Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new Monster Pro Exhaust delivered today, and am about to install it this weekend, however, after reading the 3 warnings in the box about doing a Air Fuel Ratio test by a professional and rejetting my carbs, i am a bit intimidated.

I can do pipes and such all day long, breaks, wiring, cables, lights, tires, but I am just not a Motor guy. And am not sure where to start and IF it really needs to be done.

Any advice from those guys out there who have Monster Pro exhaust, i have read some posts that guys have them while i have been lurking ... any help is welcome thanks

1999 VStar 1100 Custom is my ride. Monster Pro 2 to 1 pipes is what i am installing.

·
Registered
166 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you I am reading that link you posted now, I notice it does not mention anything about AIS removal, I am wondering if the AIS being removed has any bearing on Rejetting as well, or if it has any factor in the size of jets needed.

I notice that your Sliverado has the AIS removed, (I am honestly not sure exactly what is accomplished by removing the AIS I just know that one of the pipes is in the way of doing it, and killing 2 birds with one stone may be a good option for me if it is useful for me to do.)

Thanks Again for the Link.

·
Registered
166 Posts
AIS removal will help with backfire issues that arise once you start messing with the intake/exhaust.

There's information about it on that same website, one of our members also did a thorough write-up on it. Just do a forum search for AIS, you'll see it.

Very simple process, I purchased a kit with aluminum plugs for it from SS Custom. A lot of people are using .45 casing, which are cheaper.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you can do all that, then you can remove the carb.
You just need to get reacquanted with what to remove.

Carb sits under the tank and comes right out between the cylinders.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw the thread on the AIS removal with the .45 empties. I realize there are several guys using that method, but I am not quite sure I trust a spent round to hold up. Just makes me nervous. A kit would make me feel a bit more comfortable, seems they are only about 15 - 20 bucks.
Exhibit76 after reading through what SThomas sent, I feel my confidence building. With someone who wrenches in my garage with me, i feel as though I can pull it off, if not, I trailer the bike to a shop so they can fix my mistake.

I have always hated to pay someone to do something that I am capable of doing my self.

Thanks for all the help guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts