Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Yamaha V Star 1100 Classic. I just recently replaced the engine because the nut sheared off on the drive shaft/u-joint assembly. But anyway got everything change out, but I'm having trouble getting the motor started. I have a new battery, new starter & new starter relay. Pretty much all I can get to happen is a click out of the starter relay. The starter won't even turn over, just a faint click in the starter. Also, I have checked all fuses & they are all good. If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated !

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
13,065 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes & yes, the nut sheared off on the transmission shaft. Yamaha dealer said the shaft assembly, parts & labor would be $2,400.00. I purchased the replacement engine for $1,500.00. Also, this engine has 8,500 miles on it. Versus 40,000 miles on the original engine, plus they put in a new starter clutch. But anyway like I said in my earlier post, the starter won't even turn over, just a clicking at the starter relay. I do have a new starter, new starter relay & new battery. All the fuses are good also.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, they tested it at the business where I purchased it at. Both starters in comparison had about the same amount of rpms. The rebuilt starter versus the new starter. I'm just wondering if there's another relay that could be bad or wire. Like the wire that goes from the battery to the starter. The starter came with a new cable but it was to short in length.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I checked the battery connections & they look good. I hooked up a separate battery directly to the starter, to try & start it that way. And, I still get the same results, just a click in the starter. Keep in mind the starter is brand new. I'm just wondering if the kick stand switch or the neutral safety switch is bad. Could that keep the motor from allowing the starter to turn the motor over ? But everything considered, there's a new battery, new starter, new starter relay. Also, the business where I purchased the motor at put in a new starter clutch. Any ideas would greatly be appreciated ! They also said they test run the motor before shipping it to me & everything was fine. So, I don't know what to do next, I guess load it up & take it to the Yamaha dealer ??? And let them do some diagnostic work on it. Thanks in advance to anyone who may have any ideas or clues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
After you connected a battery directly to the starter and resulted in the same clicking noise, that pretty much rules out the entire starter circuit. Since you replaced the motor have you had it run/start? I suggest that you have a friend help you push start the bike and see if the motor will turn over (make sure your in 2nd or 3rd gear) if it won't even turn over, then your replacement engine may be seized up or the timing is way off and the valves are preventing the engine from turning over, especially since the starter clutch has been replaced, which involves removing the flywheel. You can check the timing pretty easily. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey, Mark1968 here. I dropped my bike off at the Yamaha dealer this past Tuesday the 19th. Well they called me today & said they put a rush on it getting looked at. The tech said he shows 12 volts going to the starter, which I already knew. They said he says it's either the starter clutch is bad or the engine is seized up. Keep in mind in my earlier posts that where I purchased the replacement engine, they said they installed a new starter clutch ?!!! Well if the clutch turns out to bad...that's going to be a hell of a note isn't it ??? Anyway, Yamaha said they would be tearing into it more detailed tomorrow. I was wanting to ask anyone out there if it is possible for the timing to be off when the clutch was installed ? Hopefully that's all it is, I tried push starting it a couple of times. The motor actually sputtered a couple of times, sounding like it could possibly start, but never did. I'm hoping that didn't cause any damage. I don't think it did, I tried turning the motor over by connecting a separate external battery & jumping the starter. But to no avail I came up short w/ the same results of just a clicking from the starter relay. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated !!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Mike, (my name is Steve btw) I saw your reply this Am(3-22). Yes is possible for the timing to be off when replacing the starter clutch as it is located behind the flywheel, which has to be removed. I replaced mine when I bought my VStar 1100 classic. The starter would spin, but the engine wouldn't rotate, there wasn't any clicking though. When I put the flywheel/starter clutch back together, I inadvertently had the timing off and it strained the starter for the #2 piston was hitting the valves and it caused a clinking sound from the relay due to the severe load, it sputtered and did start, but there was a loud clanking noise as the valves were being hit by the piston. I stopped it and re-timed the engine and it has been running great ever since! I found a new starter clutch assembly on yamahapartsmonster.com for $304.00, as for taking it to a Yamaha service center, I imagine the cost to replace the starter clutch with parts and labor will be close to$800.00 to $900.00....ouch!!! I am willing to bet that your timing is off and since it apparently had a new starter clutch installed, it may not cost as much to have it re-timed. Best of luck and hope you are on the road soon!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yamaha contacted me & said the starter clutch WAS NOT new. Also, said there was a bolt sheared off in the fly wheel. So, I made contact with the place of business. They swear up & down that they DID install a new starter clutch. But the Yamaha dealer said there wasn't anyway ?!? She said if they did, Yamaha would have sent the NEW upgraded replacement starter clutch kit. But anyway, Yamaha said the starter clutch was bad & has to be replaced. Well, sounds like one of the two are lying, for whatever reasons I have no idea. But irregardless it's going to cost me 3 hours of labor @ $92.00 to put in a new clutch assembly. Oh, by the way, the business where I purchased the replacement engine...Steve's Cycles of Tifton Georgia. He said that he would send me a NEW starter clutch, imagine that after he swore he put a NEW starter clutch in before shipping the engine to me!!! I told him that Yamaha designed a new upgraded replacement kit, but he said he was NOT going to spend $500.00 on the NEW upgraded replacement kit. I've done some research on this new upgraded kit & it can be purchased on line for $359.00. He said he paid $250.00 for the "new" clutch he installed in the engine before shipping it to me! Anyway, I finally just said is there anyone higher up that I can speak to ? He said well sir I know you're upset, I'll look at it over the weekend & get back in touch with you on Monday. Well, less than 1 1/2 hours later he's calling me back. He said that he spoke to the owner & the owner told him to go ahead & order the new upgraded kit !!! Supposably so I would be happy, they would be happy, EVERYONE is happy !!!

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Well you gots to love it when it all comes together eh :). Since you have doubts on who is being honest here, I would ask the Yamy dealer to give you the "old/new" parts after the repair. Just to make sure the work has been done. I've done this before and man it payed off a few times. Are you going to wait for the replacement assy to come in or ask the stealer to put in one of his and then you give him the one from the engine guy?

In any case hopefully this resolves your situation and you get back to riding.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I guess Yamaha is going off the actual part #. Steve's Cycles wants the clutch he put in so he can send it back for warranty. Hopefully, there isn't anything else wrong w/ the engine after this. But one would think if it was a new starter clutch from Steve's Cycles it should have worked ? Especially being that he had just installed it before shipping the engine to me, unless he's just an all out liar!!! But he said he didn't have any reason to be lying to me. Also, like I said in my earlier post that there was a bolt sheared off on the fly wheel. That's not good, especially if he JUST put in a new clutch, even though it was NOT the upgraded kit. Plus, he said the engine ran before & after installing the NEW starter clutch !!! As of now I have yet to have or hear the engine run ???!!!😂

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, I guess Steve's Cycles is suppose to be sending me the new upgraded kit. When I get it (hopefully before the end of the week) I'll be taking it to the Yamaha dealer to be installed. All things considered I should have just repaired the original engine that had the nut shear off on the driveshaft assembly !!! But the reason I went this route was the repairs on the original engine was going to be around $2,500.00. So much for trying to save a dollar, huh ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought my starter clutch assembly @ Yamaha parts monster.com for $304.00, the price Steve's cycles quoted ($500.00) is the msrp, so their seems to be a little misrepresentation on their part. The "upgraded" assembly has a change in the pressed gears that are between the starter and the idler gear which is attached to the flywheel. This new design of the gears is called a "damper assembly", which is supposed to absorb the kickback when stopping the engine and not damage the starter clutch. The damper assembly has a splined shaft in the middle of the 2 gears and has several clutch plates and 4 spring washers that keep the clutch plates under tension so that it won't slip during starting, well that same amount of tension is still present when the engine is stopped, so I don't see how the "upgrade" is going to prevent kick back. So in short, they haven't resolved the problem. As for the clicking sound of the starter relay, it is most likely due to starter over load from the timing being off and the piston hitting the valves. Hopefully when the service center puts your new starter clutch in you will be good to go, for surly they have done this procedure several times and can do it correctly! Best of luck!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts