Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

New Owner

969 views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  VstarRookie 
#1 ·
Last June two of my son's and I spent almost a week riding in the NC/TN Smokey's. My 2003 Goldwing ended up with a damaged alternator drive gear that ended my time on it. My oldest let me ride his 650 VStar on the Dragon and Parkway one day while he relaxed at the cabin. Big mistake...too much fun.

Fast forward to two weeks ago when we finally trailered the Wing to a dealer for repair. After dropping it off we looked at their offerings in the showroom and saw it; a black, shiny in all the right places and priced what we thought was right 2011 VStar 950 tourer.

My wife agreed I could get a cruiser as my age is creeping up and wanted something smaller that provided a different motorcycle experience than the Wing. Two phone calls, texts with photos to her and a brief test ride (when I hit 3rd gear I knew) I bought it.

I was convinced I was going to get a Honda Rebel 1100, but the 950 felt right and gave me an enthusiasm when I sat on it that the Rebel didn't and at less than a third of the price.

This is going to be a fun riding season.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Motor vehicle Vehicle

See less See more
#6 ·
Plant Motor vehicle Tree Asphalt Road surface

#17 ·
Last June two of my son's and I spent almost a week riding in the NC/TN Smokey's. My 2003 Goldwing ended up with a damaged alternator drive gear that ended my time on it. My oldest let me ride his 650 VStar on the Dragon and Parkway one day while he relaxed at the cabin. Big mistake...too much fun.

Fast forward to two weeks ago when we finally trailered the Wing to a dealer for repair. After dropping it off we looked at their offerings in the showroom and saw it; a black, shiny in all the right places and priced what we thought was right 2011 VStar 950 tourer.

My wife agreed I could get a cruiser as my age is creeping up and wanted something smaller that provided a different motorcycle experience than the Wing. Two phone calls, texts with photos to her and a brief test ride (when I hit 3rd gear I knew) I bought it.

I was convinced I was going to get a Honda Rebel 1100, but the 950 felt right and gave me an enthusiasm when I sat on it that the Rebel didn't and at less than a third of the price.

This is going to be a fun riding season.
View attachment 125425
Very beautiful! Those saddlebags are sweet! I have a 650 but a coworker popped up with a 950, no windshield but it was looking very mean!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.