Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not new to riding but new to vstar. Just purchased a 2002 VStar 650 classic and reading and absorbing all the information i can about these bikes.
I live in here Idaho. Seems like a great forum and a lot of knowledge here!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Welcome to forum! You will gain much knowledge here about your ride and make great friends along the way. Ride safe and enjoy~YammyV

·
2,534 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Ask away and I'm sure someone will answer any questions you may have.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,536 Posts
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Ride often and safe.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcome. Picked up bike tonight. Needs a cleaning. It has floor boards highway pegs, windshield and saddle bags. Only has solo seat. Also has a hypercharger kit installed on it. (I know there is not a performance benefit other than jetting but hey, it came with the bike)
Now the exhaust does look stock but does not look like any of the exhaust pipes I see on any of the images i Google.
I looked in them with a flashlight and baffles are installed but it is rather louder than I expected.
Maybe Yamaha used different types of exhaust depending on shipping destinations?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
that is definitely an aftermarket exhaust. The stock exhaust is very quiet. You are probably running 5 to 8HP higher than a stock bike, if the jets were set right with the other mods.

You probably have not hit the peak HP on the curve yet - its about 55mph in 4th gear, and 70mph in 5th. If you get on an interstate and shift into 4th at about 30mph, and crank it WFO you will feel it take off and start growling at 55. Shift into 5th at 60mph and it will do it again at about 70mph.

Or if you really want to feel the power curve - shift into 5th gear at about 40mph and then hold the throttle wide open. It is an incredible thing to feel the bike accelerating faster and faster as your speed is increasing.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have only had it to 50 mph which was actually 45 according to my son who followed me home.
The rider I bought it from was a female who told me she only has ridden it 65 mph max because that was the speed she was comfortable at.
All the service work was done at a motorsport dealership.
Seemed maintained well. Oil is clean and does not leak or smoke.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts