Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a vstar 1100 custom 07

alot of customs, love the bike

7k miles and i'm having starter issues, i came to this site after seeing there are many knowledgeable users here that might be able to help me figure this out.

i also own a suzuki gs750 03

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I currently own a vstar 1100 custom 07

alot of customs, love the bike

7k miles and i'm having starter issues, i came to this site after seeing there are many knowledgeable users here that might be able to help me figure this out.

i also own a suzuki gs750 03
Welcome to the forum. SO........... Spit it out, what is your starter problem??

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Welcome aboard. Maybe you should post a pic of your starter problem. When you read more of the forum you will get what I said.It's just a little fun a games we have around here.
Like ol' Surgar Bear said what's your starter problem? Give us some more details. There's a lot of 1100 riders here.Sparkyd could answer you ? if we new more details. He has an 1100 custom also with lots of mods.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Basically, i've narrowed the problem down to the starter clutch

i'm just wondering if wear on the gear idle 2 will be visible enough to know whether or not i need to order it for $100 or use the existing gear

it's a 13k mile bike, and i'm guessing i killed the starter clutch by giving the bike throttle when starting it

Are there any other parts other than a idle 2 gear / bearing / gasket that i'll need with a somewhat low mile bike? The starter works fine (spins/sounds normal)

other than giving it throttle when i would start it, i hear that custom pipes / tps / and not jetting it are other potential reasons why the starter clutch took a dump... either way i'm looking around $400-500 in parts to get my baby back on the road...

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Welcome to the 4M!
I'm sure somebody will jump on soon about your starter problem. I'm a bit confused about the "idle 2 gear"?? Are you saying the starter spins but the engine isn't cranking ?

And in the first picture, are those rocks or do you have a giant rabbit problem? :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Welcome to the 4M!
I'm sure somebody will jump on soon about your starter problem. I'm a bit confused about the "idle 2 gear"?? Are you saying the starter spins but the engine isn't cranking ?

And in the first picture, are those rocks or do you have a giant rabbit problem? :D
Yes, the starter free spins without cranking the engine

it started to get dodgy and needed a few tries to start the engine, then one day it just got really bad and started to free spin

the idle 2 gear was recommended to be replaced in another thread i read recently (but i will inspect the gear before ordering the parts)

and yes, those are rocks ;p my mini world strongest man atlas stones, all weighed and engraved with #'s, there are big ones not in the picture ;)

blue flames at night from the tailpipes (loud audio)

Bike Running + Walk around (low quality)

·
Registered
236 Posts
chillbman idle gear 2 is 1 of the parts that goes bad, Heres a picture of a bad 1 if it has any marks on it its bad. The 3 parts behide the fly wheel is the starter clutch an thats the parts you need to replace and the idle gear 1 lower left has been upgraded to help on kick back Yamahapartsnation.com has the kit for $295.

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
Idle 2 gears? Giant rabbits? Atlas stones? Blue flames? This is all too much for me!

Nice bike chillbman! And I too dig the pipes! Maybe the starter issues stem from the missing front fender? :D

Good luck with the issue, I'm sure you'll be provided with the right info! It's up to you to sift through all the "filler" to get what you're looking for! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts