learn to maneuver one of them well, you will be that much better off and stronger on your own.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

MrSinister
Thanks for the info. I think i will do that. Still got a while before im vaxk in the states but getting that class is a top priority.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Even if you don't take a class to get your MC endorsement i still suggest taking a class at a community college. I took it oer 30 years ago and am still glad i did. I learned stuff i didn't know and i was on my 3rd cycle

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Even if you don't take a class to get your MC endorsement i still suggest taking a class at a community college. I took it oer 30 years ago and am still glad i did. I learned stuff i didn't know and i was on my 3rd cycle
Thats good to know too. Never even thought of that, didnt know they offered those type off classes.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts