Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there fellas. Haven't gotten my license yet (MSF course is next weekend), but i just picked up a 2010 V Star 650 Custom and figured i'd join a forum, seeing as i ALREADY have a few questions to ask that would be better geared towards more educated, experienced folks such as yourselves rather than my buddies. Still have yet to order gear or anything, so i could really use the help (IE what type of jacket to go for; textile versus leather, etc)
Looking forward to get to know you all, as well as chiming in with any information i might be able to provide!

·
Super Moderator
6,088 Posts
Hi lambo, welcome to the forum. Congrats on your new purchase on the 650, and for taking an MSF course right from the start. You'll learn a lot from it making you more confident in riding.
We're fortunate to have the best members on the best forum going in my opinion. You'll get a lot of suggestions and ideas on gear from a lot of experienced riders.
One thing we're really big on is pics. We love em' here, so please share some of your new bike with us.
We're glad you joined us and ride safely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi lambo, welcome to the forum. Congrats on your new purchase on the 650, and for taking an MSF course right from the start. You'll learn a lot from it making you more confident in riding.
We're fortunate to have the best members on the best forum going in my opinion. You'll get a lot of suggestions and ideas on gear from a lot of experienced riders.
One thing we're really big on is pics. We love em' here, so please share some of your new bike with us.
We're glad you joined us and ride safely!

Bike needs a little love first; it's fairly dusty from sitting in the guys garage for the last year. Once its cleaned up ill certainly post some. Bike is about as close to new as you can get, haha.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The type of gear you get will primarily be dictated by your climate and the weather you want to ride in. I have 3 jackets to cover cold (leather), hot (mesh) and rain (Joe Rocket Atomic) as well as riding pants to go with it.

Having said that, I mostly use my mesh (Central TX, the temp today on my ride home was pushing 90).

Personally, I'd recommend getting something you'd wear right when you start riding and buy the gear as you need it (i.e. if you start feeling hot, buy a mesh jacket), etc..

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Welcome from Maritime Canada, lambo. You got yourself a real nice ride there. Karim is right about the jackets. I have a heavy leather jacket which was fine until the temps got over 20C (70F). I nearly roasted on my way home from work, even with the vents open, and it's going to get a lot hotter soon. As much as I prefer leather, I'll probably get a mesh for warm weather riding.

·
Registered
102 Posts
lambo,

Welcome to the forum from Houston and congrats on the bike. Keith is right about the pics we all love them. As far as jackets all I wear is mesh, although I will layer when it gets to colder. I would also suggest you get a good pair of riding boots. I have a pair of Tour Master but just added a pair of HD boots due to getting an HD gift card. You would think that folks would know what brand of ride I have. Ugh

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I cleaned her up today, nice and shiny (despite the darn pollen; by tomorrow im sure itll be dirty again). The choke wasnt fully depressed, hence the hot exhaust issue, i think.
I ordered a leather jacket late last night from Revzilla, not realizing you dont get the cash back on the joe rocket stuff, plus after seeing all of my buddies running textile gear i think i may go with either a hybrid or a higher end textile. Just so many options out there...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm sure my wife would disagree, but no such thing as too much gear (it's always good to have options).

Also, good on you for taking the MSF course. I try to do the BRC2 every couple of years just to keep my ego in check.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
when you take the course they will cover proper riding gear. It was a real eye opener for me.

I have been riding for 4 years now and I got most of my gear from a rider/sale guy at a local shop who hit a deer at 60mph, slid it out on asphalt, and walked away only bruised. He has all the gear at the shop that he was wearing at the time, and its a very effective demo of what the gear is for.

For me, top to bottom:

full face helmet: HJC carbon fiber composite RPHA 10. I like my teeth and my face. $140 super deal online. Silver -visibility is important on your helmet.

Neck. made cover for my neck. When its below 50F the cold gets between your helmet and jacket - need something like a skier would wear.

jacket: Tourmaster mesh red and black. This is a three layer mesh / windbreaker / thermal layer jacket that you can quickly adjust for temperature and put the stuff you dont want in your saddle bag: $240 4 years ago, still like new after 20k miles.

Gloves: have two sets, tourmaster 3 season gloves for most riding: $40. Set of split leather lined gloves for below 50F.

Boots: I got tourmaster solution WP 2.0 boots (seeing a pattern here) for $120 from bike bandit. There are a lot of good boots out there. This is the one area most people ignore, but if you ever drop the bike your boots will be the difference between wearing a cast on your ankle for 2 months and getting up and walking away.

I normally wear heavy jeans for pants, and if its cold I wear two pairs, the outer one 2 inches bigger in the waist.

A good set of riding gear is about $1000. Keep in mind it is ALL totally expendable - when you go down at speed it is all destroyed and must be replaced. Keep that in mind before you spend a fortune on a nice leather jacket. BTW, your insurance will cover your gear in an accident, at least mine does from Progressive.

The other big thing to keep in mind is visibility. When I first got my permit I was thinking black - black - black - black gear cause it would look cool. Now all my gear is red and silver, only my boots are black.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, my gear isn't exactly the most visible but i'll be wearing a reflective belt or ill steal a PT belt from my buddy or something reflective. Going to probably get some reflective decals or something on the helmet too, maybe some pinstriping or something.

What are your thoughts on 'tactical' boots? I Normally wear 5.11 ATAC boots, work great for Construction and what not and have fantastic ankle support (IMO).
I Ordered some leather gear and a helmet.. Ran about 1000$ Just like you said. We'll see how i like it. Revzilla seems to have some great return policies so if i dont like it when it gets here ill order a textile set of gear and return the one i dont like as much.. I'd prefer the safety of Leather but after seeing my buddies in textile gear, i'm regretting that purchase a bit. Apparently im going to be the only one rocking leather.

·
Super Moderator
6,088 Posts
I use 5.11 boots as well. As you said great ankle support. We get a yearly uniform allotment and I always get a pair or two of them. Work good for me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah, for boots, I'm running Bates tactical zipsides (under 70), bilt riding shoes over 70.

Helmet: HJC CS-r2, Iicon alliance

Gloves: tourmaster gore-tex (under 50), Iicon leather gloves over 50

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
The one thing that is important for boots is if you go down at speed and your foot is between the bike and the pavement, without a good set of boots it will grind your ankle down to the bone in seconds, because the weight of the bike will be on your foot.

Crash bars are one solution, a riding boot with coverage over your ankles is another.

I see kids riding sports bikes wearing a cotton hoodie and sneakers, and I just want to kick them in the ass with my boot. If they dont like it they can kick me in the ass with their sneaker and we will have an ass kicking contest and see who wins o_O ?

The best way I can put it is this: Tomorrow at 5pm you are going to drop your bike at 60 mph on the pavement, and there is nothing you can do to prevent it... but the good news is YOU get to choose today what you want to wear:

1. speedo swim shorts and a tank top and flip flops
2. cotton pants, a hoodie and sneakers
3. Full up class 1 racing gear....

there are so many times when I need to make a short trip, just a few miles away, and Im tempted to not put all my gear on.
The thing that stops me is I know it takes about 3 minutes for me to completely suit up
and it would take me about 3 months to recover and heal if today is my 5PM date with destiny.

After 4 years of riding, if I take my bike up the block and back to check out a noise on my bike, without all my gear on, I feel quite naked.

BTW, today I stopped at the Goodwill Thrift store and found a pair of new Harley cold weather gauntlet leather gloves: $20, in my size. Now I hope its 35F monday morning so I can try them out properly on my ride to work :^)

For your first set of gear get what you need for now. Then keep your eyes open over the years, and you will find some great deals.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts