Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Honda Goldwing
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I’m looking at getting a Vstar and I don’t know whether to get the 650 or the 1100 starting out. I feel the 650 would be a better starter but I’ve currently been driving a 1200 Goldwing(Dad’s bike) and I’m looking to get my own soon. The biggest thing is that I wanna take it on 2+ hour rides, I’ve heard some things about the bike not being the greatest for highway rides that go over 80. Any helpful information?

·
Super Moderator
3,652 Posts
Get the 1100 if you want to ride distance I have a 650 and a Strat. My last bike was a 1100 and it was great for long rides. I see this is your first post. Welcome from Sacramento, Ca. If you post in the New Member Introductions we can get to know you better.

·
Registered
2011 Yamaha VStar 650
518 Posts
If you are used to riding a goldwing, then I would recommend the 1100...

·
Registered
2011 Yamaha VStar 650
518 Posts
The 650 will be smaller and lighter than what you have been used to. It tops out around 90mph and will likely feel very buzzy at those speeds than compared to a goldwing. It isn't the most comfortable bike to ride for hours on end - not saying you can't do it as people like @Jspree have done it, just not for me. From your comments alone, I would think that you would be better off with the 1100 but might make sense for you to see if you can test drive both to see what you prefer!

·
Registered
1987 Honda Goldwing
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 650 will be smaller and lighter than what you have been used to. It tops out around 90mph and will likely feel very buzzy at those speeds than compared to a goldwing. It isn't the most comfortable bike to ride for hours on end - not saying you can't do it as people like @Jspree have done it, just not for me. From your comments alone, I would think that you would be better off with the 1100 but might make sense for you to see if you can test drive both to see what you prefer!
Thanks for the feedback. I don’t have a preference yet I’ve not even clocked in 5,000 miles yet so I’m still new to bike riding

·
Registered
5,521 Posts
I vote for the 1100. Not because i have one. If you can ride a 1200 wing you will think the 1100 is like a well oiled machine. After riding 40+ of honda i would say a Vstar 1100 handles way better. Lower center of gravity. I have had 450 nighthawk to 1800 vtx and have to say i love my 1100 classic.

·
Registered
1987 Honda Goldwing
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I vote for the 1100. Not because i have one. If you can ride a 1200 wing you will think the 1100 is like a well oiled machine. After riding 40+ of honda i would say a Vstar 1100 handles way better. Lower center of gravity. I have had 450 nighthawk to 1800 vtx and have to say i love my 1100 classic.
Thanks for the feedback. I’ve been pondering this for awhile now and I’m glad to see that you all share a similar opinion in the 1100

·
Registered
727 Posts
Well, here's an unfounded opinion. I'll also suggest the 1100. I've never riden the 1100, mind you, but I do have the 650 and a Stratoliner (previous bikes were Harley touring platforms). Oh yeah, I never rode a 1200 Goldwing either (or any Goldwing, I had my first wreck on a Silverwing, the scooter not the motorcycle).

After riding the 1200, flat 4, you're not going to like how feeble the 650 will feel to you. Its also going to vibrate a lot more than the touring ride ride that you've gotten used to. I'm guessing that if you are borrowing your fathers bike and rebuilding another, that you don't have oodles of extra cash hanging around. If that's true then it would most likely be wasting some of it, because you'll be looking to sell it in the not to distant future.

But like I said, I don't have any experience with any of the bikes you've mentioned, except for the 650. Remember, you get what you pay for and you didn't pay me a thing for this particular opinion.

·
Registered
1987 Honda Goldwing
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, here's an unfounded opinion. I'll also suggest the 1100. I've never riden the 1100, mind you, but I do have the 650 and a Stratoliner (previous bikes were Harley touring platforms). Oh yeah, I never rode a 1200 Goldwing either (or any Goldwing, I had my first wreck on a Silverwing, the scooter not the motorcycle).

After riding the 1200, flat 4, you're not going to like how feeble the 650 will feel to you. Its also going to vibrate a lot more than the touring ride ride that you've gotten used to. I'm guessing that if you are borrowing your fathers bike and rebuilding another, that you don't have oodles of extra cash hanging around. If that's true then it would most likely be wasting some of it, because you'll be looking to sell it in the not to distant future.

But like I said, I don't have any experience with any of the bikes you've mentioned, except for the 650. Remember, you get what you pay for and you didn't pay me a thing for this particular opinion.
Thank you for this feedback. This is definitely a more in-depth answer than I ever thought I’d get, thank you for these in-depth answers.

·
Registered
'12 Roadstar Silverado S in white, '14 red VFR dx
66 Posts
took almost 20 years off riding and got back in with the 650, very very low miles. Ok at 55. Out on the slab? Getting it to 65-70 and it vibed so bad like I was wringing it out. Had it less than 2 weeks. Upgraded to a custom 1100. Much better, never felt like I was running out of revs

·
Super Moderator
8,025 Posts
Definitely the 1100 since you’re used to the Goldwing.
Be sure to hop over to the new members introductions section, and BTW, welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts