Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, from Yuba City CA (45 miles north of Sacramento). I started riding when I was 15 1/2 and rode for nearly the next 10 years, except for sometime in the USAF, but stopped after a pickup crossed the white line and we collided head-on at about 30mph. I received a dime size carpet and a destroyed motorcycle but will never forget the sound of my helmet scraping down the asphalt.

Fast forward many years, I'm 69, and I realized some changes must come about after a great loss. I decided to ride again so I can see all the places that I could only pass-by as a truck driver. All during the time I was driving I filled in on working on everything from lawn mowers to 18 wheeler's. To say the least, and with modesty, I understand how mechanical objects work.

When I started my motorcycle search I was interested in a touring bike, after riding a few I realized I needed a bike with a lower seat height so I switched my search to a cruiser bike. I have ridden Harleys before and always preferred sportsters so when I saw the Yamaha V-star I was hooked (sorry Honda all the rest). I imagined buying a 1100 or 1300 classic, but no! I kept being drawn to the 650’s. I realized from my short tenure as a car salesman, buying iron is not a rational decision.

I finally pulled the plug on a 2005 Yamaha V-star midnight custom, pictured below. I realize the fuel limits but I'll use the phone app Waze for finding fuel stops.

I chose StarBike forums as it is an active, friendly and knowledgeable place. I hope to meet many of you on the forums and a few in person.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,499 Posts
Welcome from Houston, Texas. There are many here with simular stories, ride long time ago, so time off and now back in the saddle. Good looking bike and very reliable. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/7-starbikeforums-bike-month/

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/49-v-star/5655-yammy-ya-got.html?highlight=Yammy

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/36-lounge/110258-where-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/11-general-bike-talk/25113-how-experienced-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/36-lounge/113714-how-mature-you.html

Ride often and safe.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Nice bike. My biker experience is quite similar to yours except that I somehow always had a bike in my garage. One day a guy gave me a 70's Honda 350 CBT with only about 1000 miles on it. I sold the bike for 400 dollars to buy a 1983 V-Star 920 cc model J which was real nice. I did not ride these bikes very much because I did not have the budget to fix them up properly. Last year, I bought a V-Star 650 Classic and I love it. Next year....I may even get my licence to ride motorcycles. I'm 71.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Welcome from Atlantic Canada, Rufus. Great choice on your bike and on finding this forum. It really is the most active and friendly forum I've ever been a part of. I'm one of the people Les mentioned who got back into riding after a long hiatus. Like you I've been riding since I was very young but marriage, mortgages, and kids left me without one for a long time. I finally got back into it on an 1100 and in 2 years I've got about 16,000 miles on it. I'm only 54, but I'm loving every time I can throw my leg over it and hope I can still do it for many years to come.

I was also a long hauler driver and I can relate to being everywhere and seeing none of it. I'm hoping to move up to bigger bike soon so my wife and I can start doing longer tours in more comfort so I too can check out some of the places I've been. Anyway, like I said, welcome and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions about your new ride.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Welcome. 57, and stated riding 9 years ago. About 6K miles per year. I agree, this is a great site and, as you said, "it is an active, friendly and knowledgeable place".

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Congrats on your new ride. Yamaha has produced several motorcycles at are perfect, in the aspect that I cannot think of anything they should have done differently. The Vstar 650 was one of those.

I got my license when I was 54, after asking myself "why dont I have a motorcycle license and what am I waiting for?!"

I recommend you take the MSF beginners riding course. Even though you are not a beginner rider, the classes will give you decades of lessons learned from the experience of thousands of riders and instructors. Its a 3 day course, half the time in the class and the other half practicing on their bikes in a big parking lot. Its about $250 to $300. The first time you do not drop your bike, because of things you learned in the course, it will have paid for itself. Then next 10 accidents you avoid after that are all frosting on the MSF cake.

I dont understand what "a dime size carpet" is. Im guessing that autospell changed one of your words, but I got nothing... a scar maybe?!

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome and encouragement.

• KCW: I’m planning on taking the MSF course soon, depending on the weather. In meantime I’ll be doing a lot of parking lot riding. “a dime size carpet” should have been, “a dime size carpet burn”.

• A special shout-out to the Canadian riders. My wife was Canadian.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts