Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only owned one other bike, a Honda Rebel for about 2 months...4 years ago. So I pretty novice at motorcycles.

I bought a 2000 V-Star 650 Model XVS65.

It started right up, took it around the block and out onto some larger streets. Shifted well, loved it. No knock, no jerking, smooth ride.

On the way back home, after purchasing it I noticed something very odd.

When the choke is pulled out, I can come to a complete stop. Pull in the clutch, roll of the throttle and have no problems.

However, if I push the choke in and pull in the clutch and roll of the throttle the engine seems to shut off.

I can come to a stop and keep a little throttle on and she is fine, nothing happens. But as soon as I let go, with the clutch squeezed tight, she turns off, but will start right up again with the switch and a little throttle.

I am going to take it as soon as I can just for general inspection and cleanup, however I am curious if anyone knows what the cause of this issue could be?

Thank you for the help, I look forward to being a rider of this bike for sometime.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sounds to me like the carbs need a little cleanin' - before ripping them apart, run a can of Seafoam through a tank of gas and see if that helps. If not, pull the carbs and fully clean and re-install.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Carbs

Luke,

Some good points there, check them first. But there are some questions. Has the bike been worked on, like maybe changing exhaust or air intake? If so it may need rejeted. Here are some tests you can do to check it out. One of them is the choke test. If the bike runs better with the chock half way out it could be a sign the bike is lean. This site has some good info on hte V Star 650, look around.

http://650ccnd.com/trouble.htm

Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dumb questions or not, thank you for the help.

The idle was a little low, and while the problem has lessened, it has not stopped.

I haven't added seafoam because I am unfamiliar with the product and not had a chance to read up on if I should have a semi-empty tank before adding. This I will do right now.

The previous owner said he has not done anything aftermarket and he was the second owner of the bike. Looking at it and comparing it with other stock models on the net, I don't see a major difference.

The bike does perform better with the choke out a bit, but I can only tell a difference when I am slowing down and need to idle. When taking it down the highway today, choke halfway out or pushed in did not make a difference in performance. When I came to a stop I had to keep giving it throttle with the clutch pulled in...while trying to stop. It was interesting to say the least to perform.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Your carbs are a little dirty. The SeaFoam is a carb cleaner, like Berryman B12 before it. It's a good brand and people around here trust it. Just read the label for dilution instructions. I usually run twice what the can says. I'd run a full tank of fuel with the SeaFoam Mix before I'd even think about taking the carbs off to clean.

You're right about the choke it's useful for checking idle mixture, but at increased throttle positions the amount of additional fuel' effect is much less noticeable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts